Big Brown Bear

Big Brown Bear

Suzie
Suzie

July 28th, 2012, 12:01 am #1

Tony
I was thumbing my way through the puppets and I saw your Big Brown Bear You tube.
I remember seeing it a ways back before I started threading with you all.
Now that I have seen it again...and feel like we are old friends it makes it even more special.
It makes me smile. Two thumbs up for the skit. I really do like it.
The bear's personality is fantastic.
I want to thank you for all the help you have given new vents like myself.
Thanks Tony. {:->

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

July 28th, 2012, 5:52 am #2

I have used an Axtell bear now for 20 years! In fact, I just got back from a camp where I did 5 shows, but had to pack my stage, magic tricks, and 4 behind the stage puppets in a suitcase and a duffle bag! Wow! That only left me room for the bear and Verna, but they were enough. The kids loved the bear and Verna reminded them of a Vern they had seen the year before.

Suzie
Suzie

July 28th, 2012, 1:14 pm #3

Tony
I was thumbing my way through the puppets and I saw your Big Brown Bear You tube.
Now that I have seen it again...and feel like we are old friends it makes it even more special.
Tony,
The Big Bear looks pretty big next to you and Ax. I am only 5'4 & 1/4". Haahahaha
I don't know if I could handle the Big Brown Bear.
I think you have the seal? That may be Petra that has the seal? I have the seal,which I call Ayla. She is one of my biggest puppets. At least when I am handling her she feels big. She is just about all I can handle.
Now the Storyteller which is my Aunt Lowe Lee, and Willie the Kid which is my little girl Cricket, are kind of big next to me, but easier to handle.
I just don't know if I could master the Big Brown Bear like I have seen you and Ax do on the promos. You two make it look so easy. {:->
You know how us vents are; we are always dreaming about the next puppet to keep our acts fresh.
Since I do a lot of Children Messages compared to any other shows I do, I have to come up with a new skit every time. It is not easy,but I love doing it.
I just don't want to wear out my welcome so to speak.
I have people coming up to me all the time and telling me I need to do it more at church. But I tell them I do it when I am asked, which is at least once a month. But I also tell them, if you saw me all the time you would get tired of me. They disagree, but I think it would get old to them after awhile.
Right now,I have a skunk which I can use as Rosie or Dutch. That gives me two. I have a Seal. I have the Old Storyteller (Aunt Lowe Lee). Willie the Kid (Cricket little girl). Benny Bird which I call Beck Er Bird. Then of course I have a possum I named Dodger DeCar. So juggling between these and keeping it fresh is or can be a challenge. But so far I am doing okay.
When I changed Rosie's (Skunk)gender to Dutch last weekend that gave me an additional puppet in my little collection of Axtell's.
Dodger DeCar saw what was going on,and he told me,"Don't you even think about it!" Haahahaha
If I need to, Dodger DeCar may have to make a change whither he wants to or not. {:->
Well, I got a little off track here, but what I was trying to share is; I am always dreaming about my next Axtell puppet. And I love looking at you guys' you tubes and promos to give me ideas of what will work for me and what might not.
I think the little brown bear is adorable too.
I am thinking when I purchase my next Axtell Puppet it may have a goofy personality?
Right now I can still go Southern Belle with my possum or my skunk. Rosie is female, but she is just sweet and can be a little stinker. So that would give me three out of one puppet. {:-> My concern is that the kids would grow tired of the same puppet just having a different personality may not cut it for them. I added a hat to Dutch so he looked a little different.
I have a lot of thinking and dreaming to do about all of this.
Tomorrow I have two church services back to back. I am taking Cricket for the first time to introduce her. I hope the kids like her. My youngest grandson loves her, but my brothers' step granddaughter of the same age doesn't. Weird....

July 28th, 2012, 2:53 pm #4

Tony
Suzie-

I'm sure Cricket will do fine in church. She's adorable. I'm about the same height as you.

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

July 28th, 2012, 5:30 pm #5

Tony
The bear is pretty easy to handle for two reasons. 1. He has an inflatable beach ball for the stomach, which makes him much lighter than he looks. For example, he is lighter than the bulldog.
2. The neck has a lot of fabric so the ventriloquist's arm can actually rest (elbow) on the beach ball. How many puppets will give you an arm rest? LOVE the bear!

Suzie
Suzie

July 28th, 2012, 9:20 pm #6

Tony
Tony,
You can really tell that you love the Bear. It showed in your little movie.
Rinji,
I think you are right. I think the kids will love Cricket. She is a cute little troll girl.

I lost the glove I usually wear when working the puppets.
I got Cricket out to practice and I can't find my glove. Oh, Man.
The glove helps my small hands fit better in the puppets head.
I hope I left it at church from last week. If I did. I hope that they did not throw it away.
I found a thin winter glove in my drawer that I think will work if I have to use something tomorrow.
This is just a reminder to all. When you leave a show. Make sure you packed everything before you head out.

suzie
suzie

July 29th, 2012, 5:22 pm #7

Tony
Rinji
Just thought I would up date you on how Cricket did at both Church Services this morning since you as well as I think she is cute. {:->
She was a huge hit!
On the second service two different Mom's had to come and retrieve their little kids back to the pews, cause they were waiting for more. {:->
That was priceless. {:->
Most the time this bunch of kids are off and running after the closing Prayer of a Children's Message.

July 29th, 2012, 5:30 pm #8

Tony
So glad Cricket was a hit! That says something when little kids who usually run
around, are fixated on the puppets.

Suzie
Suzie

July 29th, 2012, 9:37 pm #9

Tony
Yes, This morning Cricket (Wille the kid customized little girl) was a huge hit for two Sunday morning services. The adults were telling me it was great. A couple of the kids had to be retrieved by parents, they wanted more.
Since I am new at venting we tape all my programs if we can. So I can see my mistakes and improve from them.
Oh My Gosh! My lip control was just horrible. The entire skit. Both skits.
Usually I mess up here and there that is expected cause of the memory of the skits are taking over my command center. Having to a perform a different skit so frequently I don't get the chance of what I call brain learn. But my gosh. I played the tapes back and I might as well been talking regular the entire skit both services.
I did not realize it until I saw the video.
My husband said he did not even notice it during the skits, because he was watching Cricket. He said he was watching her and not paying any attention to me.
So, I am thinking, even though my lip control sucked. I did a really good job making Cricket the center of attention so no one paid any attention to my poor lip control.
Cricket also got me out of some fixes too. I got tongue tied when it was my turn to speak. She had to correct my mistakes. All the mistakes I made this morning I rescued off the cuff with Cricket's help. Everyone just laughed.
My husband has told me that when I mess up is when I do my best shows. He likes it when the puppet gives me a rough time and corrects me. Or the puppet blames me cause it made a mistake.
A lot of people think this is part of the act, they don't realize I am just covering up for my boo boos. Some think I spend hours practicing this correction stuff.
Let them think that. It just makes me look that much better. {:->
Do you seasoned Vents have little clues you give yourself when your lip control is slipping so you can get back on track?
Some times I catch myself and rescue myself, but like today. Shoot I did not even notice.
The little kids faces were just glowing and the eyes were watching every move I made. It was wonderful. I think I got caught up in their reactions to what I was doing and forgot that I was performing.
Oh, Drew, one of the little boys is blind. I let him touch Cricket after the church service. He was surprised that she felt small to him. He was expecting her to be much bigger.
I know it isn't a good thing to handle the latex. But if letting a blind child see my puppet is going to ruin the latex, let it be ruined. {:->
His Grandmother and Mom are always so grateful to me for taking the time to let him see what I am doing up there. Most forget he is blind. He never complains. He is really smart little boy. I just love him to death. {:->
Now that I have spilled the beans on myself. I will wait for you seasoned vents to give me a hands up. {:->

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

July 30th, 2012, 12:12 am #10

Tony
I touch the latex faces a lot. Never knew that I shouldn't. Most kids don't want to touch the face. I give high 5's or hugs with a puppet.

You do need to make lip control a priority. Once you nail it that is one less thing to worry about. I still have off days and I hate to see myself on video, but it is so helpful.