Hobby Boss F/A-18A with Southern Sky '77 Squadron Anniversary' decals

Hobby Boss F/A-18A with Southern Sky '77 Squadron Anniversary' decals

March 16th, 2008, 12:58 pm #1

This is my just completed 1/48 Hobby Boss F/A-18A Hornet with 77 Squadron Anniversary decals from Southern Sky. I am still to add the ASRAAM missiles to the wings. The kit appears to be a 'take off' of the Hasegawa kit as I used the Eduard ZOOM P/E for the Hasegawa kit to enhance the cockpit-It was a perfect fit. I updated the tail to RAAF specs adding strengtheners and extra ECM. I also had to scratch up some tail navigation lights as there were none supplied in the kit. The decals from Southern Sky were good except the roundel and formation lights which when applied was too pale so I stencilled the roundel on and used the kit decals for the formation lights. There are no nose door numbers so I had to go the Aussie Decal sheet to correct this issue and the pilots name is not supplied. The only other issue with the decals was the length and wrong angle of the front of the anniversary markings (but I can live with this as they were probably for the Hasegawa kit). The only real difficulty with the kit itself which I believe was also a problem with the Hasegawa kit is the fitting of the nose section to the fuselage. Intake and exhaust bungs (thanks Motty) made using Milliput and RBF tags from Verlinden. Anyway, I hope you like the end result. Any comments welcome.

Regards

Andrew

If you say, "you can't", you won't. If you say, "I quit", then you have failed. If you say, "I'll try", then you may just conquer!

March 16th, 2008, 10:38 pm #2

the Hasegawa kit? Hmmmmmmmmmm? Thanks for your decal info as well.

What am I looking at above the nose cone - the black streaking? A noted area for some sort of deposit from intakes?

Cheers

Roachie-oi

March 16th, 2008, 11:18 pm #3

gunfire residue. I figured since the decal sheet didn't have the pilots name detail as it did at Avalon 2007, I thought I'd put it back into operational service and 'dirty' it up a bit by adding some subtle weathering and operational streaking. I am just awaiting the ASRAAMs for the wings to give the complete look. Thanks for your comments.

Regards

Andrew

If you say, "you can't", you won't. If you say, "I quit", then you have failed. If you say, "I'll try", then you may just conquer!

Bruce A
Bruce A

March 17th, 2008, 4:26 am #4

This is my just completed 1/48 Hobby Boss F/A-18A Hornet with 77 Squadron Anniversary decals from Southern Sky. I am still to add the ASRAAM missiles to the wings. The kit appears to be a 'take off' of the Hasegawa kit as I used the Eduard ZOOM P/E for the Hasegawa kit to enhance the cockpit-It was a perfect fit. I updated the tail to RAAF specs adding strengtheners and extra ECM. I also had to scratch up some tail navigation lights as there were none supplied in the kit. The decals from Southern Sky were good except the roundel and formation lights which when applied was too pale so I stencilled the roundel on and used the kit decals for the formation lights. There are no nose door numbers so I had to go the Aussie Decal sheet to correct this issue and the pilots name is not supplied. The only other issue with the decals was the length and wrong angle of the front of the anniversary markings (but I can live with this as they were probably for the Hasegawa kit). The only real difficulty with the kit itself which I believe was also a problem with the Hasegawa kit is the fitting of the nose section to the fuselage. Intake and exhaust bungs (thanks Motty) made using Milliput and RBF tags from Verlinden. Anyway, I hope you like the end result. Any comments welcome.

Regards

Andrew

must build an aussie hornet. My collection is sadly lacking oz stuff

Roachie-oi
Roachie-oi

March 17th, 2008, 4:41 am #5

gunfire residue. I figured since the decal sheet didn't have the pilots name detail as it did at Avalon 2007, I thought I'd put it back into operational service and 'dirty' it up a bit by adding some subtle weathering and operational streaking. I am just awaiting the ASRAAMs for the wings to give the complete look. Thanks for your comments.

Regards

Andrew

Andrew Doppel
Andrew Doppel

March 17th, 2008, 4:50 am #6

must build an aussie hornet. My collection is sadly lacking oz stuff
the decal situation for those that have them and intend to use them. Also beware that they too are lighter than previous issued decals for the Hornet by Southern Sky.

Regards

Andrew

John Tavendale
John Tavendale

March 17th, 2008, 6:25 am #7

Regards

Andrew

Great build mate, it came out really nicely!

I have some of those decals too. But I think I'll wait for the Afterburner Decals ones and use those.

March 17th, 2008, 7:21 am #8

Regards

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

very nice build.

Can't wait to start my Hobbyboss F/A-18C!

Will probably use the Hawkeye decals.

Regards,

Jason

Andrew Doppel
Andrew Doppel

March 17th, 2008, 8:49 am #9

other than those points in my narrative it was and is a nice kit to build.

Regards

Andrew

March 17th, 2008, 1:21 pm #10

Regards

Andrew

Excellant work on your F18.

Cheers
PJ