Elwyn Elizabeth HOOD, who was she?

Victorian Lookups

Elwyn Elizabeth HOOD, who was she?

May 15th, 2009, 8:48 am #1

Got a really curly one here sorry.

I am looking for the birth of Elwyn Elizabeth HOOD she would have been born 1879/1880 and was born in St. Kilda.

The strange thing is I got a deceased estate pack for Elizabeth Isabella HOOD/Hall/Forster. In it was a letter from this lady signed Mrs Arthur Heazlewood Tasmania. She was asking for a copy of the will.

So out of curiosity I looked her marriage up to see who she was, and found she was a HOOD, I thought there must have been dirty work afoot, so ordered the marriage certificate (1900), to find her father was Percival HOOD her mother Elizabeth (unknown).Her age was 21, born St. Kilda, usual residence Sydney.

Now I do not want to discount her, because perhaps it is something juicy & intriguing, but on the other hand perhaps, she was just someone hoping my Elizabeth was her mother??.

Bottom line is I cannot find a birth for her, nor any records relating to a Percival HOOD, so I am assuming her mother may have been a HOOD, and her father any Percy in a storm

Any thoughts
Sharon

May 15th, 2009, 9:12 am #2

Sharon, I have some thoughts alright but I don't think I can mention them here

All the postings this afternnon have been so confusing & difficult so it must be the dreadful windy weather

I will have a look and see if I can find anything but not very hopeful on my days record so far

Liz

May 15th, 2009, 9:26 am #3

Well I am not having any luck with this one

Are you sure her name was Elwyn as that is a male name?

who did she marry in 1900? - cannot see any Elwyn HOOD marrying in 1900 or am I missing something?

Liz
Last edited by GenieLiz on May 15th, 2009, 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 15th, 2009, 9:32 am #4

Hi Sharon

To add another name in there for you, there are a couple of family trees on ancestory.com, They mention the marriage in Tasmania in 1900 of Herbert Arthur HEAZLEWOOD to Elwyn Elizabeth. However her surname has been listed as both HOOD and HAMILTON.

Given the strange name of Elwyn for a female so it not being common, there is another entry therefore based on the above names that may fall into the equation. Elwyn Elizabeth NAYLOR married a John HAMILTON at place unknown in the late 1800s.

That should fry Liz' brain a bit further.

Pat

May 15th, 2009, 9:34 am #5

This is evidently the marriage reference #37/1900/0269

May 15th, 2009, 9:35 am #6

Pat, Didnt see your posting until after I had posted mine - Yes you are right my brain is fried but this sounds very promising

So it seems this was a marriage in Tasmania not in victoria? I thought this was the thread for Victoria?

Maybe I should get offline before I do something stupid

Liz

May 15th, 2009, 10:01 am #7

Sorry Liz, I did omit to say married in Tas,but if it's any consolation, I was thinking it.

She was born in VIC. I will look at those Ancestry trees, thanks Pat.

She definately was Elwyn, I know strange.I have checked under all types of spelling.

Thanks Sharon

May 15th, 2009, 11:36 am #8

Sharon, Have you had any luck as yet finding her birth?

I have just found what I think was her birth but it was in Tasmania
Have sent it to you directly
She was listed as Elizabeth Hood HAMILTON and born 1879 in tassie
father Percy
See what you think - maybe her birth place on marriage was incorrect

Liz
Last edited by GenieLiz on May 15th, 2009, 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 15th, 2009, 12:11 pm #9

Pat, There is a Elwyn Elizabeth NAYLOR but she was born in Otago New Zealand in 1894
she is listed as dying 30.3.1976 (no place listed)
Not sure if this is the same one you mentioned or someone with the same name

Liz

May 15th, 2009, 12:28 pm #10

Hi Sharon,  

Here is the info that Liz found - I think it has to be the one too 

BIRTH:  
  (Digger - Tasmanian Pioneer Index 1803-1899)

Surname: HAMILTON  
  Given Names: ELIZABETH HOOD  
  Event: Birth  
  Father/Spouse Surname: PERCY RICHARDSO  
  Mother/Spouse Given Names: HOOD ELIZABETH  
  Day: 03  
  Month: 3  
  Year: 1878  
  Sex: F     
  Registration Place: LONGFORD  
  Registration Number: 1035/1878  
  Reference: RGD 33

Looks as though there were lots of transcription errors or misinformation on the certificates! Not the first time it was all messed up.

Regards,
  Jenn

May 15th, 2009, 1:47 pm #11

Thanks Liz, & Jenn.

How bizarre this all is. It doesn't make sense to me at all. I knew something was amiss with it. It must be her birth. It is possible my Elizabeth could have been her mother, but not probable.

Now I am really intrigued, may have to cough up another extortionate fee to the Tas BDM.I just feel she must in some way be related, to be able to trace my Elizabeth through all her name changes in those days, she must have had inside info.This could even possibly explain why my Elizabeth changed her name to Edith when she left Victoria. Hmm the plot thickens.

Thanks for sending it through Liz, Sharon

May 16th, 2009, 6:02 am #12

Sharon, Was the Elizabeth you mentioned the one who had children with Percy R. HAMILTON?

I could not find any marriage in victoria or tassie for them

Wasnt her daughter Elwyn Elizabeth the one who married Heazlewood?
She would be the one listed as Mrs. Arthur Heazlewood & Arthur was his second christian name

Did your Elwyn Elizabeth marry this Heazlewood fellow or am I confused yet again?

Just trying to get it clear in my mind as yesterday it was full of cotton wool

Liz

May 16th, 2009, 8:04 am #13

Sharon, Was your Elizabeth HOOD the one born in Melbourne c.1856 who married William Lewis HALL in 1875?
If so she could not be the same one who had Elizabeth Hood HAMILTON in 1878 as she was also having children in victoria in that year however she is not listed as Elizabeth Isabella HOOD but Elizabeth Jane HOOD on the births so not sure it is the same person
Something not quite right here but I had no idea what it is

When was Elizabeth HOOD/HALL supposed to have married FORSTER?

Liz

May 16th, 2009, 8:18 am #14

Liz,
I had a good look at things last night. You are correct my Elizabeth Jane HOOD (on birth certificate) Elizabeth Isabella Jane at marriage married William Lewis Hall, he then supposedly dies in Vic between 1879 & 1882 ( no certificate to be found), when she remarried Frederick William FORSTER in Sydney as a widow, by this marriage she was calling herself Edith Isabel Hall. Could not be Elwyns mother. So it leaves the question, why was Elwyn after a copy of the will, five years after my Elizabeth died.

The other Elizabeth HOOD, mother of Elwyn HOOD, I am not sure but do think she must fit somewhere, I am going to have to find out who her parents are, and I should have the answer.

Just have to find when she died, easier said than done.

May 16th, 2009, 8:31 am #15

Sharon, Maybe if you can find the marriage to Percival R. HAMILTON wherever and if it occurred

there is only one child born to them in tasmania and no marriage that I can find

good luck as this is getting rather complicated

Liz

May 16th, 2009, 8:45 am #16

Yes Liz,
I don't think they married at all. I will look in NSW for the death or marriage of this Elizabeth Hood, as Elwyns marriage certificate, said usual residence Sydney. They sure did move around. Will let you know how it turns out, Sharon

May 17th, 2009, 6:15 am #17

Sharon, I have found the burial place in Tasmania of Elwyn Elizabeth HEAZLEWOOD and have sent it to you directly
Might help somehow with working out where she connects to your Elizabeth HOOD

Liz

May 17th, 2009, 6:47 am #18

Thanks Liz, received it.

Sharon

May 28th, 2018, 7:26 am #19

Regarding the parents of Elizabeth Hood HAMILTON born 3.3.1878 Longford, Tasmania

father  Percy Richardson/ Richards HAMILTON

mother Elizabeth HOOD

I cannot find anything about their marriage/any other children in any state

any ideas?

Liz