Bird arm illusion (Quick Change Can idea)

Bird arm illusion (Quick Change Can idea)

Neale Bacon
Neale Bacon

June 27th, 2012, 4:59 pm #1

I saw Steve's video on how to make the quick arm gimmick set up but I don't want to glue my puppet in place as I use it for both Clarice and JayJay (Vern)

Is it still quicker by just having the can attached? Can you slip the puppet over the can without glueing it?
Last edited by axtell on June 27th, 2012, 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 27th, 2012, 7:29 pm #2

Sure if it's a tight fit you can just stretch it over, or use velcro sewn into the bird (soft) and glue hard side on the can.

Suzie
Suzie

June 27th, 2012, 8:11 pm #3

I saw Steve's video on how to make the quick arm gimmick set up but I don't want to glue my puppet in place as I use it for both Clarice and JayJay (Vern)

Is it still quicker by just having the can attached? Can you slip the puppet over the can without glueing it?
Neale
Not sure if you can do this, but it works for me. I put the arm on attach the bird just like it is suppose to fit over the wire and such with my arm still inside the bird. I have put the velcro snug, but not real tight on my arm. With some careful wiggle I can slip my whole arm out of the arm wire and the bird without the bird coming loose. Then I lay it carefully in my travel container for my show. I have it laying in such a manner that I do not distrub it too awful much. Then when I am ready to load the bird. I am careful how I pick it all up together and slip my arm straight into the wire and up the bird. A little tug here and there on the bird for adjustment and we are ready for show time.
Of course I am only 5'4" and have a med body frame. This might not work so well for anyone else, but it works for me.
The thought of hot glue and me and a latex bird is frightening.

June 27th, 2012, 8:17 pm #4

I use a similar tactic to the one listed above, and I use the extra glove to make it slightly more believable. I put on the extra glove (from a distance the audience can't tell its inside out) then go get my DoDo or Crow out depending on the show. It works well for me. I'm experimenting now with my Bird Arm and my Bongo Gorilla. Not much luck yet there.