Moderators: JosieG, Melissa, flea dip

Music Thread - trends, business related news, etc

Melissa
Ultimate Madonna Hater

7:02 PM - Jun 06, 2005 #1

Everybody has their favourites in music. So, I'll tell you all about mine and you can tell me about yours.

While I listen to all types of music, there are some things about these artists I'm about to mention that just stand out among the crowd and appeal to me as a music lover. First up, I want to mention the two female soloists I admire:

Celine Dion -- Ok, I might get some eye rolls for this, but in my opinion she is a strong vocalist with a great range (as if it wasn't apparent that I'm a fan by my avatar :P). Even if you don't like her, you have to admit she has one of the most distinctive and recognizable voices in the world today. That being said, I'm not a fan of the watered down dance-pop she's doing now (such as "I Drove All Night" and "You And I"), but I am rather partial to her Falling Into You album. That album includes the 7-minute rock epic "It's All Coming Back To Me Now", and was probably what spawned my interest in female-fronted rock bands. Her French music is also superior to the majority of her English recordings, as one can sense that little "something extra" she has when she sings in her native tongue, along with sensitivity and restraint. Some wonderful French songs she's recorded include "Le Vol D'un Ange", "Pour Que Tu M'aimes Encore", "L'Abandon" and "Des Mots Qui Sonnent". The majority of her English songs leave something to be desired, but some of her better ones include "If You Asked Me To", "Love Can Move Mountains", "Refuse To Dance" and "Where Does My Heart Beat Now". Yes, I dislike "My Heart Will Go On" as well due to it having been so overplayed, but that isn't all there is to her music. So, as the saying goes, don't knock it before you've tried it.

Loreena McKennitt -- A Celtic singer with a heavenly voice and a skilled pianist, she's a great stress reliever to listen to and most particularly when one has had enough of over-processed computerized pop. Her tracks are far more oraganic in nature and are usually garnished with acoustic guitar, mandolin and other string instruments. The radio remix of her song "The Mummer's Dance" was incredibly popular on the pop charts in 1997, but on her Book Of Secrets album, the song is far smoother and low-key. Other great tracks from that album are "Dante's Prayer" (which includes vocals from a Russian choir), "The Highwayman" (an adaptation the poem by Alfred Noyes) and "Night Ride Across The Caucasus". Her first album since she went on hiatus in 2000 (which was due to her grief over her fiance's death) will not be released until September 2006.

Next, there's the bands I adore:

Enigma -- The band that started the chilled-ethereal-techno-with-pop-vocals-and-chanting craze, their most popular songs are "Sadeness" and "Return To Innocence" here in the US. But they also have some incredible tracks that either didn't do so well in the Billboard charts (such as "Mea Culpa", "Silence Must Be Heard", "The Rivers Of Belief" and "Gravity Of Love") or were never even released as singles (such as "I Love You, I'll Kill You", "Knocking On Forbidden Doors", "The Roundabout" and "Light Of Your Smile"). Their greatest hits collection (titled Love Sensuality Devotion and released in 2001) is their best offering thus far and features one of my favourite tracks, the Midnight Man remix of "TNT For The Brain". I'd recommend trying to get a hold of the seven-minute Gotterdammerung (Twilight of the Gods) remix of "The Eyes Of Truth" (it's featured on the first Matrix movie's soundtrack) and their 2004 single "Voyageur" in addition to their GH album.

Evanescence -- Although most people only heard of them once they released "Bring Me To Life" in 2003 through Wind-Up/Sony Music, they've actually been around since 1996. Before their cameo on the Daredevil soundtrack shot them to the top of the charts, they were releasing EPs of their music underground, and actually have more than 50 songs to their name. They originated as a goth rock band, and leaned more into the metal genre once they were signed to a major label. Their lead vocalist, Amy Lee, has a stunning voice full of passion and grit. Some of their best recordings are from their 2000 indie release Origin. By all means, download the songs from Origin if you're interested. Amy doesn't approve of the fakes going for hundreds of dollars on eBay, and even said she'd rather her fans download the band's pre-signing songs than get ripped off.

Within Temptation -- A gothic metal band from the Netherlands fronted by a gifted vocalist named Sharon Den Adel. They've been around since 1998, and started out with a male "death growler" in their ranks, but dropped him before they recorded their second full-length album Mother Earth (which later became a hit in Europe). They released a new album called The Silent Force last year, and have seen considerable success with the new singles "Stand My Ground" and "Memories". A lot of comparisons are made between WT and Evanescence because they're both rock-metal bands with raven-haired female vocalists and orchestral and choir flourishes but, while they are indeed similar in some ways, there's really no comparison in the sound of Sharon and Amy's voices and the style of the music backing them. They're both great bands, plain and simple.

Lacuna Coil -- Yet another female fronted goth-rock band I enjoy, but this one is from Italy. The lead singer is Cristina Scabbia and she usually trades vocals on LC's tracks with a male vocalist. As a third generation Italian, I can't help but get drawn into their Italian-language song "Senzafine" and the instrumental "Un Fantasma Tra Noi". They've recorded more English tracks than Italian ones, however, which are also excellent. "Heaven's A Lie" and "Swamped" are wonderful rock tunes, and "The Ghost Woman And The Hunter" is a heartwrenching ballad. The only thing I dislike is the lower quality of the mixing in their tracks, which has Cristina's voice sometimes deluged by the instrumentation rather than at the forefront, as it should be. I eventually intend to aquire a copy of their Comalies album, however. And yes, comparisons are also made between Lacuna Coil and Evanescence as well, even though they're absolutely nothing alike.

Queen -- An old favourite for both myself and my mother. The impact this band had on rock music goes without saying, and their music continues to be popular. Who didn't laugh at Wayne and Garth's rendition of "Bohemian Rhapsody" in the Wayne's World movie, and who can't help but grin at how fitting "Princes Of The Universe" is as the Highlander television series' theme song? Freddie Mercury remains an incredibly talented and unique vocalist, and we will never see his like again.

Tenacious D -- A two-person band made up of the comic duo of Jack Black and Kyle Gass. While Jack Black has now found stardom in Hollywood as an actor (Shallow Hal, Orange County or School Of Rock anyone?) he's also quite the decent vocalist. Kyle Gass is a gifted guitarist as well, and the songs Jack and kyle perform are hilarious and filled to the brim with offbeat (although sometimes obscene) jokes about the things that make single guys tick: beer, food, women, sex and crowing about their own greatness. This, of course, makes them a perfect parody of those old pompous rock bands who got hung up on their own success during the 70s.

And, because my list of favourite music wouldn't be complete without them, there's the soundtracks I'm addicted to:

Titanic -- The movie was insipid, but the soundtrack (both volumes!) is choice classical music. Look beyond the overplayed radio hit theme song "My Heart Will Go On", and you'll find enjoyable pieces such as "Alexander's Ragtime Band", "Southampton", "A Building Panic", "Nearer My God To Thee" (the song the real band played as the ship went down), and "Come, Josephine, In My Flying Machine" (a song that was popular the year before the RMS Titanic made its fateful maiden voyage). It's good to chill to, but a little creepy at the same time.

Queen Of The Damned -- Another soundtrack where the movie wasn't all that great, but the music is superior. I hated how Warner Bros. Pictures f***ed up Anne Rice's "The Vampire Lestat" and "Queen Of The Damned" novels into an incoherent paean to MTV and pop culture. But the kickin' hard rock riffs on the soundtrack (with offerings by the likes of Static X's Wayne Static, Disturbed's David Draiman, Orgy's Jay Gordon and Linkin Park's Chester Bennington) is almost enough to make me forgive the suits at the WB tower. Almost.

Chicago -- Finally, a great soundtrack to a great movie/musical. Originally a Broadway musical (and before that, a play), the movie coyly pokes fun at fame and gives a rather tongue-in-cheek look at power, greed and corruption. Most of the characters are absolute jerks, but you can't help being awed by the spectacle. The songs are infectious too. Who at some point hasn't found themselves humming the tune to or quoting a lyric from "All That Jazz" or "Razzle Dazzle" after watching the movie? Catherine Zeta-Jones (one of my favourite actresses) and Renee Zellweger are surprisingly talented vocalists. Richard Gere's voice, while not fantastic, is passable enough and conveys enough "oomph" to make you believe he really is bigshot lawyer Billy Flynn. And the man can tapdance, to boot!

Forever Knight -- The soundtrack to my favourite television show ever, this is a slice of early-90s Goth heaven. There are some truly great songs on the two volumes that unfortunately aren't very well known; such as "Heart Of Darkness", "Break The Silence", "Touch The Night" and "Dark Side Of The Glass". Canadian pop-rock singers Lori Yates and Molly Johnson provided vocals, and producer Stan Meissner wrote the lyrics and offered guitar riffs. On the instrumental tracks, Fred Mollin (one of the most critically lauded television soundtrack composers of all time) played all the instruments. This soundtrack is clearly Fred's baby, but it would still be wonderful to hear updated versions of these songs in a modern-day hard rock style.

So, now that you know what I like, how about you? Who's your favourites?

MelissaTreglia.com - My creative corner, featuring my original works, fan fiction, digital art & music.

The 1 Not Fooled
Ultimate Madonna Hater
The 1 Not Fooled
Ultimate Madonna Hater

10:53 PM - Jun 06, 2005 #2

I'm an eighties chick, especially fond of British techno-pop groups. Style-wise, Cyndi Lauper and Boy George were huge influences on me. Dorky, I suppose, but I consider them to be some of the more recent true individuals (unlike Madonna who was always copying something she saw somewhere, however obscure it may have been at the time).

"Invariably cast as an irresistible femme fatale, yet cannot do sexy..."
- critics on Madonna's acting (Blender Magazine)

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

My Own Personal Disclaimer: Not responsible for views that are misconstrued and/or misrepresented in my absence.

flea dip
Ultimate Madonna Hater
flea dip
Ultimate Madonna Hater

12:02 AM - Jun 07, 2005 #3

I have that Loreena McKennitt CD. I also bought the single of The Mummers' Dance, because the CD version was a little different from the radio edit.

I don't really have any favorites anymore. Since the 1990s onwards, I've been disinterested in most music. I tend to like singles rather than a specific band or singer.

When I was a teen ager, I loved "Heart," "ABC," "A-ha" and "The Thompson Twins," then in my later teen years I loved "Siouxsie and the Banshees" and "The Dead Milkmen."

Into the 1990s, my faves were Roy Orbison, The Mavericks, and Dwight Yoakam.

I've always liked Johnny Horton, Patsy Cline, Hank Williams Sr., and Johnny Cash.

I remain a big fan of most 1980s pop music.

A lot of the singers and bands I listed above? I still like them and from time to time listen to their stuff, I'm just not as devoted a fan as I once was. Roy Orbison's music pulled me through some tough times. I totally related to that man's lyrics, particuarly to his fondness for dreams and day dreams.

Trivia:
Unless someone performed it before he did, Roy Orbison originally perfomed the song I Drove All Night, then Cyndi Lauper did a remake of it sometime - maybe in the mid 1990s? I remember thinking it was weird because I already had Orbison's version of it. Then some time later, Celine Dion did a cover of it.

The Dion song from the ship movie didn't bother me too much - it was just that back when I used to listen to the radio (and I listened A LOT, at least to adult contemporary stations in the 1990s), I was so completely sick of it. If the stations had not over played it, it wouldn't have been so bad. It was just absolute over-kill with that song.

I felt like screaming,
"Okay, the ship sank, get over it, get some therapy!" :laugh:

Oooh yeah, when I finally rented Titanic (I missed it at the theaters), I told the kid at the counter when I returned the rental, "I watched this movie twice. The ship sank the second time, too." He looked at me like I was an idiot. He totally did not get that I was acting stupid on purpose. :laugh:

yahwehsown
True Blue Newbie
yahwehsown
True Blue Newbie

12:43 AM - Jun 07, 2005 #4

I love Mariah even though she made some poor choices. However she is rebounding quite nicely with her latest. I also go crazy over Marvin Gaye and Bob Marley. I think that John Mayer is a quality act and I adore Ottmar Liebert's music.

planet_rock
True Blue Newbie
planet_rock
True Blue Newbie

2:05 PM - Jun 07, 2005 #5

At least once a week I have to get my punk rock fix with the Ramones and the Pixies. :band: Then I want to be calmed down and soothed with the melodic genius of Stevie Wonder.

On a rainy day, I start loving the sublime depression of the Smiths.

And when I'm happy, it's the Jackson Five! T-Rex! And some dance music by Amber, Technotronic, Donna Summer and Moby!

I love music. Always have since I was a little squirt.

I admire Mariah for her fabulous voice, wish she knew that she doesn't have to dress up all hoochie-mama, because she has talent! I'm prolly gonna get her new album.

Celine's music is not my style but no one can deny her powerful vocal pipes.

I love 80's new wave!

And I'm partial to Hank Williams' yodel-y way of singing a tortured love song.

The 1 Not Fooled
Ultimate Madonna Hater
The 1 Not Fooled
Ultimate Madonna Hater

1:11 AM - Jun 08, 2005 #6

wrote:I admire Mariah for her fabulous voice, wish she knew that she doesn't have to dress up all hoochie-mama, because she has talent!
This is a good point. She doesn't have to be cheesy, so it's sad when she acts that way.

"Invariably cast as an irresistible femme fatale, yet cannot do sexy..."
- critics on Madonna's acting (Blender Magazine)

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

My Own Personal Disclaimer: Not responsible for views that are misconstrued and/or misrepresented in my absence.

mirrorimage
Shanghi-ed Away
mirrorimage
Shanghi-ed Away

3:25 PM - Jun 08, 2005 #7

I absolutely love and admire Coldplay & The Beatles as a group or as John Lennon or Paul. I love colplay's latest album X&Y. I just love their style so much. I'm a big admirer of Annie Lennox's voice though I like her older stuff better and some club remixes of her latest songs.

Gwen Stefani has always been a guilty pleasure of mine. She has a fun style.

Alot of people don't like Mariah but I guess I do like her now looking through my cd collection. I have almost all her albums without even knowing it. I think she has a gifted voice.

I like Old Celine Dion.

Kelly Clarkson

Some Depeche, Trent R., Chris Cornell, Pink Flloyd, Queen.

Most of the time I'm listening to a shuffle of dance or electronica.

I prefer having oldies from the 60s 70s and 80s, having a specific fav singer from those times is hard cause I just love the music from those times. It had life and I'm guessing 99% was original.

This list can go on if I actually sat down and thought thoroughly.

Mihoshi Marie
Ultimate Madonna Hater

9:03 PM - Jun 08, 2005 #8

Just a very brief list; I will edit it when I get home (at work, need to stop posting during work hours):

Garbage
Ladytron
Goldfrapp
Rammstein
Depeche Mode
Lacuna Coil
Within Temptation
Nightwish
Killswitch Engage
Evanescence

That's just bands. Hehe.

flyingpenguin
Shanghi-ed Away
flyingpenguin
Shanghi-ed Away

3:48 AM - Jun 09, 2005 #9

Hmmm, let's see.

Depeche Mode
Evanescence
Lacuna Coil
Nightwish
Within Temptation
Alice in Chains
Duran Duran
Taproot
Linkin Park
Seether
Fuel
Blue October

Isn't it funny - you hear a phone ringing and it could be anybody. But a ringing phone has to be answered, doesn't it? - The Caller

MissThang
Ray Of Fright
MissThang
Ray Of Fright

5:47 AM - Jun 17, 2005 #10

My faves -

ABBA
The Smiths/Morrissey (older material)
New Order
Dusty Springfield
Kirsty MacColl
Kylie Minogue
Pulp/Relaxed Muscle
The Stone Roses
Happy Mondays...
and much more.
You don't look impossibly young and glamorous in your pink leotard. You look like Cilla Black at the Royal Variety Performance.

For the love of God just retire.

- About Madonna
Taken from Holy Moly's C**ts Corner