F/A-18 Hornet Assymetric wing tanks?

F/A-18 Hornet Assymetric wing tanks?

May 23rd, 2009, 3:27 am #1

Hello,

Any of the Hornet experts know why these only had tanks on the centreline and starboard stations only? Looks weird not to have one on the port side to 'balance' things up.

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php? ... 601&nseq=4

May 23rd, 2009, 4:11 am #2

Not being so interested in the 'old' Hornet not much info has been accumulated. However 'somewhere' there is comprehensive info from the Super Hornet about assymetric wing load limits. There would be a table of wing stations and load limits according to many possibilities of same. Because of a targeting pod limitation you may see the result in that photo.

Let me know if you are interested in the Super Hornet info. I don't have a Hornet NATOPS at moment.

Ken
Ken

May 23rd, 2009, 5:22 am #3

Hello,

Any of the Hornet experts know why these only had tanks on the centreline and starboard stations only? Looks weird not to have one on the port side to 'balance' things up.

Goofy gas has the advantage of giving a much wider field of view for the flir pod on the left shoulder station and frees up another station for a PGM. Hornet handling is not affected by the assymetric tank configuration although there are moment calculations that have to be made to stay within certain limits. This config has been used for years by the US Navy and Marines but only started to get adopted by the RAAF around the time of Op Falconer. As long as there are plenty of tankers around operational radius is not impacted.

Ken

May 23rd, 2009, 7:29 am #4

Hello,

Ken covered the reason for the tanks but what a fantastic photo!

Cheers,
Motty.

May 23rd, 2009, 7:55 am #5

photo websites like Jetphotos and airliners and look at the history!

Ken
Ken

May 23rd, 2009, 8:57 am #6

Some really great stuff in his archives from his years in the RAAF. A lot can be found on Jet Photos and Airliners.net

May 23rd, 2009, 9:47 am #7

Ken covered the reason for the tanks but what a fantastic photo!

Cheers,
Motty.

Wally goes flying in TA4G 878 at RAAF Amberley 31 Aug 1977

Last edited by SpazSinbad on May 23rd, 2009, 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wal Nelowkin
Wal Nelowkin

May 24th, 2009, 3:22 am #8

Hello,

Thanks for explaining the Assymmetric Hornet tanks.

I recall a case of accidental 'Slightly Assymetric tanks' on a 2OCU Mirage at Williamtown in the late 1960s. They had a 1300L external tank on one side and a 1700L tank on the other (286 and 374 Imp Gals respectively).

The groundcrew troops picked up the problem due to inconsistent Fuel Totals, depending on whether they used 2x 1300L, or 2x 1700L in the Fuel Calculations, after Re-fuelling.

Thanks also for the complimentary comments guys - on the Anzac Day Flypast photo. Given the quality of Darren's photos, his comment was high praise indeed. It was a Lucky Capture - first shot in a 14 photo sequence. See MyAviation.net (1600 wide images).

As well as about 600 photos on Airliners.net and about 400 on JetPhotos.net, I have 5400 photos on MyAviation.net. I have uploaded only a small fraction of my old aircraft photos so far. (I have stopped uploading to ANet due to Screening hassles, but I may try uploading to them again soon).

Regards Wal

Richard G
Richard G

May 24th, 2009, 4:54 am #9

Wal its people such as you, that provide us with a great deal of inspiration, as our aviation heritage becomes a great deal richer when historical images are available for reference. Well done and keep them coming.

May 24th, 2009, 8:10 am #10