Hasegawa 1/48 A6M5 Zero Type 52 Finished

Hasegawa 1/48 A6M5 Zero Type 52 Finished

June 9th, 2010, 12:48 pm #1

I have made a little progress on my first IJN a/c. The fuselage and wings are together and the cockpit installed. With thanks to Mario Holly, I repainted the engine to be a little more accurate. I didn't do the cylinders black as they should be but I know for next time!

[/IMG]

All the major completed components, there are others such as u/c doors put away safely. I have cut off the rudder and will clean it up and reposition it (another first for me!).

[/IMG]

The engine, prop and cowling completed before any weathering.

[/IMG]

The front and rear canopies have been affixed to protect the cockpit.

[/IMG]

The underside with the Eduard P/E flap bays installed and a piece of evergreeen to fix a nasty gap.

The Master Model barrels will look great but they are almost full length. After some guidance from other HS bretheren, I installed a small piece of evergreen just forward of the I/P at the correct depth. I then aligned and drilled holes to accept the barrels. I will install them through the open engine housing after painting of the fuselage and before final construction.

Thanks for looking and thanks to those who help us struggling artists!!!

Regards

Kent in Oz
Last edited by Kahunaminor on August 23rd, 2010, 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 10th, 2010, 4:58 am #2

Looks good so far Kent!

Ray
Missed it by that much!....

June 11th, 2010, 11:12 am #3

N/T

Kent in Oz

August 1st, 2010, 4:59 am #4

I have made a little progress on my first IJN a/c. The fuselage and wings are together and the cockpit installed. With thanks to Mario Holly, I repainted the engine to be a little more accurate. I didn't do the cylinders black as they should be but I know for next time!

[/IMG]

All the major completed components, there are others such as u/c doors put away safely. I have cut off the rudder and will clean it up and reposition it (another first for me!).

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

The underside with the Eduard P/E flap bays installed and a piece of evergreeen to fix a nasty gap.

The Master Model barrels will look great but they are almost full length. After some guidance from other HS bretheren, I installed a small piece of evergreen just forward of the I/P at the correct depth. I then aligned and drilled holes to accept the barrels. I will install them through the open engine housing after painting of the fuselage and before final construction.

Regards

Kent in Oz
Been a while since I updated and whilst there doesn't appear to be a great deal of forward movement there has been a little! Here are the latest photos:

[/img]
The entire a/c has been given a coat of Tamiya spray primer and the airframe is closed up. The tail was removed and repositioned. Not entirely successful but an acceptable first go.

[/img]
The canopy sliding portion is held in place with Micro - tack, a temporary adhesive that will allow it to be removed later and repositioned. After having sprayed the canopy interior colour under the primer, I read that it should have been black inside. Oh well something for next time!

[/img]
Despite attaching the upper wings to the fuselage first I was still left with a slight step. Sanded with 600 then finished with Micro Mesh sanding pads.

[/img]
A better head on view showing the Master Model cannon and pitot. The deck guns will be added through the large hole just prior to joining the cowling to the fuselage. The pitot hole was way too big so I filled it with a piece of evergreen rod and then drilled it out with a suitable drill bit to fit the pitot better.

[/img]
The aotake has been sprayed into the wheel wells and flap bays (which have been masked for painting). I used the Model Master enamel colour for the aotake.

[/img]
The Eduard PE flap has been folded into shape and sprayed aotake. This will get an oil wash prior to being added later.

[/img]
The main components. Next will be the yellow IFF bands on the wing leading edges which will then be masked and the camouflage colours sprayed.

That's all for now. I hope to have it finished by next weekend. Constructive comments welcome.

Kent in Oz
Last edited by Kahunaminor on August 1st, 2010, 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 5th, 2010, 4:14 am #5

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Regards

Kent in Oz
Hello all,

I have just sprayed the upper colour on my Hasegawa Zero using MM Japanese Army Navy Green enamel. I may have thined it a bit much and it has left a streaky finish. I cannot decide if it is appropriate for a underlying weather beaten finish or just a crappy paint job. I still have to decal, waather and final coat. I am leaning towards a repaint but thought I would throw it out there for comment:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Thanks for your time and please be frank (even though it's a zero) :whistle:

Kent in Oz
Last edited by Kahunaminor on August 5th, 2010, 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew Doppel (A2)
Andrew Doppel (A2)

August 5th, 2010, 6:19 am #6

Will look very realistic when you've added your own personal touches.

Regards

Andrew

August 5th, 2010, 11:55 pm #7

Hello all,

I have just sprayed the upper colour on my Hasegawa Zero using MM Japanese Army Navy Green enamel. I may have thined it a bit much and it has left a streaky finish. I cannot decide if it is appropriate for a underlying weather beaten finish or just a crappy paint job. I still have to decal, waather and final coat. I am leaning towards a repaint but thought I would throw it out there for comment:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Thanks for your time and please be frank (even though it's a zero) :whistle:

Kent in Oz
After some consideration it wasn't the look I was going for. Will post some more later.

Kent in Oz

August 8th, 2010, 7:32 am #8

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Regards

Kent in Oz
Having repainted after that dreadful excuse for a first coat on the upper areas the a/c is almost finished. The decals are on using Micro Sol/Set and a gloss coat has gone over the top. I let it sit for a couple of hours and when I came back I saw the gloss coat was again a bit patchy. I used Micro glosscoat and it didn't take too well. Normally it does okay so it must have been me. I will let it dry, give it a slight sand with Micromesh and give it another coat possibly with Glosscote Lacquer this time. Here are some pictures:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

There are a few small things to go (Promodeller wash, slight weathering, some chipping, final dullcote and of course the remaining parts)but I hope to finish up this weekend.

Thanks for looking.

Regards,

Kent in Oz
Last edited by Kahunaminor on August 8th, 2010, 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 22nd, 2010, 10:32 am #9

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Regards

Kent in Oz
I sanded back the starboard upper wings and recoated with Microgloss again and it came out much better. The Promodeller dark wash went over the entire airframe and whilst the undersurfaces went well, the upper surfaces appear to lose the wash a fair bit. It became more visible after the Dullcoat (rattle can) finishes. It is a bit more subdued than I normally like but it is there. The deck guns went in without a hitch.
[/img]

[/img]
The wing tip lights went on and I didn't quite get them aligned and they protrude a smidgeon. I will lightly sand them dosn and touch up with clear blue and clear red. Hopefully wont bugger up the leading edges too much.

[/img]
The masks came off the canopy and I was pleased with the masking itself but there appears to be some specks that got caught. I cannot get them out so I will have to live with them.

[/img]
The overall finish is okay. The port wing has a small mishap with a piece of hair that I pulled at and in doing so scratched the Dullcoat. I will have a go at fixing it next.

[/img]
The underside took the wash well, it even shows that smudge that I missed before Dullcoating! Lucky it is on the underside!

[/img]
Masked and sprayed the MG timing/alignment marks. Hey look Calum, white over black!!

[/img]
Had a Dullcoat run. Sanded it back and took to it with Micro mesh. It will be as good as new after a recoat of flat black.

[/img]

[/img]
The exhaust is Tamiya weathering kits (soot). I changed it a bit this time and used a damp applicator and it went on a bit smoother. Still a couple of touch ups to be done but nearly there.

[/img]
Just about there now. Thanks for looking and as always constructive criticism is appreciated

Kent in Oz
Last edited by Kahunaminor on August 22nd, 2010, 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mick Stephenson
Mick Stephenson

August 22nd, 2010, 11:03 am #10

I envy those that can build Braille Scale with such detail.

Keep them coming

Rugs