Done (Listing things you want to do, and not to do)

Done (Listing things you want to do, and not to do)

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

June 18th, 2012, 2:34 pm #1

As I get older I begin to chalk things off my list of what I am willing to do. I don't do teens or adult shows, unless kids are there. They may even like it, but the response is so underwhelming compared to kids that one feels like the audience is just not enjoying it. I don't do "only magic" birthday parties. I could, but it isn't fun for me. I enjoy the puppets.
And after two days of extreme heat, I think I will add that to my list of don'ts. I will come and do ONE show in the heat, but I don't do an afternoon of short shows. Deep down I know I don't like this, which is probably why I have never pursued California Fairs. Just too hot!
Last edited by axtell on June 27th, 2012, 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neale Bacon
Neale Bacon

June 18th, 2012, 5:04 pm #2

In my contract, I have it spelled out what I need under hot conditions in my rider. Lots of water and lots of breaks. I also required a covered stage.

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

June 18th, 2012, 8:11 pm #3

As I get older I begin to chalk things off my list of what I am willing to do. I don't do teens or adult shows, unless kids are there. They may even like it, but the response is so underwhelming compared to kids that one feels like the audience is just not enjoying it. I don't do "only magic" birthday parties. I could, but it isn't fun for me. I enjoy the puppets.
And after two days of extreme heat, I think I will add that to my list of don'ts. I will come and do ONE show in the heat, but I don't do an afternoon of short shows. Deep down I know I don't like this, which is probably why I have never pursued California Fairs. Just too hot!
I like the idea of a covered stage. The rest is generally provided, as it was this year, but I rarely get a covered stage. Hmmm. That can't be easy.
Thanks for the tip. I know you do a lot of fairs.

June 19th, 2012, 3:04 am #4

Maybe it's because I have only been doing this for almost 5 years, and I only average about 44 shows a year, but I have not yet gotten to the point of turning down shows.

I must say though, that I do not enjoy performing in the heat and humidity of southern Louisiana, even though I'm a hot weather loving guy.

I especially remember last year, when I did a show in the middle of Summer, and even the audience was standing in the bright sun. As a teenaged girl attempted to turn the crank on my gumball machine to retrieve her ring, she could not touch the crank because it was so hot. I swore to myself that if I was called
back this year I would make it a stipulation to only perform my show in the empty cafeteria, that I was close to, which was open for people to use the restroom only.

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

June 19th, 2012, 3:23 am #5

The number one reason for my turning down shows is distance or cost. I often get calls for birthdays that are 2 hours away and I let them know I could come for $___ but I recommend someone in their area. I generally know someone much closer to them that will do a fine job.

The heat has to do with my health. I'm overweight by 40 pounds, with a blood pressure that needs to go down some. (It isn't high, but not low.) I couldn't physically do much. Had great trouble getting through the second 20 minute show!