Effective advertising

Effective advertising

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

June 19th, 2012, 12:25 am #1

I wish I knew how to do this as a poll. I would like to hear the effectiveness of different types of advertising. We all know that word of mouth is the best. But what comes in second? Please consider the following and let me know your opinions (or vote on your top two). I have listed different methods as they came to mind and in no particular order.

Google Adwords
Yahoo Adwords
Yelp
Facebook
Yellow Pages online
Yellow Pages book
Direct Mail (letter)
Direct Mail (postcard)
Telephone
Email
Fax
Booth at Convention
Volunteer Performances
Parent Magazine Ad
Ad in Organizational magazine
Membership in a local business club
Agent
Contact past clients
Other (please describe)

Suzie
Suzie

June 19th, 2012, 12:40 am #2

First I volunteered myself out so people could see what I do.
Word of mouth got me some programs from my volunteer shows.
Giving my You tubes to friends that shot them out to their friends got me noticed as well.
Word of mouth would be the number one for me I think.
People have got to have a way of getting a hold of you.
That would me computer, phone, or flyers.
I do not do this for my bread and butter so I am getting plenty gigs to keep me happy at the moment.
If I were doing it for bread and butter. I would push my name out there all over the place any way I could get my name known and out there.
When my husband and I used to do Photography. Word of mouth carried us. We were booked solid. But we also got a lot of attention from the yellow pages as well. Our photography business was in the day of land lines not cell phones. {:->

crazy chris
crazy chris

June 19th, 2012, 12:43 am #3

I wish I knew how to do this as a poll. I would like to hear the effectiveness of different types of advertising. We all know that word of mouth is the best. But what comes in second? Please consider the following and let me know your opinions (or vote on your top two). I have listed different methods as they came to mind and in no particular order.

Google Adwords
Yahoo Adwords
Yelp
Facebook
Yellow Pages online
Yellow Pages book
Direct Mail (letter)
Direct Mail (postcard)
Telephone
Email
Fax
Booth at Convention
Volunteer Performances
Parent Magazine Ad
Agent
Contact past clients
Other (please describe)
We built our business off of social media outlets like facebook... when we decided to open we reached out to our core group of high school and college peers and it was as if they were in business with us... they spread the word so fast it was amazing... our first day open we had 3 sold out shows... and it spread from there!

Sadly Facebook has modified the way small business pages work and in an attempt to cash in they have made it to where basically only 6 or 7% of your fanbase can see your posts...and in order to touch base with your entire fanbase (people who have purposefully clicked like on your page) you have to pay facebook ... it goes against everything FB was built on...and bites the hand that feeds them ...

We also took out an ad in the phonebook and i dont think anyone ever saw it... such an archaic form of advertising in this day and age...

cc

June 19th, 2012, 3:21 am #4

Google Adwords
Yahoo Adwords
Yelp
Facebook
Yellow Pages online
Yellow Pages book
Direct Mail (letter)
Direct Mail (postcard)
Telephone
Email
Fax
Booth at Convention
Volunteer Performances
Parent Magazine Ad
Agent
Contact past clients
Other (please describe)
I guess you could say my main advertising comes from being listed in the AT&T yellow pages and also online. I do try to make myself as visible as possible on all the search sites, google, yahoo, bing, yelp.

I have been doing magic and ventriloquism for almost 5 years. I'm getting more repeat shows each year, but I'm still not satisfied with the amount of shows I get booked for.

I do not know if I could/should spend more money on advertising, or is it just the economy here in southern Louisiana.

I find this business to be weird in the sense that most Birthday shows are on the weekend, and one is limited to how many shows one can do in a day. So if I spent more on advertising, I just might be wasting my money, because I'd be turning down shows.

Sure I have been doing quite a few Summer Camp Shows but Summertime Birthday shows always seem to be slow.

I can say, I love magic, ventriloquism, and entertaining people, but I'm glad that I have my retirement income to fall back on.

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

June 19th, 2012, 3:25 am #5

Google Adwords
Yahoo Adwords
Yelp
Facebook
Yellow Pages online
Yellow Pages book
Direct Mail (letter)
Direct Mail (postcard)
Telephone
Email
Fax
Booth at Convention
Volunteer Performances
Parent Magazine Ad
Agent
Contact past clients
Other (please describe)
Summers are made for libraries, churches, and parks and recreation programs! For some it is also great for fairs and festivals. Birthdays are slower because they plan a pool party or jump house.

Rick Cina
Rick Cina

June 19th, 2012, 6:49 pm #6

Google Adwords
Yahoo Adwords
Yelp
Facebook
Yellow Pages online
Yellow Pages book
Direct Mail (letter)
Direct Mail (postcard)
Telephone
Email
Fax
Booth at Convention
Volunteer Performances
Parent Magazine Ad
Agent
Contact past clients
Other (please describe)
Other: Send out (by mail) a mass-produced 5 minute "highlight" DVD to libraries, churches, and schools.