Military 727-200s?

Military 727-200s?

February 22nd, 2010, 1:26 am #1

Hello,

I've read a few blokes here know a few things about airliners in the military. My question is: I have received a 1/72 KMC 727-200 kit (big kit!). Would like to make a military version. Anyone know if decals exists at all? The NZ air force had one if I remember right?
Any other countries operated them?

Look forward to your thoughts.

KurtA

February 22nd, 2010, 1:29 am #2

there ya go

February 22nd, 2010, 1:30 am #3

Hello,

I've read a few blokes here know a few things about airliners in the military. My question is: I have received a 1/72 KMC 727-200 kit (big kit!). Would like to make a military version. Anyone know if decals exists at all? The NZ air force had one if I remember right?

KurtA
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.s ... humbnails=

February 22nd, 2010, 1:43 am #4

Thanks Wally. Lots to look at there.

I also found this interesting one. Looks like a cranky Orca:
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Policia- ... 1447927/L/
KurtA

February 22nd, 2010, 3:29 am #5

Hello,

KurtA
Kurt,

Not many decal sheets exist for military 727s in 1/144 let alone 1/72. You will have to make your own.

As for trying the Kiwi scheme, they flew -100s and you would have to do a lot of work to the kit the convert it.

The USAF operated a few 727s as C-22s

[/IMG]

A nice white scheme to try your hand at

Cheers

Ray
Missed it by that much!....

February 22nd, 2010, 9:12 pm #6

Not much up on Airliners and not one to want to convert. Shame. The Kiwi thing looks ok.

Again thanks.

Kind regards

KurtA

February 23rd, 2010, 1:31 am #7

Hello,

KurtA
This kit is what sent KMC broke, they tried their best, but were let down by others who they sub contracted things out to (fuselage moulding), sounds a bit like some 1:1 airliners.

Now if you need or want to fix a few things up, then the worst part is the nose which is quite poor in shape and doesn't capture the Boeing nose at all, a resin replacement was available from Kurt at Authentic Airliners,

http://authentic-airliners.de/accessories/

I have quite a lot of Kurt's airlines, which are very expensive, but absolutly the best resin kits you will ever come across.

He had stopped manufacturing, but has just restarted with someone new doing the moulding now, so not sure if it is still available.

Another way is to cut the nose of an AMT/Italeri KC135 kit which has a pretty good shape, much better than the Heller 707, or you could just do a mould of that if you are game.

February 23rd, 2010, 6:05 am #8

Hello,

KurtA
Hi Kurt,
Ahh the 727, what a beautiful aeroplane!!!.
As popular as the 727-200 was/is as a Civil airliner, believe it or not, she just didn't sell as a military aircraft, despite repeated efforts over the years by Boeing to market her in different military roles and applications. This being the case, your options for military markings on a 727-200 are somewhat limited. Here are a couple you may want to consider however.
a/ USAF C-22C. The USAF operated 1 Boeing C-22C (ie: 727-200) in a predominently all-white scheme. This aircraft is in fact the subject of a recent Minicraft 1:144th release. Note that the USAF fleet of C-22As and C-22Bs are all ex-airline Boeing 727-100s so are not applicable to the KMC kit without modification.
b/ Yugoslav Air Force 727-200. The former Yugoslav Air Force operated 2 727-200s in the VIP and general transport role.
c/ The Governments of Bukina Faso, Mali, Benin, Afganistan, Mexico, Congo, Jordan, Brunei, UAE, Senagal, Cameroon, Nigeria, Kuwait, Qatar, and Bahrain have all, at different times, operated 727-200s in the Royal/VIP Transport role, (some nice colour schemes to pick from there!!)
d/ Ecuadorian Air Force. The Ecuadorian Air Force operates a significant military airline known as TAME. TAME have operated a substantial 727 fleet over the years including several 727-200s. Of note is the striking and most attractive colour scheme that these aircraft carry.
So as you can see Kurt, there is some exotic and interesting 727-200 potential model subject matter here for you to choose from. Hope this helps.
Regards
the other Ray
Last edited by rayqf on February 23rd, 2010, 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 23rd, 2010, 9:28 pm #9

Hello,

KurtA
Wow I didn't think Airliner's were that complicated. I think I'll put it into the stash and think about it more!
Again, your comments have been appreciated.
KurtA

February 23rd, 2010, 10:55 pm #10

Hi Kurt,
That's the wonderful thing about airliners. It is a far more diverse, interersting, and complex subject than most people realize, (ask Ed Russell and the boys of the Model Expo committee how complicated this subject can be!!!). One of my two major modelling themes is that of "Military and Governement Airliners" and includes aircraft modifiied for such roles as Tanker/Transport, AWACS, VIP Transport, Maritime Patrol, Airborne Command Post, Surveillance and Reconnaissance, and Airborne Laser Platform. If I live to be 200 years old I will still not get to build all the subject matter that this theme alone offers. Than there are the "non-military/non-airline" Airliners that are used for such diverse roles as engine test-beds, company demonstrators, VLAT fire-bombers, personal/private transports, parobolic weightlessness training, Airborne observatory platforms, Space Shuttle Transports, movie props, etc, etc. So step on into the wonderful world of Airliners Kurt, it has so much to offer !!! (geez, I make it sound like a cult!!!). I like it so much, it is even my day-job.
the other Ray
Last edited by rayqf on February 23rd, 2010, 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.