WIP 1/72 Scale Acadamy Hornets...

WIP 1/72 Scale Acadamy Hornets...

Antoney Wilkinson
Antoney Wilkinson

November 7th, 2010, 1:35 pm #1

Wally,

Felt I should use up a little more of my stocks of grey paint so put these together last night.

Both have Wolfpack wings, one will be folded the other just the leading edge droop and flaps extended.

Having just done the Fujimi kits I must say the fit so far is better again. Very nice indeed...

Cheers,

PS If I am boring anyone with Hornet posts do let me know and I'll refrain from putting em up. The reason to post em is like everything else I see underway on this site, regardless of topic, I find inspirational...

Antoney Wilkinson
Antoney Wilkinson

November 7th, 2010, 8:47 pm #2

These go together very well indeed....

Andrew Doppel
Andrew Doppel

November 7th, 2010, 10:35 pm #3

It's always good to see builds in production whatever they are. I thought my Hueys were boring everyone too but from the emails I have received obviously not. I am watching with interest although I don't always get the opportunity to post.

Love the Dak by the way and look forward to seeing it finished.

Regards

Andrew

Antoney Wilkinson
Antoney Wilkinson

November 7th, 2010, 11:01 pm #4

The weather is turning cold here now so there is little one can do outside these days, hence the progress of late.

Dak coming along well and hope to have the dull coat on it later n the week and the black leading edges over the weekend with a bit of luck.

Hornets will continue as time permits and I'll keep chugging away with the Chinook.

Glad someone finds em interesting...

AGW..

November 8th, 2010, 10:23 am #5

Wally,

Felt I should use up a little more of my stocks of grey paint so put these together last night.

Both have Wolfpack wings, one will be folded the other just the leading edge droop and flaps extended.

Having just done the Fujimi kits I must say the fit so far is better again. Very nice indeed...

Cheers,

PS If I am boring anyone with Hornet posts do let me know and I'll refrain from putting em up. The reason to post em is like everything else I see underway on this site, regardless of topic, I find inspirational...

Looking forward to seeing these done too.

Antoney Wilkinson
Antoney Wilkinson

November 15th, 2010, 2:15 am #6

Wally,

Cheers,

On the tidy up home stretch with these two. Gone together very well. The tub doesn't come with tail strengtheners so these had to be added.

Decided to add to both a couple of Mk84s on the outer pylons. Nice pic of a 2OCU Tub and a single in the Hornets Downunder book.

If anyone can advise typical Mk84 colours that would be very helpful.

Cheers,

AGW..

Pappy
Pappy

November 15th, 2010, 7:13 am #7

G'day Antoney,

Colours vary but in general:

Body :

Matt olive drab ranging from mint to heavily faded with oil stains, water streaks etc is typical with a 4" yellow band around the nose for live rounds and a 4" blue band for HES (High Explosive Simulated)rounds. The HES rounds can also be painted entirely in light blue, and once again the paint can vary from pristine to quite faded and streaked.

Nose Cone:

Matt olive drab for electrically fused bombs and a metallic silver/gold to represent the cadmium plated parts on a mechanically fused bomb (the ones with a propeller on the nose)

Airfoil Assembly:

Semi-gloss dark green, bronze green being a good match. The tail units are usually in good nick as well as these are usually kept boxed up until needed.

Bomb Lugs:

Cadmium plated, these have a gold appearance, although these will not typically be visible once the bomb is loaded.

cheers,

Pappy

Antoney Wilkinson
Antoney Wilkinson

November 15th, 2010, 4:02 pm #8

Think I'll mix em up a little for these two...

Really appreciate the help.

Cheers,

Pappy
Pappy

November 15th, 2010, 6:50 pm #9

You're welcome,

Note that the same information applies to Mk.82 (500lb) bombs. The High drag snakeye tails are matt olive green (not olive drab) as are the Mk.82 Ballute (air inflatabe high drag) tails,

cheers,

Pappy

Antoney Wilkinson
Antoney Wilkinson

November 15th, 2010, 11:50 pm #10

G'day Antoney,

Colours vary but in general:

Body :

Matt olive drab ranging from mint to heavily faded with oil stains, water streaks etc is typical with a 4" yellow band around the nose for live rounds and a 4" blue band for HES (High Explosive Simulated)rounds. The HES rounds can also be painted entirely in light blue, and once again the paint can vary from pristine to quite faded and streaked.

Nose Cone:

Matt olive drab for electrically fused bombs and a metallic silver/gold to represent the cadmium plated parts on a mechanically fused bomb (the ones with a propeller on the nose)

Airfoil Assembly:

Semi-gloss dark green, bronze green being a good match. The tail units are usually in good nick as well as these are usually kept boxed up until needed.

Bomb Lugs:

Cadmium plated, these have a gold appearance, although these will not typically be visible once the bomb is loaded.

cheers,

Pappy
Pappy is that in from the nose of the round? i.e. green then yellow band then green or yellow band then green?