Needle in a haystack?

Needle in a haystack?

October 30th, 2010, 4:03 am #1

G'day all, my first ever flight in an aircraft was an Ansett Airlines Boeing 727, Y Class Flight 036 departing Tullamarine at 7pm on Friday 4th May 1990 bound for Kingsford Smith.

Is there any way to find out this aircraft's rego, and would it have been in the scheme below back then?

Since then I've been up in a Seaking, couple of Hercs, Seaknight, Squirrel and Navy Hs748, as well as countless other airliners, but that big white flying bus is still pretty special being my first so I'd love to do a Hasegawa 1/200 kit in her markings!

Thanks, Jamie

Last edited by DDGboy on October 30th, 2010, 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

October 30th, 2010, 4:56 am #2

...1978, VH-TJM, Melbourne to Canberra. Think it was an Ansett 727 as well.
Edit: Google proved me wrong - it was a TAA DC-9-31.
Last edited by DamofromPerth on October 30th, 2010, 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

October 30th, 2010, 5:09 am #3

G'day all, my first ever flight in an aircraft was an Ansett Airlines Boeing 727, Y Class Flight 036 departing Tullamarine at 7pm on Friday 4th May 1990 bound for Kingsford Smith.

Is there any way to find out this aircraft's rego, and would it have been in the scheme below back then?

Since then I've been up in a Seaking, couple of Hercs, Seaknight, Squirrel and Navy Hs748, as well as countless other airliners, but that big white flying bus is still pretty special being my first so I'd love to do a Hasegawa 1/200 kit in her markings!

Thanks, Jamie

VH-RML in that scheme you describe, the APU was u/s on that flight. I cant tell you how I know, you'll just have to trust me

October 30th, 2010, 10:41 am #4

Thanks heaps mate, perfect!

October 30th, 2010, 12:38 pm #5

Thanks, Jamie

cancelled from the Australian register on July 31st 1989, so it could not have been RML.
Last edited by Cornay on October 30th, 2010, 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 30th, 2010, 1:17 pm #6

... just as well I was feeling a bit guilty though the poor man would have been sooooo happy modelling it

Sorry Jamie I was pulling your leg, I kinda assumed that I'd have to be BSing with that detail..

honestly I have no idea how to find that info out, its in a record somewhere but where?

October 31st, 2010, 12:26 am #7

"Straight through the gate between bat & pad, middle stump is now 5 feet back!"

Got me good Wally, I know you're a resident "Go-to Man" on airliner matters, a dark art to me, so I had no reason to doubt you at all. If anything the APU remark added credence to the story, made it sound like you have beers on the weekend with the Flight Engineer from that very flight!

Hell, I was 16.5 and transitioning between RCTRP and SMNRP*, all I recall of that flight is telling my mates our hostie could sit in the bottom of a Redheads matchbox and STILL have room either side to wiggle her butt! ;0

Thanks mate, Jamie, who may just go with the kit's VH-ANA!

October 31st, 2010, 1:20 am #8

I guess I didnt realise that I could be taken seriously .. I mean I know some "stuff" in my own little world of specialty and interests..jeez I am just sounding worse...

once again sorry.. I was just making a joke.. you would have known if we were face to face.. I wouldnt have been able to keep a straight one

cheers
wally

October 31st, 2010, 1:37 am #9

"Straight through the gate between bat & pad, middle stump is now 5 feet back!"

Got me good Wally, I know you're a resident "Go-to Man" on airliner matters, a dark art to me, so I had no reason to doubt you at all. If anything the APU remark added credence to the story, made it sound like you have beers on the weekend with the Flight Engineer from that very flight!

Hell, I was 16.5 and transitioning between RCTRP and SMNRP*, all I recall of that flight is telling my mates our hostie could sit in the bottom of a Redheads matchbox and STILL have room either side to wiggle her butt! ;0

Thanks mate, Jamie, who may just go with the kit's VH-ANA!

G'day Jamie,
Wally can certainly be a trickster, but he IS a priceless source of airliner info, I have gone to him for heaps of stuff.
Can I suggest that you make the kit straight from box using kit-supplied decals except "VH-ANA" and then custom-make the rego of your choice as a substitute decal. That way you could have "your" aircraft. It wouldn't be hard as it is just black leterring. If you need a hand yell out and I will do them for you.
According to JP Airline-Fleets 1990/1991 (the fleet-list "Bible" of the Industry) these are the aircraft you have to choose from for that period:
VH-ANA Boeing 727-277 Advanced
VH-ANB Boeing 727-277 Advanced
VH-ANE Boeing 727-277 Advanced
VH-ANF Boeing 727-277 Advanced
VH-RMN Boeing 727-277 Advanced
There was also VH-RMX in fleet at the time but she was a freighter.
All aircraft would have been in the very sexy "Shooting Stars" scheme as shown in your supplied photo and the Hasegawa kit, (which is a lovely little kit BTW). So you have a 1 in 5 chance of guessing the right rego, not bad odds.
TOR
PS: Here is my suggestions... maybe "ANA" for: "A Nice Aircraft", "ANB" for: "A Nice Boeing", or "ANF" for: "A Nice Flight".

Last edited by rayqf on October 31st, 2010, 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

October 31st, 2010, 9:20 am #10

Been making my own decals on laser & inkjet for about 4 years now, so once a rego is arrived at plan to add it to my latest (5th) run.

Thanks heaps for thinning the options down to 5, I like RMN as something different, who's to say I'm wrong? ;0

Edit - scratch RMN!

VH-RMN. Boeing 727-277. c/n 21695-1481.

Withdrawn from Ansett service - February 9, 1987

Leased to Polynesian Airlines and operated its first service to Vila - March 1, 1987

Painted in dual livery and titles - Polynesian on port side and Cook Islands International on starboard side

Operated exclusively for Polynesian Airlines - May 1990 to April 18, 1992

Aircraft was named 'Fuatino'

During lease to Polynesian this aircraft was prohibited from operating domestic services under

the Australian Two Airline Policy capacity restrictions then in force

Returned to Ansett domestic service in Polynesian livery Sydney-Coolangatta - April 20, 1992

Repainted in East West livery and rolled out as such - May 22, 1992

Last edited by DDGboy on October 31st, 2010, 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.