need help again guys.....

need help again guys.....

August 7th, 2010, 7:50 am #1

im in newcastle and i need to know what paints to get for the 26 pigs i have to build;)

what are all the colours to get the pig right? i need camo paint FS numbers and any paint that goes on it in FS numbers??????

its just that frontline has a cracker paint choice and im here etc.

they have HB pig for $86 and a pile of 1/32 spitfire VIII for i think $132 or $138......is that a good price in aus or can i do better else where......and yes i would prefer to keep cash in aus;)

mark

August 7th, 2010, 10:06 am #2

August 7th, 2010, 8:58 pm #3

im in newcastle and i need to know what paints to get for the 26 pigs i have to build;)

what are all the colours to get the pig right? i need camo paint FS numbers and any paint that goes on it in FS numbers??????

they have HB pig for $86 and a pile of 1/32 spitfire VIII for i think $132 or $138......is that a good price in aus or can i do better else where......and yes i would prefer to keep cash in aus;)

mark
You might as well buy there. I have seen cheaper prices for both the pig and the Spitfire but by the time you add postage or the cost of petrol you won't have saved much if anything.

If you're not worried about where you source the kits from you can do better.

David's Model Pages

David's Model Pages on Facebook

August 7th, 2010, 9:48 pm #4

mark
First for Camo Pigs. The most important colour to get right is the Tan FS 30219 The best colour is Humbrol 118. Don't use Model Master unless you want to have the look of a faded old hack. Then you will have to fade the Greens to suit. Green colours FS 34102 & 34079 and Grey for the bottom FS 36622. I like to use Xtracolor as their colours are more consistant. Remember their FS numbers start with 1 as in FS 14102 which is gloss. This makes it easier for decaling. Don't be put off if you think the gloss colour is too dark, as you will have to put a semi-gloss coat on to finish off.

Grey Pigs. I have never liked Gunship Grey FS 36118 streight out of the can in any brand. I have found you have to lighten it a bit. Don't refer to photos for the shade, as the colour will change due to how long the aircraft has been painted, the light conditions (cloudy or in the shade), even the mix of paint. Best bet is to go to an airshow (be quick), and get a mind-eye-view of what the colour compares to a colour sample on a piece of card. Just don't use it out of the can.

I prefer to show my models as they come out of the paint shop, especially when you have a large number to paint.

This is not only my opinion, but the views of a RAAF painter/modeller of many years experience. Hope this helps.

Regards
Peter R.

August 7th, 2010, 10:38 pm #5

mark
Mark, there was a thread on Tamiya Spit VIII prices here not long ago - go back to page 3 or 4 of this forum for info on the best prices.

I bought mine from HobbyEasy for around AU$106. This price does not include P&P, but I ordered a few other goodies at the same time, so the P&P cost is spread out a little more. H/Easy is good to deal with; I have placed several orders with them over the last few years without any problems at all.