Death of the Messageboard

February 10th, 2017, 3:47 pm #1

This in the New Statesman was quite a good read talking about how twitter and the like is killing off the internet messageboard.

This made me think of our boards, in amongst the crazy shoutings of EFF and Mad:
wrote:Yet it is precisely what makes message boards so unviable financially that makes them such a great user experience (regardless of the trolls). Both anonymity and the way forums are structured (from oldest to newest posts) create an egalitarian space. Although the hugely successful social network Reddit is arguably a message board, its system of “Upvotes” and “Downvotes” mean certain comments are given precedence. Yes, it could be frustrating when forums became a mess of cyclical arguments and irrelevant ramblings due to their structure, but there was always the sense that everyone had their chance to be seen and heard.
It’s different now that I’m poor and ageing.

February 10th, 2017, 3:54 pm #2

Was going to post the same link. Thanks for saving me the effort.

Hitler!

February 10th, 2017, 4:36 pm #3

vvhatsthatonyourback wrote:Was going to post the same link. Thanks for saving me the effort.

Hitler!
Nearly Hitler anyway.
There's more to see in the c*nt of a flea than in the darkness of your soul

April 27th, 2018, 3:29 pm #4

Hey, we might not be completely dead yet? :think:

http://www.wsc.co.uk/features/14098-ope ... to-open-up
Best Newcomer 2011 - "the f*cker's like a limpit"

April 30th, 2018, 10:45 pm #5

Twitter and Facebook do seem to be having a tough time, although still with plenty of users, if they can stand the noise.

Not sure that'll see a huge revival in messageboards, but they do have their appeal.

Although give me a few weeks and I'll add some bots and sell all your data to the highest bidder...
Old enough to know what's right
Young enough not to choose it