1/48 AZ Vultee Vengeance ...

1/48 AZ Vultee Vengeance ...

August 16th, 2010, 4:48 am #1

Did anyone else notice something strange with the shots of the masters for the 1/48 Vultee Vengeance?

The cowling and the cooling flaps as engraved are decidedly odd. Have a look at the images that Daniel Cox posted of the Vengeances at:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/t ... I+Aircraft

Now compare that to the cowling of the master:

Some others for comparison:

Collective thoughts?

Cheers

Roger

August 16th, 2010, 6:34 am #2

The cowling/s are a puzzle. Not sure whats happening there.
But Im not sure what you mean by the cooling flaps. They look okay to me. What have I missed? I have just spent ages going thru my photos and flipping them back wards and forwards to see what I missing.
Its driving me nuts.
Cmon Roger give us a hint.
Every time I see the heading AZ Vengeance my heart misses a beat I thought you were going to say it has been released.

Regards

Peter J.

August 16th, 2010, 6:39 am #3

Did anyone else notice something strange with the shots of the masters for the 1/48 Vultee Vengeance?

The cowling and the cooling flaps as engraved are decidedly odd. Have a look at the images that Daniel Cox posted of the Vengeances at:

Collective thoughts?

Cheers

Roger
Mind you if this was a Has or Tamiya kit they would've got it right.

August 16th, 2010, 8:28 am #4

Collective thoughts?

Cheers

Roger
The master looks a little square around the fron end. It may just be the photograph of course and the final word should wait until the kit comes out.

David Harvey
Editor
Aussie Modeller International

www.aussiemodeller.com

August 16th, 2010, 11:26 am #5

The cowling/s are a puzzle. Not sure whats happening there.
But Im not sure what you mean by the cooling flaps. They look okay to me. What have I missed? I have just spent ages going thru my photos and flipping them back wards and forwards to see what I missing.
Its driving me nuts.
Cmon Roger give us a hint.
Every time I see the heading AZ Vengeance my heart misses a beat I thought you were going to say it has been released.

Regards

Peter J.
looking at the real aircraft, take the position of the exhaust and then look closely at the AZ master - where are the cooling flaps (or whatever the technical term is) above and below the exhaust?

There should be two 'gills' above the exhaust and three below. Yet on the master, what do you see? How can the AZ engraved cooling flaps operate in the current configuration as presented on the masters?

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not having a go at AZ for having the gumption to produce this long awaited 1/48 scale kit but I am left wondering what were used as references to produce the masters that we see.

There are some good references out there including Peter C. Smith's book on the Vengeance as well as any number of good quality images of this much maligned dive bomber. Any of the images that I posted (directly from what's avialable on the Net I might add) clearly show the anomaly with the AZ masters.

Peter's book also gives exact measurements from the erection manual for the Vengeance as well as the various stations from where one can derive any number of calculations to produce a reasonably accurate model.

My only concern here (and yes I know we're dealing with images from AZ and not actually holding the masters) is that basic errors can and should be corrected before the kit hits the market. One only has to look a the flaw with the nose contours of the recently released 1/48 AZ Lily as a case in point.

In posting my observations here, I'm merely seeking fellow modellers' opinions that I'm not barking up the wrong tree before letting Legato (AZ) know that there are some flaws before they commit to production and heaven forbid, the inevitable avalanche of criticism from an overseas source.

Cheers

Roger

August 16th, 2010, 11:40 am #6

The master looks a little square around the fron end. It may just be the photograph of course and the final word should wait until the kit comes out.

David Harvey
Editor
Aussie Modeller International

www.aussiemodeller.com
but like you, reasoned that it could well be the photograph rather than the master itself. For that reason I've held back on other areas that may also be questionable.

Again, folks, don't get me wrong. I'm as pleased as the next man to see Legato (AZ) bring this kit to the market but - and that is the operative word - what has been used by way of references to get the kit to this stage?

Alan Thomas' EZ999 would be readily avialable for anyone worth their salt to run a tape measure over. Combine that with the Smith book, especially the measurements stated from the erection manual and the stations illustrated, and surely you would come close to producing a reasonable facsimile of the real deal, albeit in 1/48 scale. Allied with photographs for verification, one shouldn't go too far astray.

Mind you, the only flat surface(s) I've seen on EZ999 are the inner bomb bay doors. Even the outer doors have curvature as does the fuselage aft of the bomb bay.

I've waited many a moon for this kit to hit the market but am left wondering who and what was consulted before the masters were produced? I'd hate the kit to get mediocre let alone poor reviews for the sake of a little more research and consultation.

Cheers

Roger

August 16th, 2010, 11:52 am #7

Mind you if this was a Has or Tamiya kit they would've got it right.
as I said in my other post, there are other areas besides the cowling issue that warrant closer eaxmination and while I know we're dealing with photographs, I'm interested in others' observations in case I'm off on a tangent.

I'm more than happy to email Legato with constructive ctiticism as I would dearly love to see this kit come as close as possible to the real deal. What I'm doing is airing my personal views here on AMI is to:

1. Share those views with colleagues; and
2. Seek the opinions of fellow modellers on the validity or otherwise of my observations.

If we can get the manufacturer to correct obvious errors/anomalies before production, it becomes a 'win win' situation for Legato and we (dead set keen) modellers of the Vengeance.

Cheers

Roger

August 16th, 2010, 7:16 pm #8

but like you, reasoned that it could well be the photograph rather than the master itself. For that reason I've held back on other areas that may also be questionable.

Again, folks, don't get me wrong. I'm as pleased as the next man to see Legato (AZ) bring this kit to the market but - and that is the operative word - what has been used by way of references to get the kit to this stage?

Alan Thomas' EZ999 would be readily avialable for anyone worth their salt to run a tape measure over. Combine that with the Smith book, especially the measurements stated from the erection manual and the stations illustrated, and surely you would come close to producing a reasonable facsimile of the real deal, albeit in 1/48 scale. Allied with photographs for verification, one shouldn't go too far astray.

Mind you, the only flat surface(s) I've seen on EZ999 are the inner bomb bay doors. Even the outer doors have curvature as does the fuselage aft of the bomb bay.

I've waited many a moon for this kit to hit the market but am left wondering who and what was consulted before the masters were produced? I'd hate the kit to get mediocre let alone poor reviews for the sake of a little more research and consultation.

Cheers

Roger
would not have been easily accessable for a very long time given the issues that have beset the Thomas family in recent years.
Dannielle.

If the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon: Pink Floyd

August 16th, 2010, 8:48 pm #9

looking at the real aircraft, take the position of the exhaust and then look closely at the AZ master - where are the cooling flaps (or whatever the technical term is) above and below the exhaust?

There should be two 'gills' above the exhaust and three below. Yet on the master, what do you see? How can the AZ engraved cooling flaps operate in the current configuration as presented on the masters?

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not having a go at AZ for having the gumption to produce this long awaited 1/48 scale kit but I am left wondering what were used as references to produce the masters that we see.

There are some good references out there including Peter C. Smith's book on the Vengeance as well as any number of good quality images of this much maligned dive bomber. Any of the images that I posted (directly from what's avialable on the Net I might add) clearly show the anomaly with the AZ masters.

Peter's book also gives exact measurements from the erection manual for the Vengeance as well as the various stations from where one can derive any number of calculations to produce a reasonably accurate model.

My only concern here (and yes I know we're dealing with images from AZ and not actually holding the masters) is that basic errors can and should be corrected before the kit hits the market. One only has to look a the flaw with the nose contours of the recently released 1/48 AZ Lily as a case in point.

In posting my observations here, I'm merely seeking fellow modellers' opinions that I'm not barking up the wrong tree before letting Legato (AZ) know that there are some flaws before they commit to production and heaven forbid, the inevitable avalanche of criticism from an overseas source.

Cheers

Roger
Easier to fix any flaws now rather then later.

The seats in the shot have little resemblance to the real ones.
But until we see the final kit we don' know. Even if we point discrepancies out and we are the ones in error at least they might double check their references.

I for one dont want to go out and buy a correction kit.

Peter

August 16th, 2010, 9:28 pm #10

Collective thoughts?

Cheers

Roger
I see what you mean - the proportions are all wrong. This is especially noticeable on the flap that closes over/around the exhaust outlet.

Hopefully they'll correct it, but if not, it would not necessarily be a difficult flaw to fix.