Anyone aware that VHC is up for sale

Anyone aware that VHC is up for sale

May 5th, 2010, 11:40 pm #1

I have heard from a couple of different sources now that VHC (Victorian Hobby Centre) may be up for sale.

Has anyone heard the same and may be interested in keeping this business afloat if the rumours are true?

Regards

Andrew Doppel
Assistant Moderator AMI

May 5th, 2010, 11:44 pm #2

Start with a large one & then buy a hobby business.

I wish whoever buys it every success, but buying a hobby shop is no get rich quick scheme. More a labour of love.

Still, I'd be sorry to see any modelling business go under.

May 6th, 2010, 1:25 am #3

I have heard from a couple of different sources now that VHC (Victorian Hobby Centre) may be up for sale.

Has anyone heard the same and may be interested in keeping this business afloat if the rumours are true?

Regards

Andrew Doppel
Assistant Moderator AMI
i hope it doesnt go under....that the best hobby shop in Melbourne when i visit every 2 years for the air show... the one under Flinders Street is good, but they seem more keen on remote Control & the other behind Myers is good but can be a bit pricey.
Thought the photo in ModelArt was of the shop behind Myer, oh well.

maybe they need to get more like Frontline & bigger & better mail order web site... i have only ordered once via mail order & that was during their sale & they sent me a list of items i was after & what they had in stock. but i dont think their web site is that informative..mybe its just me.

well hang in their guys.... we need all the hobby shops we can get & see that VHC is a prety much part of Melbourne history.

regards
AJ
Sydney OZ

May 6th, 2010, 2:40 am #4

from what I've heard. The picture in Model Art is definately VHC. It would be a shame to see this institution disappear for ever.

Regards

Andrew Doppel
Assistant Moderator AMI

May 7th, 2010, 2:49 am #5

Yeah your right it would be a shame to see it go but I can understand the owner wanting out and who knows maybe someone out there buy it and keep up the good name that is the V.H.C

And if the Hobby Place goes well no great loss there.

And rumour has it that Snowy's is on the down hill slide only open Saterdays now (cant be good for buisness)

Me thinks that hobby shops will soon start to become as rare as a sober Irishman.(no offence indended)

Cheers Jason out!

May 7th, 2010, 4:40 am #6

Ireland has one of the highest percentanges of tetotallers in the world ,along with Australia's indiginous population. If you apologise because you suspect something is going to offend someone , then don't submit it.

May 7th, 2010, 5:14 am #7

With a surname like Wholohan I bet you can guess what my racial background is....and I'm sober !

May 7th, 2010, 5:26 am #8

Ireland has one of the highest percentanges of tetotallers in the world ,along with Australia's indiginous population. If you apologise because you suspect something is going to offend someone , then don't submit it.
I always though we drunk a lot - statistics seems to show it.

http://alcohol-statistics-in-europe.own ... s_Ireland/

Alcohol Statistics Ireland:

* Irish adults have the highest consumption of alcohol and highest degree of binge drinking in Europe (European Union).
* Average alcohol consumption (according to alcohol statistics done in Ireland in 2002) was 9.3 liters. Twice as high compared to the statistical levels reported in most of the European countries.
* Highest alcohol consumption was in 2001 (14.4 liters) of pure alcohol.
* Alcohol consumption slowed down in Ireland in 2003 for the first time in 16 years by 6 percent because of a slowdown in spirits sales.
* Alcohol consumption statistics for Ireland in 2003 were 13.5 - 13.7 liters of pure alcohol, making Ireland #2 in the world, only behind Luxembourg. Australia is #30.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... onsumption

May 7th, 2010, 6:31 am #9

#30. Terrible.

May 7th, 2010, 8:07 am #10

Yeah your right it would be a shame to see it go but I can understand the owner wanting out and who knows maybe someone out there buy it and keep up the good name that is the V.H.C

And if the Hobby Place goes well no great loss there.

And rumour has it that Snowy's is on the down hill slide only open Saterdays now (cant be good for buisness)

Me thinks that hobby shops will soon start to become as rare as a sober Irishman.(no offence indended)

Cheers Jason out!
your reference to Snowy's reduced opening hours.

It's just a different business model he is undertaking and one that will probably see his business survive, rather than fail. In fact, I think this will increasingly be the business model of choice for hobby shops in teh future, as it allows the proprieter to keep overheads low.

I think the industry is changing and as such, retail outlets will need to change the way they do business.

Village Hobbies in Keilor has been operating quite successfully using this model for quite some time. I hope Snowy's goes on to prosper using this approach as well.