Photos of Archer's Wirraway, Canberra

Photos of Archer's Wirraway, Canberra

August 16th, 2010, 4:42 pm #1

G'day all. This is my first posting on your very educational website. I say educational because for more than 4 decades, I have been studying the North American Aviation family of training and general purpose aircraft that began with the NA-16. I am currently head down in a study of the CAC members of the family, namely the Wirraway, Boomerang and Ceres, and I have learned a lot in the past couple of days.

I am Canadian, but was able to spend the month of June, 2009, travelling from one Australian museum to another and one of my stops was the AWM at Canberra, where, thanks to a fellow historian, I was able to spend a quick 20 minutes 'over the wall', photographing Archer's machine (90 shots in total).

With a little luck (every forum has a different system!), I will post a couple of those photographs here and if anyone would like to see more, I would be happy to post more. Keep in mind that these will not be 'pretty' pictures, since the area around the aircraft is quite confining.

cheers
Doug

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Last edited by macharvard on August 16th, 2010, 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 16th, 2010, 8:37 pm #2

Welcome to our world and thanks for the pics.

Feel free to send all of your Wirraway pics to David Harvey for uploading as a "walkaround" reference!!!

August 16th, 2010, 9:13 pm #3

Hi James. Thanks for the welcome and the suggestion. However, each of the 90 photos is 3x the size of the ones I posted. David, perhaps you can give some guidance on how to make the transfer?

August 19th, 2010, 7:24 pm #4

http://s445.photobucket.com/albums/qq17 ... rd/machoz/

Hi all. There are currently about 90 detail shots of Archer's Wirraway at the AWM at this link. I would have posted them through Readers' Photos but I need to have them accessible for other users as well.

As I mentioned earlier these are not 'pretty' photos. The aircraft is very strangely displayed, resting on its centre section between two walls, in a dimly lit area. Thankfully I got permission to climb the wall - under surveillance, of course - so I was able to shoot inside at the various equipment and instruments.

It would be wise to have a 'whole airplane' walkaround to hand while using these photos, in order to understand exactly where everything is, but you will have much more detail available with the AWM shots as well..

I hope they're of some use to anyone building a large scale Wirra.

cheers
Doug

August 19th, 2010, 8:12 pm #5

Regards

Peter Johnstone

August 19th, 2010, 8:27 pm #6

http://s445.photobucket.com/albums/qq17 ... rd/machoz/

Hi all. There are currently about 90 detail shots of Archer's Wirraway at the AWM at this link. I would have posted them through Readers' Photos but I need to have them accessible for other users as well.

As I mentioned earlier these are not 'pretty' photos. The aircraft is very strangely displayed, resting on its centre section between two walls, in a dimly lit area. Thankfully I got permission to climb the wall - under surveillance, of course - so I was able to shoot inside at the various equipment and instruments.

It would be wise to have a 'whole airplane' walkaround to hand while using these photos, in order to understand exactly where everything is, but you will have much more detail available with the AWM shots as well..

I hope they're of some use to anyone building a large scale Wirra.

cheers
Doug
nt

August 19th, 2010, 11:22 pm #7

G'day all. This is my first posting on your very educational website. I say educational because for more than 4 decades, I have been studying the North American Aviation family of training and general purpose aircraft that began with the NA-16. I am currently head down in a study of the CAC members of the family, namely the Wirraway, Boomerang and Ceres, and I have learned a lot in the past couple of days.

I am Canadian, but was able to spend the month of June, 2009, travelling from one Australian museum to another and one of my stops was the AWM at Canberra, where, thanks to a fellow historian, I was able to spend a quick 20 minutes 'over the wall', photographing Archer's machine (90 shots in total).

With a little luck (every forum has a different system!), I will post a couple of those photographs here and if anyone would like to see more, I would be happy to post more. Keep in mind that these will not be 'pretty' pictures, since the area around the aircraft is quite confining.

cheers
Doug

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
for sharing same.

Cheers

Roger

August 19th, 2010, 11:42 pm #8

My pleasure, fellas. I'm off to see the grandkids for a few days, but when I get back I'll do the same with the photos I took of the Wirra at Nowra - which was more accessible and better lit - but all the skin is on!

cheers
Doug

August 20th, 2010, 1:41 am #9

cheers
Doug

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
and the less said about their 'aircraft hall' the better. They really need to turn on the bloody lights. Nice pix though.
Last edited by _Exocet_ on August 20th, 2010, 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 20th, 2010, 2:42 am #10

Unfortunately the lighting situation is going like that in a lot of places. They say the dimmed lights keeps extra years on items & cuts down on maintenance costs.

I was in Holland & Belgium a few years ago & one of the Dutch air museums was so dark that of all the photos i took very few actually came out..even if i photographed items up close (a snow plough or de icing tractor i think) no good & unless the plane was silver forget it..think this museum had a flying boat..i think it was a Dornier.. nothing came out & i thought i had a pretty powerful flash on my snap n shot camera. I read somewhere that museums are using the darkend rooms as a means to control people taking photographs & using the photos in say Osprey books or Squadron walk around series books or DVD's etc without the museums approval, even though the photo was taken by a private individual something about the item photographed was claimed as private property. I recall a rumour that a club in some overseas country was asked to remove a series of photos taken by a private individual of museum exhibits & some were loaded up on the clubs site. Think the story was, that the photos were of museum items & needed permission & think they also claimed that the photos were likely to lessen people to attend the museum if they can get the photos online. Think the club was going to challenge it & never heard anything since.

In the Sydney Museum all cameras/ cam corders & camera phones are banned as i was told that the items are not the property of the museum but of private collectors or something along those lines & they didnt want their items photographed. hence why they have a security guard on every corner, well they did the only time i was there..so disappointed will probably never go back again.