Talking about Apocalypse Now here's two more Hueys!

Talking about Apocalypse Now here's two more Hueys!

Andrew Doppel
Andrew Doppel

August 4th, 2010, 4:52 pm #1

Thanks to the kindness of Rotorwash (Ray on ARC) I am going to build a new (old) 1/48 AMT UH-1D into a RAAF SVN Bushranger with the addition of Fireball Models corrected doors and other P/E, Eduard P/E left overs from my RAAF Barracuda Huey and a Hamilton Hobbies Aussie Bushranger conversion set that includes rocket pods, resin M60s and other bit and pieces.

I also intend to rebuild an old 1/48 AMT UH-1D and copy bits and pieces of the Bushy P/E with plastic card to rebuild it as a later Green/Tan AAAVn Huey prior to their retirement. This one I may even do in a diorama pose.

So far I have scratch built a new instrument panel cluster and anti-slip panel for the main cabin area in the rebuild Huey and made a new back panel for the Eduard instrument panel to be attached to on the 'Bushy' as the original panel sizes are too small.

Well here are the pics of my work so far.

[/img]
The new old AMT kit courtesy of Ray (Rotorwash)

[/img]
One of the decal sets to be used for the gunship 'Bushranger'

[/img]
Hamilton Hobbies SVN resin conversion set

[/img]
Fireball Models conversion set

[/img]
The two kits-rebuild and new build

[/img]
New front instrument panels being made

[/img]
Work on the rebuilt cabin which will be a green/tan bird again as per the two fuselage halves visible

Regards

Andrew

BruceA
BruceA

August 5th, 2010, 2:38 am #2

Bruce

Andrew Doppel (A2)
Andrew Doppel (A2)

August 5th, 2010, 6:23 am #3

Regards

Andrew

Andrew Doppel (A2)
Andrew Doppel (A2)

August 11th, 2010, 10:25 am #4

Thanks to the kindness of Rotorwash (Ray on ARC) I am going to build a new (old) 1/48 AMT UH-1D into a RAAF SVN Bushranger with the addition of Fireball Models corrected doors and other P/E, Eduard P/E left overs from my RAAF Barracuda Huey and a Hamilton Hobbies Aussie Bushranger conversion set that includes rocket pods, resin M60s and other bit and pieces.

I also intend to rebuild an old 1/48 AMT UH-1D and copy bits and pieces of the Bushy P/E with plastic card to rebuild it as a later Green/Tan AAAVn Huey prior to their retirement. This one I may even do in a diorama pose.

So far I have scratch built a new instrument panel cluster and anti-slip panel for the main cabin area in the rebuild Huey and made a new back panel for the Eduard instrument panel to be attached to on the 'Bushy' as the original panel sizes are too small.

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]
Work on the rebuilt cabin which will be a green/tan bird again as per the two fuselage halves visible

Regards

Andrew
Here's how the instrument panels are coming along. The replacement ones are obviously on the left. The ones on the right are from the Monogram Huey Hog and Italeri kits.

[/img]

I have also added the access panel and hook up point surrounds with thin strips of plastic card where they should go to give the internal wall some extra detail. I'm going to sand it down as it stands up/out too much. I have also made the tie rings but wont add them until the interior is painted.

[/img]

Regards

Andrew

August 12th, 2010, 6:35 am #5

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

Regards

Andrew
Allways good to we a bushranger AD, and I know you will do it justice.

IN PROGRESS:-

Lincoln Decal Poll
http://www.misterpoll.com/polls/446490

August 12th, 2010, 7:49 am #6

Regards

Andrew Doppel
Assistant Moderator AMI

Andrew Doppel (A2)
Andrew Doppel (A2)

August 16th, 2010, 6:31 am #7

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

Regards

Andrew
Hi again guys,

I have been slowly working on the cabin areas of both huey builds. As you will see in the following pics I have added the access panels to the walls on both sides and sanded them down to blend into the padded walling. I have also added the flare holders on the rear walls of the Bushranger as well as what appears to be either an ammo pouch or tool kit.

The two instrument panels have had the there shrouds painted and in the case of the Bushranger, the instrument panel face is added with the film instruments behind. I dry fitted the cabin of the camo Huey to the fuselage and noticed that the instrument panels get pushed forward when the windscreen is fitted instead of sitting on the angle as it should, so I will sand the back edges to get a concurve shape that will allow it to sit correctly and then touch up. Obviously the Italeri and AMT kits (although fairly similar in their instructions) are slightly different in shape around the cockpit. I have also painted the front area of the camo Huey black as was done sometime after the Vietnam War. The SVN Bushranger will be all grey interior. The only issue I have is I have no seats to fit to either of these Hueys.

Now, here's the pics

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

Regards

Andrew

Andrew Doppel (A2)
Andrew Doppel (A2)

August 18th, 2010, 11:57 am #8

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

Regards

Andrew
Tonight I spent a little time working on some of the weapons for the Bushranger. I wasn't happy with the kit or resin ammo bins that run across the floor of the cabin so I modified the resin one to better respresent the actual thing using some plastic card. Once painted I will add some straps to make it look secured in the cabin but I can't do this until I find some seats.

[/IMG]
Detailing the ammo bins. Apologies for the blurry pic but you should get the idea

[/IMG]
Dry fitted in position

I also started the rocket launchers. You will notice in the pic the resin rockets (white). I'm not overly happy with them so I decided to give the rocket launchers a bit of realism so used some copper tubing ala Oliver (ARC) to enhance the look. I still need to file them even at the ends and run a micro file through the ends to clean them up.

[/IMG]

Until next time. Thanks for looking and I welcome any comments.

Regards

Andrew

Andrew Doppel (A2)
Andrew Doppel (A2)

August 22nd, 2010, 10:52 am #9

Well this afternoon guys, after having the Perren family over for lunch, I got to do a little painting with some fine Melbourne weather for a change instead of winter rain. I scribed some detail into the ceiling and deepened the roof cavities and added the lights. I'm going to add some wiring here as well. I also did a little work the other night painting the ammo bins and making up straps etc as well as working on the rocket launchers which you may just be able to make out. Please give me feedback if you think the ammo bins are too dark or over weathered or anything. Here's the pics.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Ray, do you have a pic (stupid question) of just the centre console, joysticks and collectives from the 60s and 80s that you could post for me please. I haven't got P/E for the console so I'm going to use the kit decals and paint to highlight this area.

Regards

Andrew

August 22nd, 2010, 11:39 am #10

G'day Andrew,

They're coming along nicely! The only H Model stuff I've got, I've already posted on AMI. Do a search of Reader's Photos for A2-377.

As far as cyclics and collectives go, the only main difference was the colour of the canvas boots at the bottom which were either grey or black for the black cockpit. The switches on the pilot's collective head changed slightly with the upgrade but it would be impossible to pick in 1:48.

As far as the centre console layout goes, there were fewer boxes and more blank spaces in the SVN days.

Finally, the minigun ammo chutes go through these quarter doors. The initial configuration had them going around the doors. It will pay you to check but I think around will go best with your long ammo boxes.

Cheers,

Rod