Special Hobby 1/72 Wirraway available

Special Hobby 1/72 Wirraway available

February 13th, 2010, 12:17 am #1

I was surprised to see this in the Aviation Megastore newsletter. Special Hobby have had it listed as a "future release" for several years now but I didn't know that it was imminent...

http://www.aviationmegastore.com/?shopi ... &art=90724

February 13th, 2010, 1:41 am #2

Dick Hourigan and I have examined this kit and it is very good. They have corrected most of the small deficiencies of the 1/48 kit (all of which are fixable by the new Red Roo 1/48 update set) but have still left a few things for the modeller to improve (:>). There should be a review in the next Model Art.

February 13th, 2010, 5:48 am #3

and also the whirlwinds that they are listing?

February 13th, 2010, 6:08 am #4

1/48 Wirraway update set - In progress at Red Roo - available soon

1/72 Wirraway kit - Available soon I suppose. Agents for MPM are Frontline
1/72 Whirlwind - No idea. Here's a development picture from Nurnberg Toy Fair.

I haven't heard much whingeing about MPM/SH/Planet etc availability so I presume Frontline are doing a great job as distributors?

[/IMG]
Last edited by erussell on February 13th, 2010, 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 13th, 2010, 8:30 am #5

Ed,
the kit's canopy is a little mishapen-namely the front section/windscreen-and in one piece.
I've not seen vacform from Red Roo-is this in the realms of what you may be able to do some time?
regards,
Robert

February 13th, 2010, 10:56 pm #6

The detail set should be available in about 3 weeks as the instruction sheet is currently under design. The set features extensive resin, wire, some PE brass and plastic strip components. Although we have previously produced a vacform canopy with our Buffalo detail set we have not chosen to do so on this occasion because of the time factor involved in obtaining supplies of this item.

Cheers,

Gary

February 14th, 2010, 5:09 am #7

I haven't heard much whingeing about MPM/SH/Planet etc availability so I presume Frontline are doing a great job as distributors?

[/IMG]
ed the whirlwind looks like a big improvement over the airfix one nt

February 14th, 2010, 5:54 am #8

[/IMG]
>I haven't heard much whingeing about
>MPM/SH/Planet etc availability so I
>presume Frontline are doing a great
>job as distributors?

Considering that MPM told me by email at the time that the change was to ensure better distribution of their kits in Australia, I think they've failed miserably.

I have never seen one of their kits in a shop in Australia. Not that I had beforehand, but it seems to me that the "better distribution" reason has provan to be wrong.

And I can't get them quick and cheapish from NKR any more.

Result - haven't bought one of their kits in a couple of years, versus about 10-15 per year before.

Shane

February 14th, 2010, 9:42 am #9

Complete Hobbies on Main North Road in Brahma Lodge S.A. have quite a few Special Hobby kit but I don't know if that is an ongoing thing.

Cheers

Tony

February 14th, 2010, 11:01 am #10

>I haven't heard much whingeing about
>MPM/SH/Planet etc availability so I
>presume Frontline are doing a great
>job as distributors?

Considering that MPM told me by email at the time that the change was to ensure better distribution of their kits in Australia, I think they've failed miserably.

I have never seen one of their kits in a shop in Australia. Not that I had beforehand, but it seems to me that the "better distribution" reason has provan to be wrong.

And I can't get them quick and cheapish from NKR any more.

Result - haven't bought one of their kits in a couple of years, versus about 10-15 per year before.

Shane
Hobbyco in Sydney and Model Sports at Fairy Meadow stock them and of course Fontline.The Victorian Hobby Centre also stocks them.Yes it is a pity NKR no longer carries them.Service was prompt and the prices much more reasonable meaning I bought more of them.