F-111 for Edinburgh

F-111 for Edinburgh

July 15th, 2010, 7:11 am #1

It has been announced that one of the bases to get F-111 gate guards will be RAAF Edinburgh, probably to commemorate the role ARDU had in the RAAF use of the aircraft.
So local SA people will be able to see a Pig after they are retired, pity that gate guard use is pretty much a bad fate for a fine aircraft.

Cheers

Tony

July 15th, 2010, 9:43 pm #2

well i guess it depends on how its done

if its on the ground & easily accessed by vandals thats a waste, but if its secured either up a pole or under security surveilance then at least its still something...have seen some good photos of pole mounted aircraft ..the best ones are the poles are right up the engine block showing the plane in a near vertical climb...i think i saw a photo of a mig 23 & they painted the pole red as to give the impression of the jet in full after burner ..not sure if its still around considering the state of the russian armed force bases & museums these days..just imagine if they did something like that for an F-111 ...need a lot of metal & concrete for a dump & burn

July 15th, 2010, 10:51 pm #3

It has been announced that one of the bases to get F-111 gate guards will be RAAF Edinburgh, probably to commemorate the role ARDU had in the RAAF use of the aircraft.
So local SA people will be able to see a Pig after they are retired, pity that gate guard use is pretty much a bad fate for a fine aircraft.

Cheers

Tony
we still put perfectly good aeroplanes up a pole or leave them to rot in the weather?
Gate guardian my arse, more like an abomination.
Put them in a museum or scrap them now, it would be kinder.
Dannielle

If the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon: Pink Floyd

July 15th, 2010, 11:49 pm #4

Cheers

Tony
I'll take good care of it. Hell, I'd take good care of a F-111's wheel nut if I had one.

Ben.

Things that make u go HMMM!

July 16th, 2010, 12:30 am #5

we still put perfectly good aeroplanes up a pole or leave them to rot in the weather?
Gate guardian my arse, more like an abomination.
Put them in a museum or scrap them now, it would be kinder.
Dannielle

If the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon: Pink Floyd
Agreed Danni, gate gaurdian status is just a slow painfull version of scrapping unless an airframe is put undercover in an airconditioned glass walled building.
At least in the case of some it delays scrapping untill the aircraft can be preserved.

ITAR restrictions probably mean the "preserved" aircraft will all be stripped shells anyway.

Cheers

Tony

July 16th, 2010, 5:20 am #6

I'll take good care of it. Hell, I'd take good care of a F-111's wheel nut if I had one.

Ben.

Things that make u go HMMM!
Mirage, Macchi, Kittyhawk, Mustang, Vampire, Wirraway, Spitfire, Liberator, Lancaster, Wackett, Neptune & Orion bits and pieces that I cherish in my collection.

Regards

Andrew Doppel
Assistant Moderator AMI
Last edited by AndrewDoppel on July 16th, 2010, 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 17th, 2010, 11:21 am #7

Agreed Danni, gate gaurdian status is just a slow painfull version of scrapping unless an airframe is put undercover in an airconditioned glass walled building.
At least in the case of some it delays scrapping untill the aircraft can be preserved.

ITAR restrictions probably mean the "preserved" aircraft will all be stripped shells anyway.

Cheers

Tony
well this was brought up at our chat......

thats right as it stand any of us getting anything is about as much as me flying the sabre!!!!!

i put my hand up for a cockpit....and i do have some cracker "friends" but there's no chance.Maybe some thing really small but really i dont know what will get out there.

from the way it was put to me ITAR really means USA owns it or part of it and there for they want it back or it has to be destroyed!!!!! they have asked for planes back after people have found them in lakes after 50 years etc.So thats it as far as i know.

i will put up pics from temora this week etc

mark

July 17th, 2010, 12:53 pm #8

Cheers

Tony
The talk of scrapping F-111's only applies to the G model, not the C model.

The G's have to be scrapped as it was a condition of sale to the RAAF that they would be destroyed at the end of their service life. They have to be destroyed because they are nuclear capable and therefore come under the terms of the SALT II treaty. It is the same situation the USAF have with the B-52's that are sitting at Davis-Monthan.

The C model Pigs aren't covered by the Strategic Arms Limitation Treaty so they don't have to be destroyed when they are retired. What will happen to them is not clear at the moment, but I would imagine that some will go into museums and some will be parked at RAAF base front gates.

Hope this helps clear up some of the confusion around this issue as it was never properly reported in the mainstream media.

Chris

July 18th, 2010, 9:00 am #9

so they can become recepticles for bird crap and rat urine, slowly corroding away until they become a safety hazard that will be dragged off and scrapped because the base CO didnt like them any more.
Nobody learned the lesson when it was done to spitfires and Vampires, looks like nobody ever will.
What a sterling way to honour these proud machines and those who flew them.
Danni

July 18th, 2010, 9:28 am #10

But, the RAAF and civilian volunteers at a number of bases have become a lot more diligent over the last few years in relation to the treatment of Gate Guardians. It is better than having them melted down and turned into coke/beer cans.

Chris