A joint father/son effort. And boy was it an effort!

A joint father/son effort. And boy was it an effort!

February 28th, 2008, 8:48 am #1

Without doubt this kit would easily be the worst model I have ever built. It is Airfix's 1/72 Heinkel He111 H-20. Besides having a bent fuselage section, poor fitting wings and a shocker of a canopy we had to use quite a bit of putty to get it looking as good as it does. Chris did most of it and is pleased with the end result. Chris wanted to show it, so we hope you like it.

Regards

Andrew and Chris

If you say, "you can't", you won't. If you say, "I quit", then you have failed. If you say, "I'll try", then you may just conquer!

February 29th, 2008, 9:59 am #2

Nice job Chris, I am sure you only got dad to help to make him feel useful

Finish looks great, I like the paint chips, thy are nicely done!

Cheers

Ray
Missed it by that much!....

Andrew Doppel
Andrew Doppel

February 29th, 2008, 11:28 am #3

Chris painted the cockpit and when he tried to put the two halves together he had to yell for help as one of the halves was bowed. I helped him get these together and shaved off as much as pssible to get the top right. If you look closely at it though there is still a raised seam (which I disguised whilst weathering). Chris then did the wings which weren't a problem until he went to glue them in place. Because of the warped fuselage it left big gaps in the wing roots and underneath which required heaps of putty and then more. Once we'd sanded back the putty I masked up the paint work and he sprayed it. He then did the decalling and I did the weathering for him and attached the crooked canopy which has gaps in it too and didn't like being painted. the main thing I guess is that he's happy with it.

Regards

Andrew