Help! PA System

Help! PA System

Suzie
Suzie

March 28th, 2012, 9:20 pm #1

Hey, My trusted family. Any of you own and use Axtell Expressions Protable Wireless PA System?
To me it sounds like a nice one.
Reason I am asking. I got a call from a facility this afternoon to come and do my puppets for Nursing Home Residents.
Oh Gee. I tried as hard as I could over the phone to explain to her I Vent. I am still not sure if she understood me or not. It seems once they here the word Puppet/Puppets one thing sticks.
Anyway, she was given my name by a lady that had seen me do the puppets and loved it. So...there you have that much of the story.
Anyway, the sound system they have there is questionable for me to do a good job for the Residents.
So...if you all have any feed back about the Ax system...Pleeeeze shout it out. No Pun intended. Haahahaha
I figure it is a pretty good setup since Ax stands behind all his products.
But...I would still like some input from you all. Maybe you have used one around Residents with lack of hearing. I really do not want them to read my lips. Haahahaha

March 28th, 2012, 10:42 pm #2

I believe a portable Amp is a must have for Ventriloquists. You'll be able to use it either in situation where you do not have access to electricity or if you do. I find that the louder I try to speak the more likely I might move my lips. If I had a PA system 25 years ago, I would have been venting back then.

You can not go wrong with the Hisonic Portable Amp, that Ax sells.

Also a lot of entertainers like the Happie Amp.

I now own 2 truly rechargeable portable Amps, and 2 that use to be rechargeable, but no longer hold a charge, but yet I still use them when I have access to electricity.

I also own a larger system, for the times when I'm doing a show in a larger environment, but this system requires electricity.

You'll find many vents and magicians swearing by different brands.

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

March 28th, 2012, 11:10 pm #3

Hey, My trusted family. Any of you own and use Axtell Expressions Protable Wireless PA System?
Reason I am asking. I got a call from a facility this afternoon to come and do my puppets for Nursing Home Residents.
Oh Gee. I tried as hard as I could over the phone to explain to her I Vent. I am still not sure if she understood me or not. It seems once they here the word Puppet/Puppets one thing sticks.
Anyway, she was given my name by a lady that had seen me do the puppets and loved it. So...there you have that much of the story.
Anyway, the sound system they have there is questionable for me to do a good job for the Residents.
So...if you all have any feed back about the Ax system...Pleeeeze shout it out. No Pun intended. Haahahaha
But...I would still like some input from you all. Maybe you have used one around Residents with lack of hearing. I really do not want them to read my lips. Haahahaha
Here are my opinions:
1. I rarely need just batteries, but it would be convenient for birthdays or outdoors. Most outdoor functions require a larger amp than 50 watts.
I have been able to plug my system in at 99.9% of places so the battery powered option is not a necessity. (But convenient).
2. A 20 watt system will do a maximum of 100 people in a library (packed in) setting. Might do 50 outside.
3. A 35 watt system should do 150 people pretty easily inside. And these are laughing audiences.
4. A 50 watt system might do 200 inside.
5. A 100 watt system will fill a school multi-purpose room, though two speakers will even out the sound more. (I have used one for years).
6. A 300 watt system will fill an indoor gymnasium for speaking.
Bands, etc. will need more to make the music clear.
Outdoor audiences zap the sound very quickly. 100 watts is not enough for most outdoor large or noisy events.

The quality of the mic is important. So if you can upgrade the mic that comes with a system, do so.
A graphic equalizer is better than just a bass and treble. I have a 5 band graphic equalizer on my one speaker PA and it can sound pretty good for my voice. However, when I adjust it for voice it isn't that great for music. But that's okay with me. A way to adjust each channel would be nice.

Transportation: If it is over 10 pounds try to get one that has wheels! It gets really old lugging a heavy P.A.

The Mackie SRM 150 and a Samson Airline 77 wireless headset mic (with no beltpac) will fill 90% of your current needs. (The Axtell system might also!)
Most churches have a sound system for you to use.

March 28th, 2012, 11:13 pm #4

I use the HappiAmp extensively--for indoor and outdoor crowds. It has never let me down.

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

March 29th, 2012, 12:00 am #5

Which size do you have, John? It comes in two different sizes.

March 29th, 2012, 2:05 am #6

Guess it'd be the little one-- the five pounder. I LOVE it!

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

March 29th, 2012, 3:00 am #7

Here is a quote from a fellow who writes for a magician's magazine. He suggests that a Happie Amp and a Honeytone mini-amp (belt pac for birthdays) will do what you need.

Christian Conjurer Magazine January/February - 2009 Vul.53-1: "Portable sound systems for Entertainers"

""After reviewing the Danelectro Honeytone N-10 Guitar Mini-Amplifier, Apollo Portable Wireless 25w PA system, Fender Passport 150 Portable PA system, Nady WA 120 Portable PA system with Wireless Omni-Lavaliere Mic, and the Happie Amp (referred to as GTDAudio system) "Final Recommendations and Tips For most performers, I would highly recommend getting an iPod, Honeytone mini-amp, and the GTDAudio system (that's the Happie Amp). That would allow you to get through most performing situations with a great audio system that can act as a backup for a built-in house sound system or as your primary audio." - Tim Cimbura" - Tim Cimbura

MikeC
MikeC

March 29th, 2012, 8:32 am #8

I know how lame this is gonna sound but...

When using your iphones' ipod function, its possible for people to call while pod is in use and your audience hears Aunty Bertha asking you to pick up eggs during the punchline...

So does anyone out there do this? Is there a way to disable the incoming calls/phone function?

I had to know...

Suzie
Suzie

March 29th, 2012, 8:50 am #9

Thanks, To all of you!