F-111 kit

F-111 kit

Andrew
Andrew

November 24th, 2008, 5:48 am #1

Hi all. A very generous friend recently gave me a 1/48 Academy F-111C (the one with the Pig flying over Sydney Harbour on the box) as a present. I'm thinking about doing A8-274 from 6 Sqn with the big Pig's head on the tail. According to Aussie Decals, this is a "G" model, which leads to my question; can this kit be converted realatively in-exspensively? (read: don't want to spend any more than I have to!!) I'm not being a scrooge, but I have a few kits already waiting for the construction line and to be honest; an F-111 isn't high on my priority list. I'll build it (eventually!!) but I'd prefer to channel money into a subject I'm really passionate about (i.e an F-16 or a Blackhawk).

TIA!!

Andrew.

November 24th, 2008, 6:54 am #2

It has the extra bits to do the Triple Plow II intakes. However you will need to source some extra bits from Scaledown to make it into a proper "G" e.g.different fuel dump mast. Just be patient & I'm sure Pappy or A1 or A2 will pop along & fill you in...
Last edited by shaun68 on November 24th, 2008, 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 25th, 2008, 4:18 am #3

That makes me feel a bit better! Thanks for that. I also really love that marking scheme so I can order it guilt-free!!

Andrew
Andrew

November 27th, 2008, 10:38 pm #4

Hi all. A very generous friend recently gave me a 1/48 Academy F-111C (the one with the Pig flying over Sydney Harbour on the box) as a present. I'm thinking about doing A8-274 from 6 Sqn with the big Pig's head on the tail. According to Aussie Decals, this is a "G" model, which leads to my question; can this kit be converted realatively in-exspensively? (read: don't want to spend any more than I have to!!) I'm not being a scrooge, but I have a few kits already waiting for the construction line and to be honest; an F-111 isn't high on my priority list. I'll build it (eventually!!) but I'd prefer to channel money into a subject I'm really passionate about (i.e an F-16 or a Blackhawk).

TIA!!

Andrew.
Hi all. I was having a closer look at some Pig reference shots that I've aquired over the years and noticed that the formation strip lights are placed in different spots on different A/C. Why is that? Also, does anyone have any good references for A8-274 when it wore the big Pig's head on the tail? Finally, can anyone provide a ordinance load-out for a Pig when it's carrying Snakeyes? I ask as I've decided to fit out my "G" with some Snakeyes and the appropriate racks. I have read somewhere that for the inner pylons, a stepped configuration was used. I was just wondering what that was.

TIA!!

Andrew.

Andrew
Andrew

November 27th, 2008, 10:40 pm #5

TIA!!

Andrew.
Hi all. I was having a closer look at some Pig reference shots that I've aquired over the years and noticed that the formation strip lights are placed in different spots on different A/C. Why is that? Also, does anyone have any good references for A8-274 when it wore the big Pig's head on the tail? Finally, can anyone provide a ordinance load-out for a Pig when it's carrying Snakeyes? I ask as I've decided to fit out my "G" with some Snakeyes and the appropriate racks. I have read somewhere that for the inner pylons, a stepped configuration was used. I was just wondering what that was.

TIA!!

Andrew.

Andrew
Andrew

November 27th, 2008, 10:41 pm #6

about the double post. Apparently I wasn't logged in and was asked to re-post...

John Ellis
John Ellis

November 28th, 2008, 2:04 am #7

TIA!!

Andrew.
Andrew
On the inner pylons, snake-eyes were not carried on the inboard sides of the racks. Only on the lower and outer sides.
This was to ensure the fuselage was not damaged.
John

Andrew Doppel (A2)
Andrew Doppel (A2)

November 28th, 2008, 5:01 am #8

TIA!!

Andrew.
http://www.aussiemodeller.com/Images/Ga ... 8-274.html

Pappy, Budgie and Nathan would be the ones to ask as they either work on them or have done so in the past.

Regards

Andrew

Chris Cairns
Chris Cairns

November 30th, 2008, 10:12 pm #9

TIA!!

Andrew.
As for the Form lights on the Pigs Our "C" models don't have any The only exception is that some of the fleet have replacement panels below the side seals on the aft fuselage that didn't start out as C model panels so will have the Form light there however there is no wiring etc for them. The F-111G will have the form lights in all the positions Fuse, Top, wingtips. As for the weapons load 'Dumb' bombs are the go no point hanging GBU or AGM off it.As for the snakes I think the inside 2 MK82HD were left off each BRU for fuselage clearance if dropping with the wings swept But Pappy would be your best bet answering this one.

Hope that helps

Cheers Cairnsy

'Anonymous Guest'
'Anonymous Guest'

November 30th, 2008, 10:13 pm #10

It has the extra bits to do the Triple Plow II intakes. However you will need to source some extra bits from Scaledown to make it into a proper "G" e.g.different fuel dump mast. Just be patient & I'm sure Pappy or A1 or A2 will pop along & fill you in...
Hi Andrew,

Further to Shaun's comments (which I had just found by the way), 'yes' is the answer to your question. As Shaun has already mentioned the fuel dump mast is different and needs to be changed. Scaledown who do resin parts for F111s in all scales (distributed through Oz Mods-refer links page or here; http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/ozmodsscales/Scale.html ) also have corrected weapons pylons for the G model as the G doesn't have the rounded off pylons that the C carries in the kit, G long range fuel tanks and some other bits and pieces that bring the basic kit up to G specs. Probably the biggest external difference in the two is the nose hump on the G that the C doesn't have and the different intakes which are in the C kit anyway (previously mentioned by Shaun).

If you need pics of what we are mentioning please don't hesitate to post further or email.

Regards

Andrew