Women in the Bible

Striving4Truth
Striving4Truth

1:41 PM - Dec 16, 2002 #1

Well Ladies.. how should we begin with this forum? I thought it might be neat to start with a little history about some prominent women in the Bible. Please feel free to add anything. Maybe we could talk about some women who fit the profile of the following headings.
1. Matriarchs--Women chosen to be the wives of the Patriarchs (ie. Sarah, Rebekah, Rachel, Leah)
2. Prophetesses --(Sarah, Miriam, Deborah, Hannah, Abigail, Huldah, Esther)
3. Rulers --Deborah the Judge & Prophetess, Jezebel the wife of King Ahab
4. Wives and Mothers--Ruth & Naomi, Hannah, Mary, etc.
I would appraciate any insight that you have towards the background etc. for these women in the Bible.
I think it would be interesting to conduct this study to learn more about some of these women.
S4T

Belle
Frequent User
Belle
Frequent User

9:39 PM - Dec 16, 2002 #2

Striving,
I just recently read the book of Ruth.........I was so impressed with her. It was so obvious that her demeanor was that of a lady and Boaz even said that everyone in the whole village new her, that she was a virtuous women. I suppose they could see that because of her devotion to Naomi.............if you or others have any insight on this I would love to hear it!!! I think that being a lady and being feminine are things that God wants for us, but this is one thing that I lack...I have never been lady-like (don't know if I ever will be ). I would like to hear what anyone has to say about Ruth and other women of the Bible!!!
In Christ
Belle

12:02 AM - Dec 17, 2002 #3

Belle,
I agree, the story of Ruth is very moving. Her story is the account of a woman who chose to follow the Lord and found Him compassionate and faithful, full of grace and love. It made me think how God is involved in the seemingly small events of a person's life. Ruth shows us that following God has its difficulties and times of faith when there is little sight to go along with it. Her greatest reward was that she would be in line of the Messiah. She was the great-grandmother of King David and one of only four women mentioned in the genealogy of Jesus---Tamar, Rahab, Ruth and Bathsheba. (that could be a discussion all of its own!). It is interesting to me that Boaz recognized and mentioned Ruth's reputation as "a woman of excellence", the same word used to describe the virtuous wife of Prov. 31:10!
Could we be called a woman of excellence?? Pretty humbling here.
Blessings!

Godsflower
Godsflower

7:16 PM - Dec 17, 2002 #4

I think that one of the woman that I think about the most is Rahab. She must have had a very hard life being a prostitute, yet God was able to work in her life. She was able to put her trust in him and also in the men that came to her city, it was probably not easy for her to trust men because of her line of buisness. She had a strong faith and is one of only two women listed in the Hall of Faith. She was willing to be used as a vessel of God to save her and her family at a strong risk to herself.
" By faith the harlot Rahab perished not with them that believed not, when she had recieved the spies with peace" (Hebrews 11:31)
What a faith to strive for!!!!!!!! With Love, Flower

kate
kate

2:19 PM - Dec 19, 2002 #5

In one of my devotions lately, I read the account of Abraham's servant finding Rebekah (Genesis 24). I was really inspired by her behavior. She served so readily. Throughout the account she is described as "hasting" to do things for the servant and his camels. She quickly went about giving a dusty old man and his camels water to drink. He didn't even ask her to give the camels water, but she did it anyway, and not just a little, or the least she could have gotten by with, but until they had finished drinking. He then asked her if her family had room for him and his camels to stay and she willingly offered a stranger a place to stay in her own home.
Another thing that I found moving was that she was so willing to go with the servant after he had asked for her to be Isaac's wife. Her family wanted her to stay a while longer, which is understandable because they knew that they probably weren't going to see her for a long time if ever again, but when asked if she would go with him she simply said "I will go". She was leaving her family and going off to be some stranger's wife, yet she knew that it was God's will, and so she went right away.
Her willingness to serve and to do God's will so readily reminds me of the attitude that I should strive for. I hope these thoughts made sense and were edifying to someone. I hope to hear more from others about the different women and what we can learn from them.
God bless,
Kate

Belle
Frequent User
Belle
Frequent User

3:40 PM - Dec 20, 2002 #6

Thank you for your post kate....
Those women with those servant attitudes that we read about in the Bible are so inspiring and it is so convicting. (Especially in my family with three brothers and me being the only girl at home) I constantly have to fight the urge to tell my brothers to do things themselves and so on....I am always impressed with the humble servant attitudes of those women. They never seem to be loud or obnoxious or "women libbers"....they have servant attitudes like the attitude that Christ shows us and tells us to have.
Belle