Getting Started in Children's Shows

Getting Started in Children's Shows

April 26th, 2012, 3:41 pm #1

While I'm on unemployment, I need to turn a negative into a positive. I'd like to start earning a little pocket change by doing paid children's shows.

Our local library system may be able to book me, as well as a few other venues.

Here are my questions:

How the heck do I start?

Would I be able to print off a few of the Ax skits, tweak them and then perform them live [I don't want to use the recorded tracks]?

What are some FREE [remember, I'm not employed right now] sources for secular skits; or teaching guides to write my own skits?

Any other advice?

I'm learning vent, and I think I have it down well enough for kids shows. I'm no Edger Bergan, Taylor Mason, or Jeff Dunham [or Tony Borders, Steve Petra either], but kids may not care if my lips move a little.

HELP!!!!!

Thanks
Rog

I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made. I know that fully well.
Ps. 139 [NIV]

April 26th, 2012, 3:42 pm #2

And one more question: Should I just go out and do this, or should I eventually start it as a business--even if it's on the side after I get a job.

Thanks
Rog

I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made. I know that fully well.
Ps. 139 [NIV]

April 26th, 2012, 4:31 pm #3

While I'm on unemployment, I need to turn a negative into a positive. I'd like to start earning a little pocket change by doing paid children's shows.

Here are my questions:

How the heck do I start?

Would I be able to print off a few of the Ax skits, tweak them and then perform them live [I don't want to use the recorded tracks]?

What are some FREE [remember, I'm not employed right now] sources for secular skits; or teaching guides to write my own skits?

Any other advice?

I'm learning vent, and I think I have it down well enough for kids shows. I'm no Edger Bergan, Taylor Mason, or Jeff Dunham [or Tony Borders, Steve Petra either], but kids may not care if my lips move a little.

HELP!!!!!

Thanks
Rog

Ps. 139 [NIV]
...Have any of the male puppeteers/vents ever discovered that there are any puppet/vent groupies out there? I've noticed that a lot of women go for the actor, athlete, or musician types but what about us.

I'm a single guy, any one think that just maybe some really cute single lady will be watching me vent [or pup] and say to herself: "Wow! This short, fat, middle-aged dork that keeps talking to his hand is hot."....just a passing thought.

Thanks
Rog

Ps. 139 [NIV]

April 26th, 2012, 7:38 pm #4

Here are my questions:

How the heck do I start?

Any other advice?

HELP!!!!!

Thanks
Rog

Ps. 139 [NIV]
I would recommend that you get a real job first and do Children's shows as a side line, and mainly for fun.
In the market where I live, even though I advertise and I have a web site, I would starve to death if I depended on what I make off of magic/vent shows.
I'd also say, that it costs money to even get really started doing this. After I retired, and I decided that I wanted to get into entertaining children of all ages, from ages 1-105, I started to see the many things I needed.
I would say that even the people that depend on magic and puppets as their only source of income have spent years getting to where they are now at. There is no instant success.

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

April 26th, 2012, 7:55 pm #5

Here are my questions:

How the heck do I start?

Any other advice?

HELP!!!!!

Thanks
Rog

Ps. 139 [NIV]
Lots of good questions:
Regarding skits. Do a search for free puppet skits and you will find a site that categorizes them and has people rate them. This gives you some really good input.
Business first? Probably not. Just treat it as a hobby for right now. One thing you may need to worry about is whether income from this would keep you from getting unemployment. Your old boss might say, "Hey! Why am I paying him too?"
Single ladies: You can meet LOTS of single, available ladies. Just do senior citizen shows! I think the ration is 7 to 1! For other venues you are most likely to meet mother's of kids. I met my wife at a clown class, so anything is possible. She had these beautiful red lips, and nose. A smile that stretched almost ear to ear. Curly, colorful hair! Aaaah!

Suzie
Suzie

April 26th, 2012, 9:22 pm #6

Here are my questions:

How the heck do I start?

Any other advice?

HELP!!!!!

Thanks
Rog

Ps. 139 [NIV]
Be very careful walking on these waters. If you are unemployed and start up a business you could easily lose your unemployment. They compare it to people who sale homes for a living. Hey...they are working...they just don't always bring in any money.
I started a business years ago and tried to collect unemployment, because my primary job went bye-bye. They told me I could not collect unemployment cause I had the new business. I told them...it wasn't making anything yet. It was brand new. That is when they compared me to someone who sales homes for a living. AAARRRGGG!
Make it a hobby. Don't call it a real job yet!
I wish you luck on what ever you decide to do.

April 27th, 2012, 5:23 am #7

Here are my questions:

How the heck do I start?

Any other advice?

HELP!!!!!

Thanks
Rog

Ps. 139 [NIV]
www.puppetresources.com

I hope this helps. Please spend some time observing other performers. Don't copy them but be inspired by them!

Brett Belleque
Director of Children's Ministry Resources
InFaith
belleque1@yahoo.com
www.infaith.org

Pam Brooks
Pam Brooks

April 27th, 2012, 5:31 am #8

Here are my questions:

How the heck do I start?

Any other advice?

HELP!!!!!

Thanks
Rog

Ps. 139 [NIV]
The thought of a puppet groupie is interesting. I quess I'm a groupie fan of Terry Fator, but he went off and married his assistant. Oh well!

Rog maybe you can find someone to be your new assistant. Tony said he knew where to find alot of single gals.

Tony that was cute story on how you met your wife.

Years ago I had a college teacher who came to class one day and put on a red nose and told all of us that she finally found "Her People," she had just gotten back from a clown conference.

It's good when you can finally find "Your People."