New forum policy on O/T posts

New forum policy on O/T posts

October 26th, 2010, 7:11 pm #1

As noted on the What's New page:

I have been reviewing the usage of the modelling forum and in discussions with the Moderators a new rule is to be enforced. If a post is made in the modelling Forum that is not modelling related in the eyes of the Moderator it will be locked and a message will be added asking for it to be moved to the 'Back Bar'. It will only be locked instead of deleted to enable the originator to copy and paste the Post into the correct Forum rather than having to type it all out again.

If you beleive that it has been incorrectly locked, email the moderator in question and if you are still unhappy then contact me.

David Harvey
Editor
Aussie Modeller International

www.aussiemodeller.com

October 26th, 2010, 9:46 pm #2

Hey Dave,

Instead of locking it, can it not be moved there by the moderators? Becuase there does seem to be heaps of what I would call OT threads on the modeling forum, and just locking them would still have that forum cluttered.

Glen

Glen Burns

Creative Models Australia
glen@creativemodels.com.au
www.creativemodels.com.au

October 26th, 2010, 10:13 pm #3

I have been reviewing the usage of the modelling forum and in discussions with the Moderators a new rule is to be enforced. If a post is made in the modelling Forum that is not modelling related in the eyes of the Moderator it will be locked and a message will be added asking for it to be moved to the 'Back Bar'. It will only be locked instead of deleted to enable the originator to copy and paste the Post into the correct Forum rather than having to type it all out again.

If you beleive that it has been incorrectly locked, email the moderator in question and if you are still unhappy then contact me.

David Harvey
Editor

www.aussiemodeller.com
How about we don't get to heavy-handed though hey... or otherwise you run the risk of discouraging forum use period!!!. If you have been reviewing the same threads I have, you will see that there actuallly IS modelling content, to a greater or lesser degree, embedded within most. Some of the richest and most memorable threads on AMI have not always exclusively revolved around modelling topics, and that's worth keeping in mind before there are any "knee-jerk" reactions. Let's not loose a good thing here.
TOR
PS: IMHO the "back bar" concept has, quiet frankly, been of limited effectiveness and success to date.
Last edited by rayqf on October 26th, 2010, 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 26th, 2010, 11:23 pm #4

David Harvey
Editor

www.aussiemodeller.com
whereby a couple of our members decided to start getting personal with their thoughts of others. The 'Back Bar' was implemented at the request of members for the off topic issues so that is where we as moderators have decided to promote that usage. It's just a matter of getting use to using it.

I know that what was raised was originally a subject that was model related but obviously it was decided that that the non-modelling aspect of it should've gone to the 'Back Bar' or off the site all together.

We are trying hard to expand the site and this 'Back Bar' concept was introduced as part of that. Just like the requests made to have more than the usual submitters add to the model galleries.

Regards

Andrew Doppel
Assistant Moderator AMI

October 26th, 2010, 11:50 pm #5

G'day Andrew,
Fair enough, but let's not sacrafice or impede the good of the many because of the silly actions of a few. BTW and for the record, I was NOT one of the members that ever requested or advocated a "back bar" concept because, in my experience, they are of limited value to forums such as this and the AMI vesrion, with respect, has proved to be no different to date. As mentioned, some of the best, most interesting, and well-patronised threads in modern AMI times have not necessarily revolved directly around modelling subject matter, but have none-the-less contributed to the validity, reputation, and consequent over-all credibility of this site, (and we didn't need a "back bar" to do it!!). Let's not "throw the baby out with the bath water" is all I am saying here.
TOR
Last edited by rayqf on October 26th, 2010, 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 27th, 2010, 12:51 am #6

It is not being used. It comes down to the users to post in the appropriate forum.

Have a look at sites such as MilMod, and Model Armour. They are two ofd the best set up sites I have seen and used.

There are threads for kits, dioramas, ships, armour, hints and tips, painting, weathering, new releases etc etc etc

You wont click on an armour forum and see a ship.

For me as a modeller, I wont spend time trying to sift through a website or forum trying to find something I am interested in.

On the main forum here, look at threads such as wallys caption time, people asking for reference photos, and that type of thing, and not picking on anyone here at all, but in my eyes these are the things that need to go into their own forums, and allthough slightly reltated to modelling, shouldnt be ina modelling forum, but in the back bar or OT forum, or the refernece needed forum, or the joke of the day forum etc.

All of the threads on here are valid, no doubt about that, even the name calling! LOL

I think this site really has the potential to really grow, and be a standout forum. I know this all takes time and money, yeah I'm getting there Dave, but Im sure it will happen.

Thats my thoughts.

Glen Burns

October 27th, 2010, 1:19 am #7

Hey Dave,

Instead of locking it, can it not be moved there by the moderators? Becuase there does seem to be heaps of what I would call OT threads on the modeling forum, and just locking them would still have that forum cluttered.

Glen

Glen Burns

I will be moving to new Forum software that will allow this but your can't do it with N54.

David Harvey
Editor

www.aussiemodeller.com

October 27th, 2010, 1:23 am #8

How about we don't get to heavy-handed though hey... or otherwise you run the risk of discouraging forum use period!!!. If you have been reviewing the same threads I have, you will see that there actuallly IS modelling content, to a greater or lesser degree, embedded within most. Some of the richest and most memorable threads on AMI have not always exclusively revolved around modelling topics, and that's worth keeping in mind before there are any "knee-jerk" reactions. Let's not loose a good thing here.
TOR
PS: IMHO the "back bar" concept has, quiet frankly, been of limited effectiveness and success to date.
It is quite simple, use the correct forum for the post in the first place. The Back Bar is not being used as people are continuing to post here due to we moderators being 'nice'.

Other Forums don't even give you the courtesy of being only locked, the post would be deleted and no notification would be given. This move only starts to bring us in line with all the other Forums out there and is nothing new. Ray, you managed to play by Calums' rules on ANZAC Modeller earlier this year so I am sure you can adapt to the 'new' rules here.

I am not going to pander to one or two people at the detriment of the majority.

David Harvey
Editor

www.aussiemodeller.com
Last edited by DJHarvey on October 27th, 2010, 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

October 27th, 2010, 1:57 am #9

David,
As site owner, your wishes are duly noted and respected, however you yourself recently ACTIVELY particiapted in one of these so-called O/T threads. What message than do you think that infers to the passive reader and site user?????. I would respectfuly suggest that if you are going to "talk the talk" than perhaps you need to "walk the walk" also.
TOR

October 27th, 2010, 2:07 am #10

That we are all to blame with that TOR. We all do it, and have done it, and it time we all changed.

Glen

Glen Burns