Expo brand Markers and the Drawing Board

March 13th, 2008, 3:50 pm #1

I wanted to clarify some information on the Expo brand Markers that are required to use with the Drawing Board.

SANFORD the company who makes the EXPO brand markers used to call our preferred marker EXPO 2. It uses alcohol in them as the solvent. Now they have changed the name to EXPO LOW ODOR. This is the same marker as the old Expo 2...just a new name. They are fading out the Expo 2 brand name so you might still find them around.

EXPO (ORIGINAL INK) These are also dry erase but they have keytone in them as a solvent and will stain our plastic we use on the drawing board. NEVER use these plain EXPO markers (original ink)...they will stain the board.

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

March 13th, 2008, 5:07 pm #2

If you do find your plastic stained you can order replacements from Axtell. Steve has recommended in the past that you use rubbing alcohol to clean it. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

March 13th, 2008, 6:28 pm #3

Right Tony. Rubbing alcohol will remove Expo Low Odor / Expo 2 stains only. If you use plain Expo which is keytone based, or accidentally use permanent markers you need new plastic. You can order it on the illusions page http://www.axtell.com/illusions.html

Always wipe off your board, right after your performance.

Ax

Ken Rush
Ken Rush

March 31st, 2008, 10:47 pm #4

Steve...
I noticed after a while that the Expo 2 markers left a very faint outline on the plastic where I would draw the face and the face features. I used a product called Goo-Gone along with some cotton balls (and some elbow grease), and it cleaned the Board of the marker residue very well. Be sure to go back over the Board and remove the residue of the Goo-Gone thoroughly with cotton balls and alcohol. After this treatment, the plastic looked brand new! Be sure not to use the product called GOOF-OFF, as this will destroy your plastic!!!
Ken

April 1st, 2008, 1:42 am #5

I haven't tried that product, but rubbing alcohol is the solvent and works great.

Ax

Montana's Santa
Montana's Santa

April 1st, 2008, 3:27 am #6

If a color dries on my boarfd, I simply go over it a couple of times with the same color and wipe it off... it has alway worked so far.

April 1st, 2008, 3:09 pm #7

Yes Santa that works because the alcohol solvent is wet in the ink. That tip is on the website too. http://www.axtell.com/mdb.html

Never leave the drawings on the plastic for more than a day for best erasing....and never leave it in a hot car to bake on.... and warp the plastics.

Ax

Montana's Santa
Montana's Santa

April 2nd, 2008, 5:24 pm #8

I've been using a variety of colors of the low odor expo markers and haven't had a problem with any of them... plus it makes the art much more colorful... especially my talking Christmas tree.

July 17th, 2008, 12:16 pm #9

Right Tony. Rubbing alcohol will remove Expo Low Odor / Expo 2 stains only. If you use plain Expo which is keytone based, or accidentally use permanent markers you need new plastic. You can order it on the illusions page http://www.axtell.com/illusions.html

Ax
Hi Steve
Just a simple recommendation for your boards doesn't matter the size of the board place a very thin piece of plastic over the board except the mouth area, when the Vent is finished using the board the thin plastic is a throw away...so it helps in having to worry about cleaning and stains on the board.
N Jay

July 17th, 2008, 12:19 pm #10

Ax
Hi Steve
Just a simple recommendation for your boards doesn't matter the size of the board place a very thin piece of plastic over the board except the mouth area, when the Vent is finished using the board the thin plastic is a throw away...so it helps in having to worry about cleaning and stains on the board. do you remember Winky Dink And You when your drew on the tv screen same type of idea
N Jay