The Christian Thief

6:28 PM - Dec 09, 2000 #1

Someone claiming to be a Christian decided, while I was paying for dinner at a restaurant last night, acted to whisk my bankcard away and I called foul and thief. Another person said I was wrong but the person gloated about taking the card away.
That's not acting right. To be a Christian does not mean you can steal another's card as that person is paying for their dinner. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's property, and in this case, he did it. Acting like you're stealing it and taking it away (even if returning it) shows you are willing to covet the neighbour's property and you are willing to steal. That's not Biblical acting. Stealing pranks are so unethical and violate God's Word. Christians are to act and be Christlike all the time -- no stealing, bleeping, et al. And that includes not taking someone else's credit card for a joke. I warned the guy and the guy still gloated over it. He wanted a reaction, but that's not ethical. You get essentially a buzzing sound for stealing. Stealing is a crime, and I am zero-tolerance on the issue. You steal, you are caught. You steal, you will be given a few sounds. If no buzzer comes out of someone stealing, you are telling the guy it's OK. It's not.

9:29 PM - Dec 09, 2000 #2

Bobby, I think you might be overreacting. Are you sure the guy was STEALING and COVETING? Or was he just being ignorant and immature? I'd like to add "jerk" but that's probably not polite!

Aaron
Frequent User
Aaron
Frequent User

9:38 PM - Dec 09, 2000 #3

It is true that many people don't like to have things taken from them, even if it is just a joke. So it's easy to get uptight about it, especially if you're not the type of person who likes to joke around too much. But don't forget that Jesus told us not to resist when people try to take things from us:
"But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also. And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain. Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away." Matthew 5:39-42, KJV.
As Christians, we shouldn't be holding on to our personal possessions (they belong to God anyway) so tightly that we get all upset when somebody tries to take them away. God will provide for us according to His will.

4:49 PM - Dec 29, 2000 #4

Hi Bobby....
Just thought I'd let you know..... I'm with you.
When I read your question I was reminded of a passage of scripture that says "let your yes be yes and your nay be nay" (paraphrased)..... I know most folks would interpret this as to not "swearing".... I usually do, too, but with Prov. 26:18-19 along side:.... "As a mad man who casteth firebrands, arrows, and death, So is the man that deceiveth his neighbour and saith, Am not I in sport?"..... How many of us are guilty of that one? (In my young son's Bible it is written..."Suppose a crazy person shoots flaming arrows that can kill. A man who lies to his neighbor and says,'I was only joking!' is just like that person." Pretty plain there!
Don't get me wrong, I like to have good clean fun as well as anyone, but the reputation of Christians has been marred for too long by our own carelessness and lack of sincerity in serving the Lord! Either way you look at it the behaior was out of line with the Word of God and that is disobedience and rebellion. How can we be a light for the lost when we act no differently than they who live in darkness? ....Help us Jesus!