Handling kids

Handling kids

Suzie
Suzie

April 1st, 2012, 10:06 pm #1

I know there are a lot of Bullying Programs going on. I am having Axtell build me a little girl. I was thinking about doing a skit to show how she supports kids or herself that get teased.
When I was growing up, we had teasers, and we had bullying going on. Maybe there is really no difference. When I was a kid there was. The teasers picked and you could get even or out smart them as a way of getting back. The others were just down right mean, and needed a good knock up side the head. I guess I am telling my age.
I am hoping to do a skit with her using her head as a way of getting back that will not hurt anyone.
When I was growing up I got teased alot. I out smarted all but one. I ended up cleaning his clock. He backed off after that.
I want this little girl to be smarter at handling such kids.
Do you all call teasing bullying these days? Or is there still a difference?
I have a lot of ideas, but I am open minded for any thoughts you all might have. We may already be on the same page.

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

April 2nd, 2012, 1:26 am #2

There is a recent bullying thread with a couple of posts, plus an older one with some ideas. I define bullying as "When someone hurts you, your feelings, or your belongings and they do it often and on purpose." That goes over the kids heads so I mention specifics later. Such as a person who takes lunches, (they used to take money but schools have a better system now), or a person who takes your pencils, or breaks your things.

I find it best not to teach little kids the word Bully because they will call everything bullying.

Suzie
Suzie

April 2nd, 2012, 1:50 am #3

I know there are a lot of Bullying Programs going on. I am having Axtell build me a little girl. I was thinking about doing a skit to show how she supports kids or herself that get teased.
When I was growing up, we had teasers, and we had bullying going on. Maybe there is really no difference. When I was a kid there was. The teasers picked and you could get even or out smart them as a way of getting back. The others were just down right mean, and needed a good knock up side the head. I guess I am telling my age.
I am hoping to do a skit with her using her head as a way of getting back that will not hurt anyone.
When I was growing up I got teased alot. I out smarted all but one. I ended up cleaning his clock. He backed off after that.
I have a lot of ideas, but I am open minded for any thoughts you all might have. We may already be on the same page.
What I read in the earlier postings was a little stronger flavor than what I had in mind.

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

April 2nd, 2012, 2:13 am #4

Got it. You could hold a mirror up to the little girl puppet and ask her what happens in the mirror.
If she smiles at it then it smiles back. (You can call it a magic mirror.) If she sticks her tongue out, then it does the same thing. If she teases the mirror it teases her right back at the same time.

She starts to get discourage because the mirror is making her sad. And it makes her mad! So you advise her to say something nice to the mirror. Then ask it a question. Then smile really big. Etc.

Suzie
Suzie

April 2nd, 2012, 8:36 am #5

More the flavor I was looking for. Hadn't thought of a mirror.

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

April 2nd, 2012, 10:58 pm #6

It doesn't have to be a mirror. It could be paper plate faces. Use simple drawings of mouth, dots for eyes, and eyebrows to show fear, sadness, happiness, surprise, sleepiness, etc. The goal would be to show that we can control how we feel sometimes.