Mic-Mouth: What to do when volunteer won't stay behind it

Mic-Mouth: What to do when volunteer won't stay behind it

April 9th, 2012, 2:57 am #1

So, I had my first opportunity to use the Mic-Mouth in an Easter show yesterday. I called up a volunteer with "a good voice" and used the fake microphone to have him introduce himself. It (of course) didn't work, so I got a new one (this one was the Mic-Mouth). But, as I put the prop up to his face, he tilted his head back in disgust. He wouldn't let me get it near him! So, I "tested it out" on myself, to show how it worked. Then I attempted to but it back in front of him. No good; he kept dodging the prop. So, I called someone else up. She let me put it in front of her face. The Mic-Mouth said one word, "Hey!!!" then she immediately put her hands over her mouth, then ran back to her seat. So, I had no choice but to do the whole routine on myself, with the Mic-Mouth up to my face. Super awkward. I think I was able to save the moment (or at least keep it from ruining the whole show), but I'd like for this not to happen again.

Has anyone had this happen before? Have you ever had a problem getting the prop to stay on someone's face? How do you deal with it?

A few notes: The kid wasn't so young that he might be afraid of the prop--he was probably a 5th grader. The show was in a church in which I had done years of successful shows, and they are used to me being a ventriloquist, so the talking mouth won't be a shocker either.

I know a lot of you are using the Mic-Mouth all the time with great success. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

April 9th, 2012, 4:27 am #2

I think you'll find that kids who don't know you as well are more apt to let it stay in front of them. I haven't had much trouble. If it happens again just say, "Oh, that's okay. You don't have to do this. These lips kids a pig and you know what they say. Lips that touch swine shall never touch mine. But would you choose someone else who is willing to stand still for the song? Make sure their hand is raised."

Ax
Ax

April 10th, 2012, 3:58 am #3

So, I had my first opportunity to use the Mic-Mouth in an Easter show yesterday. I called up a volunteer with "a good voice" and used the fake microphone to have him introduce himself. It (of course) didn't work, so I got a new one (this one was the Mic-Mouth). But, as I put the prop up to his face, he tilted his head back in disgust. He wouldn't let me get it near him! So, I "tested it out" on myself, to show how it worked. Then I attempted to but it back in front of him. No good; he kept dodging the prop. So, I called someone else up. She let me put it in front of her face. The Mic-Mouth said one word, "Hey!!!" then she immediately put her hands over her mouth, then ran back to her seat. So, I had no choice but to do the whole routine on myself, with the Mic-Mouth up to my face. Super awkward. I think I was able to save the moment (or at least keep it from ruining the whole show), but I'd like for this not to happen again.

Has anyone had this happen before? Have you ever had a problem getting the prop to stay on someone's face? How do you deal with it?

A few notes: The kid wasn't so young that he might be afraid of the prop--he was probably a 5th grader. The show was in a church in which I had done years of successful shows, and they are used to me being a ventriloquist, so the talking mouth won't be a shocker either.

I know a lot of you are using the Mic-Mouth all the time with great success. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Hmmm...I haven't heard much about this reaction, but it could be that the boy was reacting to being "15" and didn't want to be the "stooge" on stage...too cool? Younger kids, or adults seem to be the target demographic for cooperative fun with this. Don't give up and remember you don't have to touch them with the mouth, even though you have a clean layer of tape on the back. Ax

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

April 11th, 2012, 12:10 am #4

I just noticed the title on Steve's last post! Very funny!