Downunder Wellesley

Downunder Wellesley

February 21st, 2008, 8:50 am #1

G'day all,

I have finally completed my 1/72 Matchbox Vickers Wellesley.

The subject of this build was one of a trio of Wellesley aircraft belonging to the Long Range Development Unit (LRDU) that were engaged in a record breaking long distance flight from England to Australia in 1938. All three reached Australia, however only one aircraft managed to fly home, one returned by ship and a third, L2639, the subject of my build was abandoned.

Following an engine failure (due to a broken oil line), the aircraft made a successful forced landing. The aircrew were rescued by a ground party, but the aircraft was deemed a write-off by the RAF due to the remote locality.

The plane was salvaged and eventually sold to the RAAF, where it was employed as a ground maintenance training aid during WWII. Sadly, the airframe was 'converted to components' at the War's end and the door finally closed on this chapter of aviation history

I posed the kit in flight as the wheel wells are far too shallow and contain no detail whatsoever. I also repositioned the flight controls to depict a banking turn to add some interest. I chose to depict the time immediately after the engine failure, so there was plenty of oil streaking on the left side behind the cowl. I actually don't know how the oil pattern would have appeared, I just used some artistic licence.The aircraft a unique pannier that I have not seen on other Wellesley aircraft. I made a master using plastic and scrap resin and cast a couple of copies. These were based on photos taken during the 1938 visit. I made then with a degree of educated guesswork, but I cannot vouch for their complete accuracy.
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

The decals were printed by Richard Chafer, whom some of you may recognise as Mr Gekko Graphics, and these performed flawlessly.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

cheers,

Pappy

Budgie
Budgie

February 21st, 2008, 9:14 am #2

February 21st, 2008, 11:04 am #3

That's me, an ideas man!

Pappy

Mick Drover
Mick Drover

February 23rd, 2008, 6:15 am #4

G'day all,

I have finally completed my 1/72 Matchbox Vickers Wellesley.

The subject of this build was one of a trio of Wellesley aircraft belonging to the Long Range Development Unit (LRDU) that were engaged in a record breaking long distance flight from England to Australia in 1938. All three reached Australia, however only one aircraft managed to fly home, one returned by ship and a third, L2639, the subject of my build was abandoned.

Following an engine failure (due to a broken oil line), the aircraft made a successful forced landing. The aircrew were rescued by a ground party, but the aircraft was deemed a write-off by the RAF due to the remote locality.

The plane was salvaged and eventually sold to the RAAF, where it was employed as a ground maintenance training aid during WWII. Sadly, the airframe was 'converted to components' at the War's end and the door finally closed on this chapter of aviation history

I posed the kit in flight as the wheel wells are far too shallow and contain no detail whatsoever. I also repositioned the flight controls to depict a banking turn to add some interest. I chose to depict the time immediately after the engine failure, so there was plenty of oil streaking on the left side behind the cowl. I actually don't know how the oil pattern would have appeared, I just used some artistic licence.The aircraft a unique pannier that I have not seen on other Wellesley aircraft. I made a master using plastic and scrap resin and cast a couple of copies. These were based on photos taken during the 1938 visit. I made then with a degree of educated guesswork, but I cannot vouch for their complete accuracy.
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

The decals were printed by Richard Chafer, whom some of you may recognise as Mr Gekko Graphics, and these performed flawlessly.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

cheers,

Pappy

The Wellesley looked fantastic in the flesh at the club meet the other night Pappy. Nice work bud.

Mick

February 23rd, 2008, 12:36 pm #5

G'day Mick,

Thanks for that. It is a difficult subject to photograph effectively due that big wing.

Speaking of the club night, you should post some pics of your Corsair,

cheers,

Pappy

March 11th, 2008, 9:47 am #6

That's me, an ideas man!

Pappy
... no more lockouts mate ? 

Slingers

Graham Slingsby
Owner/Webmaster - Aussie Modeller International.
http://www.aussiemodeller.com

March 11th, 2008, 10:58 pm #7

Hey it was the right room!

It was just the wrong building,

cheers,

Pappy