1:25 1st Armoured Regt Centurion WIP

1:25 1st Armoured Regt Centurion WIP

June 8th, 2010, 11:16 am #1

G'day All,

here's a resto I've been plugging away on for a few years now. It's the old Tamiya remote control kit from the 70s that my late Dad bought for me from the Puckapunyal Family Store while he was at the Regt LAD. It spent many a night climbing obstacles on the lounge room floor and had a habit of throwing a track now and then...

I dug it out of long term storage a few years back and decided to do it up in memory of Dad. Of course, this was just before John Myzska's Mousehouse resin parts started coming out. TYPICAL!

I rebuilt the track bins, up-armoured the glacis plate, rebuilt the turret roof to re-align the loader's hatch, made up the ammo rack and scratchbuilt a 100gal fuel tank using a diagram kindly supplied by Ossie Orsbourn from the Missing Lynx forums. I subsequently weakened and bought the Mousehouse 'B' barrel, spare roadwheel and turret basket (will build/add this last). I'll probably use picture hanging wire for the tow ropes. The TAC signs and Bridging Class are painted on with decal numbers to follow along with ARNs and C Squadron markings. I'll probably keep it reasonably unweathered, just a bit of Pucka dust methinks. With luck it'll come up nearly as good as the one in the Header Bar at the top of this forum. Hope you like it so far...

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Cheers,
Rod
Last edited by rcairns on June 11th, 2010, 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 9th, 2010, 1:34 am #2

Can't wait to see it finished.

Ben.

Things that make u go HMMM!

June 9th, 2010, 2:58 am #3

Thanks Ben n/t

Haydn Neal
Haydn Neal

June 10th, 2010, 11:23 pm #4

G'day All,

here's a resto I've been plugging away on for a few years now. It's the old Tamiya remote control kit from the 70s that my late Dad bought for me from the Puckapunyal Family Store while he was at the Regt LAD. It spent many a night climbing obstacles on the lounge room floor and had a habit of throwing a track now and then...

I dug it out of long term storage a few years back and decided to do it up in memory of Dad. Of course, this was just before John Myzska's Mousehouse resin parts started coming out. TYPICAL!

I rebuilt the track bins, up-armoured the glacis plate, rebuilt the turret roof to re-align the loader's hatch, made up the ammo rack and scratchbuilt a 100gal fuel tank using a diagram kindly supplied by Ossie Orsbourn from the Missing Lynx forums. I subsequently weakened and bought the Mousehouse 'B' barrel, spare roadwheel and turret basket (will build/add this last). I'll probably use picture hanging wire for the tow ropes. The TAC signs and Bridging Class are painted on with decal numbers to follow along with ARNs and C Squadron markings. I'll probably keep it reasonably unweathered, just a bit of Pucka dust methinks. With luck it'll come up nearly as good as the one in the Header Bar at the top of this forum. Hope you like it so far...

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Cheers,
Rod
Final scheme for the Cents

June 11th, 2010, 12:15 am #5

Regards

Andrew Doppel
Assistant Moderator AMI

June 11th, 2010, 1:13 am #6

Final scheme for the Cents
...and ditto from me - a great subject beautiful handled.... n/t

June 11th, 2010, 1:47 am #7

G'day All,

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Cheers,
Rod
Thanks for the encouragement guys,

still trying to come up with an accurate ARN, name and callsign. Pics of the camo tanks are pretty scarce, plenty of SVN OD stuff around though. Paul Handels's ANZAC Steel site is useful, but I'm yet to find much more on the web. I might just go with a generic C SQN 'pool' vehicle and pluck an ARN...

Rod

June 11th, 2010, 9:03 am #8

Not too much today,

just a little progress on the markings, return rollers and track weathering...

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Cheers,
Rod

p.s. Any (ex)RAAF maintainers out there recognise the dark brown thing standing in the background?

Andrew Doppel (A2)
Andrew Doppel (A2)

June 11th, 2010, 9:55 am #9

Regards

Andrew