Moderators: JosieG, Melissa, flea dip

Madonna Uses France's Terrorist Attack to Promote Album

flea dip
Ultimate Madonna Hater
flea dip
Ultimate Madonna Hater

January 9th, 2015, 7:27 pm #1

This story could fit in one of several threads on our board - the Islam thread, the Desperate thread, the Ego Thread, but this is so tacky, so self-absorbed, I believe this deserves its own thread.
---------------------
If you are someone who feels very strongly about the topic of terrorism or Islam, and you want to argue that Islam is not behind the attacks on the French paper Hebdo, I ask that you please take those comments to one of our Islam threads in our "Outlook" forum.

If you are a Madonna fan and wish to argue along those lines, you will have to register for this board and keep all your posts limited to the "Cranky Fans Forum," where you may start a thread about terrorism/Islam there. Thank you.

For my purposes, I am assuming that radical Islam is in fact behind the attacks in France.
---------------------------------------
This is a dirt bag move, even for her.
(I used the phrase dirt bag BEFORE seeing that the writer of Jezebel also used the same phrase to describe her on this story! Interesting.)

If she is truly concerned for the victims, why not just say condolences with the "Je Suis Charlie" hash tag and nothing else?

Why mention the hash tag that she has been using to promote her album? What next, is she going to take the photos of the murdered cartoonists and photoshop black rope across their faces, as with MLK?

Madonna Uses French Hostage Crisis to Promote Her New Album
  • Madeleine Davies
    Filed to: DIRT BAG
    MADONNA

It's been two days since 12 people were murdered during an attack on the Charlie Hedbo office in Paris and a hostage standoff with the two alleged shooters currently dominates international headlines. So what better time for Madonna to show solidarity with the victims and promote her new album?

"These are very scary times we are living in. Ignorance breeds Intolerance and fear. We can only fight darkness with light! We are all Charlie," she captioned a "Je Suis Charlie" graphic, then hashtagging it with her album title, "#rebelheart."

[snip several Madonna social media posts]

It's fine for Madonna to promote her album. It is fine for her to show her support for the people of Paris following such awful tragedy. But in the future, she might want to keep those as separate things.
Madonna Comments on 'Charlie Hebdo', But Peppers Her Message with Self-Promotion
  • by MAITRI MEHTA

In the wake of the horrific, fatal attacks on the Charlie Hebdo offices in Paris, many American celebrities, especially comedians, have shown their support for the fallen journalists and police officers killed on Wednesday. On Wednesday night, Madonna commented on Charlie Hebdo by offering her support on Instagram, but with a strange, undermining addendum: she posted the wide-spread image that says “Je Suis Charlie,” but for some reason tagged the photo #rebelheart after the name of her new album.

.. If we want to be generous and give Madge the benefit of the doubt here, it’s possible her intentions were good. She’s been wildly promoting her music, regramming a photoshopped picture Miley Cyrus posted with her face on the cover of the new album, Rebel Heart. She’s going for a theme of love and acceptance and tolerance. But even this is a thin argument, and it’s hard to not see this as Madonna exploiting a tragedy to promote her own album.

The singer posted another photo right after of protestors in Paris with “Je Suis Charlie” signs, and also tagged it #rebelheart. It’s uncomfortable, inappropriate, and all around weird. Madonna has been aggressive in the promotion for her new album, but I am surprised that she didn’t realize — or no one advised her — that in the wake of such a senseless attack, self-promotion is definitely prohibited.

Like I said before, I assume her intentions were good. But, if I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a million times: intent doesn’t matter or count for much when you are an offending party. The wake of a tragedy is no time for self-promotion.
Madonna accused of using Paris terrorist attack to promote her album Rebel Heart
    [
  • By SHYAM DODGE FOR MAILONLINE
    PUBLISHED: 12:09 EST, 9 January 2015

Madonna is being accused by many online commentators of using the recent terrorist attack in Paris to promote her album Rebel Heart.

The 56-year-old posted a series of photos to her Instagram to offer support after 12 people were killed in the gun attack on French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo's Paris offices.

But as Madonna offered encouraging words in the captions for her social media images, she also provided some hashtags which were in promotion of her new album.

The controversy comes on the heels of the pop icon likening the recent leak of her album to a 'form of terrorism' - her comments coming just after the world was left in shock following the Sydney Siege.

Madonna posted a viral image 'Je suis Charlie' (I am Charlie) with the caption: 'These are very scary times we are living in. Ignorance breeds Intolerance and fear. We can only fight darkness with light! We are all Charlie! #revolutionoflove [heart] #rebelhearts.'

Revolution Of Love is a track off her album Rebel Hearts, both of which she used as hashtags at the end of her post.

[snip screen caps of Madonna's social media post mentioning the attack]

Another image on her Instagram is of Parisians taking to the streets in solidarity following the Paris attack.

She captioned the photo: 'We must respect all religions!' she wrote. 'we must also RESPECT human life!! Killing in the name of G*D is man's idea not G*D's!!!!#livingforlove #rebelheart'.

Many celebrity blogs and online fans have found the posts to be in poor taste, including Bustle's Maitri Mehta, who wrote: 'Madonna has been aggressive in the promotion for her new album, but I am surprised that she didn’t realize — or no one advised her — that in the wake of such a senseless attack, self-promotion is definitely prohibited.'

...The Queen of Pop's cover for the album Rebel Heart is a close-up of her face with black string on it, which has been the subject of countless Internet memes, with other iconic artists Photoshopped into the same template.

She added: 'This is niether a crime or an insult or racist! I also did it with Michael jaclson and frida khalo and marilyn monroe (sic).'book
Edit.
New/more Links:

Madonna Is Now Using Charlie Hebdo Terror Attack to Promote Her Album
  • by Hannah Ongley
    Thursday, January 8th 2015 at 1:25 pm

Has anyone started a petition to get Madonna off Instagram yet? Only a week after the Queen of Pop showed how painfully out of touch she was with a series of Instagram posts depicting black leaders in bondage to promote her upcoming album, she’s now using yesterday’s devastating terror attacks on French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo to get that #rebelheart hashtag some traction.

Charlie Hebdo is on everyone’s lips today as the world attempts to deal not just with the loss of human life but the toll it has on freedom of speech. However Madge barely wasted 24 hours before reposting the emotive images along with her promotional hashtag. We love Madonna, but girl needs to stick to the studio. This mess of an Instagram account is causing her klout score more harm than good.

Then again, maybe we shouldn’t be surprised. She’s likened social media to terrorism before, so, like white people dropping the N-bomb, it’s not a topic she feels shy about.

It appears Madge has now moved onto Elvis. Unfortunately, a slick quiff can’t solve the implications of yesterday’s tragedy.
Madonna Accused Of Exploiting Charlie Hebdo Tragedy To Promote Rebel Heart

Madonna's Instagram causes controversy (again)
  • by Luke Burke
    Jan 9, 2015

Madonna is accused of promoting her album in wake of the Charlie Hedbo tragedy in Paris
    This isn't the first time Madonna has been accused of inappropriately using hashtags on Instagram
Madonna uses Charlie Hebdo terror attack to plug new album

Excerpts:
  • by DAN ZINSKI
    You make a good point Madonna. Intolerance is terrible and by the way you have a new album out that we should buy. Murder is awful and go buy Madonna’s album. What happened yesterday in France was a horrific tragedy and Madonna wants you to spend money to purchase her music.

Thank you for putting it all in perspective for us, Madonna. For a second there we all forgot what truly matters in this world. But now we remember. It’s all about Madonna’s album sales. Those people died so Madonna could push product. It all makes sense now. THANK GOODNESS THEY DIDN’T DIE FOR NOTHING!!! Please people, buy Madonna’s album. Otherwise the terrorists win. If you don’t buy the album, it’s just like you were pulling the trigger yourself.

Julia Griggs
Ultimate Madonna Hater

January 9th, 2015, 7:40 pm #2

Of.
Course.
She.
Would.

No other words ...

Realist84
Desperately Seeking Clarity

January 10th, 2015, 5:09 am #3

I counted the minutes before Madonna would exploit it... it came off like clockwork if I say so myself.
"I'm a person who has life and wants to live, always have." -- Whitney Houston (1963-2012)

flea dip
Ultimate Madonna Hater
flea dip
Ultimate Madonna Hater

January 10th, 2015, 5:09 pm #4

Realist84 wrote:I counted the minutes before Madonna would exploit it... it came off like clockwork if I say so myself.
I had wondered, oh so briefly, if she would use that tragedy or not, but then thought, "Nah, not even she could be that insensitive and self absorbed." But then she did.

This was what prompted me to make the Twitter account.

Up until now, I was pretty content to just sit on this forum and post about her, but if she's going to exploit something like that with all the hash tags to promote her album, I'm going to do the same thing but in reverse (I've been tweeting anti Madonna editorials using the #RebelHeart hashtag).

My tweets have so far not been showing up in searches for "RebelHeart," but I assume that is because my account is so brand new. She has a lot of fans on there tweeting on her behalf

Madonna accused of using Charlie Hebdo massacre to promote album
  • Jan 10, 2015
    Madonna is causing controversy once again, and is being accused of using the Charlie Hebdo massacre to promote her album, reports The New York Post.

The pop diva Instagrammed a “Je Suis Charlie” image Wednesday, sharing words of peace while also hashtagging her own album title, “Rebel Heart.”

“These are very scary times we are living in. Ignorance breeds Intolerance and fear. We can only fight darkness with light! We are all Charlie! #revolutionoflove ❤#rebelhearts,” Madonna wrote.

She also posted a picture of Parisian protesters, saying, “We must respect ALL religions! But we must also RESPECT human life!! Killing in the name of G*D is man’s idea not G*D’s!!!! #livingforlove ♥  ❤#rebelheart.”

whistleblower
whistleblower

January 10th, 2015, 6:15 pm #5

Realist84 wrote:I counted the minutes before Madonna would exploit it... it came off like clockwork if I say so myself.
Madonna doesn't miss a beat. She must be rather excitable when posting...as if she can't get her rants out there quick enough.( Might be one of the reasons she has so many spelling mistakes). Silly old lady.

Realist84

January 12th, 2015, 5:01 pm #6

^ Well she is a 16-year-old girl emotionally still so it's understandable she's so quick to post something on Instagram...
"I'm a person who has life and wants to live, always have." -- Whitney Houston (1963-2012)

flea dip
Ultimate Madonna Hater
flea dip
Ultimate Madonna Hater

January 13th, 2015, 8:45 pm #7

This might be becoming a trend. Using tragedy for promotional opportunities.

McDonald's new advertising campaign accused of exploiting tragedies to sell burgers
  • By Amelia Butterly
    Newsbeat reporter

McDonald's has defended its latest US advertising campaign after it "sparked commentary" from social media users saying they were exploiting tragedies.

The advert shows restaurant signs with messages that have been written for community members over the years.

Although some praised the company for reflecting the lives of local people, others said they shouldn't capitalise on events such as 11 September attacks.
    "Did we expect all this? No," said Deborah Wahl, chief marketing officer.
    "Good advertising creates emotion," she said.

"We Remember 9 11," reads one sign. Another, saying "Boston Strong" refers to the marathon bombing which killed three people.

Realist84

January 13th, 2015, 10:46 pm #8

^ McDonald's is a lie...

Julia Griggs
Ultimate Madonna Hater

January 14th, 2015, 4:13 am #9

Just like Madonna's being desperate to keep her brand alive, the McDonald's people also get worse in their attempts in trying to save it,

flea dip
Ultimate Madonna Hater
flea dip
Ultimate Madonna Hater

January 15th, 2015, 12:50 pm #10

I am surprised and disappointed that the media did not give her more grief for this. The media carried this story four about one day, then it fizzzled out

MADONNA ACCUSED OF USING FRANCE TERROR KILLINGS TO PROMOTE NEW ALBUM
  • by DANIEL NUSSBAUM12 Jan 201523
    Madonna is under fire yet again for her controversial social media postings promoting her new album.

The global pop superstar shared a #JeSuisCharlie image on her Instagram account this week, shortly after an Islamist terror attack claimed the lives of 12 people at the offices of the French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo. She included something else in her posts, however: #rebelheart, the name of her forthcoming album.

“These are very scary times we are living in,” Madonna captioned her post. “Ignorance breeds intolerance and fear. We can only fight darkness with light! We are all Charlie! #revolutionoflove #rebelhearts.”