looking for Jungle ideas

looking for Jungle ideas

August 7th, 2012, 1:25 am #1

I am in the early stages of putting together my 2013 VBS/Camp/Crusade programing. I've decided to do a jungle safari theme. I calling it Hatari Safari which means Life's Journey. I will be doing Vent with Axtell puppets as well as story telling, chalk art, and magic. I'll be using a lot of the "Jungle Doctor Fables". Normally at this stage of the planning process for me, I gather any story, idea or trick I can find put the down on paper the decide each days (which there are 5) topic and then pull from the idea sheet to compile a show.

I plan on using 5 Puppets, the cheeky monkey, a cocatoo, a parrot, a toucan, and of course the king of the jungle a lion. I will be sort of british safari explore type character.

So that brings me to my questions. Have any of you done a jungle theme? What ideas worked well for you? Also what are some jungle themed tricks or object lesson you have done?

Also ere is my logo for the program.

Rick Cina
Rick Cina

August 7th, 2012, 2:54 am #2

Might be some ideas in here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqxcEnfrl1U

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

August 7th, 2012, 5:06 am #3

I am in the early stages of putting together my 2013 VBS/Camp/Crusade programing. I've decided to do a jungle safari theme. I calling it Hatari Safari which means Life's Journey. I will be doing Vent with Axtell puppets as well as story telling, chalk art, and magic. I'll be using a lot of the "Jungle Doctor Fables". Normally at this stage of the planning process for me, I gather any story, idea or trick I can find put the down on paper the decide each days (which there are 5) topic and then pull from the idea sheet to compile a show.

I plan on using 5 Puppets, the cheeky monkey, a cocatoo, a parrot, a toucan, and of course the king of the jungle a lion. I will be sort of british safari explore type character.

So that brings me to my questions. Have any of you done a jungle theme? What ideas worked well for you? Also what are some jungle themed tricks or object lesson you have done?

See the zoo post I brought back up. It has some ideas that might work for jungle.

I remember The Wall and the monkey who got his hand stuck in a bottle from the Jungle Doctor series. Great parables.
I still use the wall with some cheap masks from www.orientaltrading.com and audience volunteers.

Paint a stiff rope with magic markers to look like a snake. Add a forked tongue on one end. Then you can "hypnotize" the snake. Or use it to tell the story of Moses' rod that turned into a snake.

Flea tricks are good for the jungle as well. I use the Uncanny Silks and stiff rope to demonstrate the trained flea.
You can also use a rising card, the clatter box (flea gets mad and busts his house), or a slip knot trick (place the knot in a box and when you pull it out the flea has untied it.)

Jam Magic had two great jungle tricks. Tiny the Tiger used the Professor's Nightmare and some beautiful large cards. They also had Chico the Chimp and one with an ape in a hut. Try www.jammagic.com. However, I don't think they still sell. You may have to search ebay.

Polly the Parrot is a card trick that looks great as well. Also, no longer made, but it may come up since you have some time.

August 7th, 2012, 11:34 am #4

Thanks Tony, All I have used the jungle doctor stuff forever, the wall and the monkey trap are two of my faves as well. I had not thought of the flea as a jungle animal but i guess all animals would have fleas, so it makes sense. I will put them on my list.

As far as the JAM Magic tricks go I have a special connection there. I spent several years with Dave Mitchell (owner and creator of JAM) as an assistant building those tricks as well as working with him in church. He was my wife's children's pastor many years ago and I was a children's leader/inter under him. I consider him a mentor as well as a best friend. He is helping me put this program together as well. He does school shows as Ben Franklin now and we do not get to spend as much time together as we used to but we still stay in contact. we Just went to Vent Have together it was a blast. The school shows keep him on the road so much that he doesn't have the time to keep the magic shop going, but he gets out there some in the sumer time to do a small number of tricks and props. He and I have talked about redoing his website and listing some more of his products on a limited basis. I will also be redoing his school show web site in the next coming weeks I'll post a link to it when it done. I guess this is a bit more info than was necessary, but hey he's my pal.

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

August 7th, 2012, 2:47 pm #5

Dave Mitchell was always one of my favorites to watch emcee at I-Fest. He is hilarious! I have pretty much worn out a Pet Store trick I got from him. I did wear out Tiny the Tiger, but still use the ropes in a story.

August 14th, 2012, 11:41 pm #6

Finished costuming for my Safari program

Suzie
Suzie

August 15th, 2012, 12:08 am #7

That is a really great look for your jungle program.

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

August 15th, 2012, 1:14 am #8

Great look! However, I wouldn't use the real gun in the photo. Schools, libraries, daycares, and others would fear that you bring it to the show. I think a large fishing net held like a butterfly net might be more visual and more appropriate.

August 15th, 2012, 1:35 am #9

Thanks. The gun is fake, it a toy ( I used PVC and a bicycle horn to make it look like an old blunderbuss elephant gun) and It is only for the pics
Last edited by RevRoy on August 15th, 2012, 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 15th, 2012, 1:52 am #10

If you have access to a table saw I can give you a pretty good magic trick idea I do in just about every magic show I do. With a table saw, a drill, and a sander you can make this in about 30 minutes, and then you'll have to paint it.
You can make this for either a small stage, or a large stage version.

E-mail me if you are interested, and I'll send you a picture and instructions on how to make it.

Also, if you have an Axtell special effects drawing board, I could give you an idea of how you could use it in a jungle show.

wizardpa@bellsouth.net

Chris
Last edited by wizardpa on August 15th, 2012, 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.