Never tire

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

November 7th, 2008, 5:34 pm #1

"Never grow weary of doing good." That's in the New Testament somewhere. I had to remind myself of that this morning when I got back from facing the morning traffic to take my son to school. It's a 45 minute round trip most mornings even though the school is only 3 miles away. I sit at stoplights and watch my gas gauge go down!
After arriving home I received a phone call from a single mom who has no vehicle. She had overslept and her daughter had missed the school bus. Could I take her?
I made her way about 30 minutes so the traffic would be past it's peak and I kept reminding myself, "Never grow weary of doing good."
It made me think of what you volunteer to do, Ron, as you transport Senior Citizens to different locations. Thanks for your work! Treat yourself to a meals on wheels.

Ron Crowley
Ron Crowley

November 7th, 2008, 8:51 pm #2

Tony, writing that note must have been because of divine inspiration. I picked up an obviously once attractive woman from one of the senior residences this morning(she had lost 45 pounds). She told me she has just been diagnosed with developing Alzheimer's Disease. I told her about the new movie with Julie Christie, Away From Her(fantastic!) and generally got her feeling up(she's the youngest by 15 years in the posh retirement home!)and told her I'd see her in an hour. I was home by twelve(I had also done eight in town errands) when the phone rang and it was Jane,my dispatcher.
I knew.
She had already dispatched another driver for the pickup at K Mart because I live too far out in the rhubarb.
I'm ashamed when I screw up and especially with a woman who was depending on me to get her home safely.
It's much similar to teaching. One wins every standing ovation and then one goof or one cranky parent plunges one into a time of self doubt. Regardless, the Scouting speech must be finished today and that has to be accompanied by practice and practice. Thank goodness it's Friday. I'll phone the woman after supper. I have two more rides Monday.
Thanks, Tony you really helped. Ron

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

November 7th, 2008, 10:25 pm #3

Oops! Sorry. That's from the wayward son country.

I have often thought that my two biggest regrets are
1. The things I said that should not have been said. (Often for a laugh.)
2. The things I didn't do that I could have done.

Wouldn't it be great to look back and say, "I feel that I did as much as I could" and "I have few regrets for what I said."

Ron Crowley
Ron Crowley

November 9th, 2008, 11:50 am #4

I survived last night's Mass. it helped that it was first time for two young, darling, Grade Four girls as altar servers. The country church's eyes were on them throughout the whole service so it took the spotlight off a guest such as me.
Regarding your wish list: last night the priest described how the early Christians were being attacked in the Greek-influenced countries as being godless. A leading Greek scholar came to their defense by saying that one only had to look at the good works they did daily to see that they were good people. Thus, perhaps there is hope for us as we try to help people as volunteers. And history shows many rulers kept a fool in their court because they were the only ones who said things that all others were afraid to utter.
And I'm recovering from my goof with one of the people I drove on Friday. At the time I forgot to pick up one woman, I was in a seniors' residence settling a once famous play director who I had driven out earlier for groceries.
Yesterday I phoned the other Alzheimer patient to apologize and she said,"Ron, I want you as my driver from now on. On the way there it was great. And Ron,nobody knows better than me what it is like to forget something."
Tony, one thing I've learned from Thursday night research meetings with the family members of mental health people is the phrase, "I'm trying the best that I can"
Shalom.