Tamiya Extra Thin Cement - How to use?

Tamiya Extra Thin Cement - How to use?

April 2nd, 2010, 3:07 am #1

Hi All,

I've tried to find some instructions on how to use this stuff. I have read that you put the two pieces that you want to glue together and just brush this stuff on the join?

any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tony

April 2nd, 2010, 3:35 am #2

Use as little as possible as too much will melt more plastic than just the seam you're trying to stick together. Wipe the little brush on the side of the bottle before touching the plastic. Also don't try to wipe it off if you use a bit to much as it can make a mess if you do. It dries very quickly. I use it for most things and I highly recommend it. Hope that helps

April 2nd, 2010, 4:31 am #3

on each part before putting together? Just need to know fisrt before I stuff something up. How would you do wings with this stuff?

THanks

April 2nd, 2010, 4:39 am #4

on youtube.
Clear as mud now. Although still concerned about thin trailing edges on wings.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXTK9KdRQN4

April 2nd, 2010, 5:09 am #5

Hi TJP,

Extra Thin was designed to be, well extra thin, to glue seam/butt joins, such as fuse halves, tank halves, smaller peices etc and to work via capillary action.

I dont use it for this, as i dont beleive it is good enough. I do use it for glueing smaller parts, such as aerials, control coloumns etc, and just dab a little into the locating hole first.

It was also designed for smaller difficult parts, where you realy need to locate the part first and then add the glue.

For fuse halfs etc, i use normal tamiya glue (white cap, not yellow) on both sides of the part, place the parts together, and then add a few drops down the seam.

Glen

Glen Burns

Creative Models Australia
glen@creativemodels.com.au
www.creativemodels.com.au

April 2nd, 2010, 5:41 am #6

Hi All,

I've tried to find some instructions on how to use this stuff. I have read that you put the two pieces that you want to glue together and just brush this stuff on the join?

Thanks

Tony
I have used Tamiya extra thin almost exclusively since Tenax 7R became unobtainable around here and I have no problems with it at all.
Basically as Glenn said it relies on capillary action to wick along the seams but I also help it along by prepping the mating surfaces with a coat on each face before putting them together then running the brush along the joint afterwards.

You don't get as much of a "squeeze" of melted plastic as you did with tube glues or Revell Contacta but there is enough to 99 times out of a 100 be able to scrape and sand down the joint and leave a no-fill joint.

It is best to glue bare plastic to bare plastic so assembling as much as possible before painting or scraping off paint from joints still applies and it really does not want to touch cured and dry paint. This is a positive when doing some of the prepainted models as even if the glue escapes the joint it runs over the paint rather than destroying it.

I fully assembled a Polar Lights 1/350 Enterprise-A with Tamiya Extra Thin and it was so strong you could pick it up from any point without internal support without anything creaking or breaking.

Above all as long as your joint is prepped as well as possible it is a great glue and it flashes off before it does any real surface damage to plastic if spilled.

Cheers

Tony

April 2nd, 2010, 7:02 am #7

Hi TJP,

Extra Thin was designed to be, well extra thin, to glue seam/butt joins, such as fuse halves, tank halves, smaller peices etc and to work via capillary action.

I dont use it for this, as i dont beleive it is good enough. I do use it for glueing smaller parts, such as aerials, control coloumns etc, and just dab a little into the locating hole first.

It was also designed for smaller difficult parts, where you realy need to locate the part first and then add the glue.

For fuse halfs etc, i use normal tamiya glue (white cap, not yellow) on both sides of the part, place the parts together, and then add a few drops down the seam.

Glen

Glen Burns

Glen. I've had no worries at all on fuselages, wings etc. I think TJP means the one with the green lid (which is the one I'm on about).

TJP. Just press the 2 pieces together and touch the brush where you want the glue. Once again, don't use too much on the brush. You don't get much time to line stuff up, so try to get it all lined up before ya glue it. Hold them together for a few seconds and viola. If I can do it, you won't have any trouble. Cheers Paul

April 2nd, 2010, 8:14 am #8

Hi All,

Thanks

Tony
Yes Paul, the Green lid extra thin stuff.

Again thanks all for your comments and help on this one.

Thanks

Tony

April 2nd, 2010, 9:40 am #9

Glen. I've had no worries at all on fuselages, wings etc. I think TJP means the one with the green lid (which is the one I'm on about).

TJP. Just press the 2 pieces together and touch the brush where you want the glue. Once again, don't use too much on the brush. You don't get much time to line stuff up, so try to get it all lined up before ya glue it. Hold them together for a few seconds and viola. If I can do it, you won't have any trouble. Cheers Paul
Yeah i know, ti was stateing how i use it. And i dont use it for major seam joins like fuses, until after i have done both sides with normal tamiya first, push together, then add a few drops of green.

Glen

Glen Burns