Barna Poll results from 9/11 Attacks

1:47 AM - Sep 17, 2002 #1

According to a new Barna Research poll, the terrorist attacks on America a year ago produced no lasting spiritual change. By comparing polls taken before the attacks and those taken one year later, Barna discovered that there has been no change in Bible reading, church attendance, adult Sunday School attendance, or prayer. George Barna observed, "The fact that we saw no lasting impact from the most significant act of war against our country on our own soil says something about the spiritual complacency of the American public." He also rightly observed: "None of the agents of influence seemed bent on seizing the attacks as a teaching moment or as a time to ignite deeper self-examination among Americans. For the most part, our response to the attacks has been to restore continuity and comfort as quickly as possible, without much energy devoted to moral, spiritual or emotional growth." Instead of using the tragic events of last September to warn people of eternal hell and call them to repentance from their wicked ways, most of America's preachers have spoken smooth things. They have played the politician rather than the prophet. The hue and cry has been, "We are good; we are brave; we are heroes; we are overcomers," instead of "we are a wicked people; we have broken God's holy laws; we have rejected the living water and hewn out broken cisterns; our morality is filthy rags; our churches are compromised and apostate." The most recent Barna poll found that only 14% of Americans even claim to base their moral choices on the Bible, and some 60% do not believe Jesus Christ was sinless.
www.barna.org/cgi-bin/Pag...eference=B

Aaron
Frequent User
Aaron
Frequent User

12:11 PM - Sep 17, 2002 #2

I don't find that surprizing. Just from watching documentaries on TV, it is apparent that most priests, rabbis, and other religious leaders are just as lost as the average american.
There are some things that surveys can't determine... for instance, what did God WANT to happen through the situation. How can we measure that and say it was a failure? If it didn't happen, perhaps we would have gone much more down-hill as a society in this past year. I think it is silly for them to say that 9/11 had no impact on society. I think 9/11 didn't dramatically impact the real Christians because it didn't shatter our world-view. We already know why God allows these things to happen. It didn't have much spiritual impact on non-Christians because they do not know God, so if anything, it just changes their false impression of who God is. I think it affected all Christians to varying degrees. Those who were directly affected, I am sure, view their mission in life a little more urgently. You can't measure that by a survey.

11:46 PM - Sep 17, 2002 #3

Aaron -
I think you might be talking, for one, about the recent PBS Frontline program on Faith and 9/11. While I would agree with your observations on the survey, I wouldnt use most when describing priests, rabbis, and other religious leaders [that] are just as lost as the average american. I dont know about you, but I only know a few priests, rabbis, ministers, etc, personally , - havent met most. See for one example Mark 12:28-34 , - Jesus didnt end with but youre still lost, He said you are not far even though the guy was not a full fledged Christian, we might say.
We might also look at LK 10:25 37, and note that its interesting that Jesus didnt even say to the lawyer believe in me, - he even accepted the lawyers presentation of the 10 commandments by stating them in principal "You have answered right; do this, and you will live." ( love of God and love of neighbor ).
In addition, he told him what he should do to live, and what that should look like on a practical level " And Jesus said to him, "Go and do likewise." ( Note also that Jesus identified the good guy in this passage as a Samaritan, - someone the Jews in general hated. They were not in agreement theologically, or socially we might say).
I sometimes catch myself generalizing too, - I hope you dont mind my observations, as I welcome yours. Keep up the good work in your ministry on the board here.
Thanks.

8:58 PM - Sep 19, 2002 #4

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm tired of being consoled about things that haven't affected my life in the least, especially from the pulpit. I'm hungry for meat but for the past year I've been getting far too much of the milk about how I don't have to fear those who can kill the body, yadda yadda yadda.
My life is so incredibly small right now. I'm more concerned about things like:
* What is the best way to edify a congregation where there are no regular attendees within 10 years of my age?
* What is wrong with my lifestyle that people I know aren't begging me to bring them to church?
* Why does everyone keep asking me if I'm going to camp next year? (Ha ha, only serious.)

Aaron
Frequent User
Aaron
Frequent User

12:13 AM - Sep 24, 2002 #5

I don't know why people aren't begging you to "bring them to church". I know the Bible says that people come to Christ because they hear the gospel. Maybe you are not telling them the gospel... or maybe a watered down version of the gospel. Like "if you ask Jesus in your heart you will find true happiness". Maybe they don't come because they do not realize their desperate need for salvation. If they were truly convinced of their sinful state and that their destination is eternal hell... (and that God doesn't want them to go there) they'd probably be begging you for the answers.

Aaron
Frequent User
Aaron
Frequent User

12:15 AM - Sep 24, 2002 #6

p.s. along those lines, you should listen to a message called "hell's best kept secret" by Ray Comfort. www.raycomfort.com