Moderators: JosieG, Melissa, flea dip

flea dip
Ultimate Madonna Hater
flea dip
Ultimate Madonna Hater

June 11th, 2018, 10:45 pm #241

Lady Gaga has revealed she still battles depression and anxiety every day
  • June 2018

Lady Gaga has revealed she still battles depression and anxiety every day.

The pop star spoke of her demons during an honest interview with Billboard about her Born This Way foundation, which works to address mental and physical issues facing young fans.

It was launched as a tool to help connect people and give them a "sense somebody cares", after years spent watching her fans grow up and encounter difficult situations.

In 2011 a 14-year-old Gaga fan named Jordey Rodemeyer took his own life after being bullied at school over his sexuality.

The singer admits it was just one of a number of incidents that convinced her to stand up for the cause.

"Many of them were really young: 11- to 17-year-olds in very tumultuous times," she said.

"They would tell me their stories and many of them were very dark. As I began to care for them and to see myself in them, I felt I had to do something that would remind kids they're not alone."

Born This Way first sponsored a pop up resource centre called the Born Brave Bus Tour, drawing 150,000 visitors in two years.

More recently, the foundation shifted its focus to peer support and preventive initiatives, including research on youth and mental health in a partnership with Yale's Centre for Emotional Intelligence.

Gaga said depression and anxiety most commonly link the youngsters she meets and cites technology as a barrier to communication.

"There is something in the way that we are now, cell phones and people are not looking at each other and not being in the moment with each other, that kids feel isolated.

"They read all of this extremely hateful language on the Internet. The internet is a toilet. It is. It used to be a fantastic resource, but you have to sort through s**t to find the good stuff."

She went on to discuss her own mental health struggles: "I've suffered through depression and anxiety my entire life, I still suffer with it every single day.

"I just want these kids to know that that depth that they feel as human beings is normal. We were born that way. This modern thing, where everyone is feeling shallow and less connected? That's not human."

Her new track titled Til It Happens to You, also aligns with these missions.

It was released last month in conjunction with 2015 campus-rape documentary The Hunting Ground.

It is a devastatingly personal ballad which draws upon a sexual assault she suffered at the age of 19.

"We don't have to be victims," Gaga said. "If we share our stories and stick together, we're stronger."

flea dip
Ultimate Madonna Hater
flea dip
Ultimate Madonna Hater

June 20th, 2018, 4:06 am #242

Lady Gaga on Her MTV Documentary Win and Reinventing Herself Through the Pain – Exclusive Interview
  • June 2018

Lady Gaga is five-foot two inches tall and still growing.

“I’m actually five-foot three and three quarters,” she clarified at Saturday’s MTV Movie and TV Awards.

The New York-born pop magnet, whose “Gaga: Five Foot Two” won best music documentary at the MTV event, has been largely out of the public eye since ending her Joanne World Tour in January, which grossed over $95 million in ticket sales.

Sitting backstage after the MTV taping, draped in black, she tells Variety she’s been holed up in the studio, readying for what could be the most pivotal year of her career, which will see her first major movie role in “A Star Is Born” opposite Bradley Cooper, a two-year Las Vegas residency that kicks off in December, and oh yeah, she’s working on a new album.

“I’m just always making music, I’ve always been that way and I think you see in ‘Five Foot Two’ that I’m a studio rat,” the 32 year-old says.

Netflix and Live Nation Prods.’ vérité-style doc, released in September, featured Gaga in her most vulnerable state yet, from rehearsing a high-wire performance at the Super Bowl to more down to earth moments like cooking at home, sitting poolside, topless, skewering “bulls-t” men and having a meltdown on the set of “American Horror Story.”

“All my insecurities are gone, I don’t feel insecure about who am I as a woman,” she says in the doc.

She tells Variety, “I made a decision really early on that I wanted Chris (Moukarbel, the film’s director) to have full access to me and my life. I just blocked the cameras out so they could capture the realities of my life.”

Moukarbel’s raw look at the global superstar also chronicled her battle with fibromyalgia and chronic pain, stemming from a hip injury she suffered three years ago that eventually cut her European tour short. She hopes by revealing the invisible illness it helps raise awareness and tackle ignorance about the disease.

“To anyone that doesn’t believe in fibromyalgia: I dare you to spend five minutes in my body on a day when I’m in pain, and then try and say it again,” she said of her condition.
Lady Gaga Made a Confession About Her Documentary at the MTV Movie & TV Awards

Lady Gaga Surprises Fans With Appearance At MTV Movie & TV Awards

flea dip
Ultimate Madonna Hater
flea dip
Ultimate Madonna Hater

August 31st, 2018, 9:56 pm #243

Based on some of the movie reviews I'm seeing, it sounds as though Lady Gaga can act, which Madonna could not really do, not in most of her films.

Lady Gaga Wows Critics with Her A Star Is Born Performance: She's 'Dynamite'

Aug 2018

Lady Gaga is receiving critical acclaim for her starring role in Bradley Cooper’s A Star Is Born.

The Golden Globe winner, 32, plays Ally, a struggling artist who has given up on her dream of becoming a singer until seasoned musician Jackson Maine (Cooper) convinces her to try again.

Gaga, who was born Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta, delivered an unforgettable performance if the first reviews from the film are to be believed. The film world premiered at the Venice Film Festival on Friday.

Among some of the most enthusiastic praise Gaga receives is from Variety’s Owen Gleiberman, who tweeted the film is “a total emotional knockout, directed by Bradley Cooper on a high wire of emotion, and he and Lady Gaga are stunning together.”

“This is what movies are all about,” he added.

The Wrap’s Alonso Duralde wrote in his review, “Cooper and Lady Gaga are dynamite together.”

Of the pop star’s singing, Duralde said, “I rate [Judy] Garland’s performance ‘The Man That Got Away’ as one of the all-time great musical performances on celluloid, so I mean it as high praise when I say that while none of the numbers in this version surpasses that moment, some of them shockingly close.”

IndieWire’s Michael Nordine also delivered high praise for the singer and actress writing she “is resplendent as a diamond-in-the-rough singer.”

“Her magnetism draws you into the world… she instantly makes you believe in her Ally as a no-name talent despite already being one of the most successful singers on the planet,” he wrote.

“Even with everything Gaga’s already done, A Star Is Born feels like a coming-out party for her,” he added. “Cooper is the co-lead but, in much the same way that his Jackson Maine takes Ally on tour and facilitates her burgeoning superstardom, it often feels like his onscreen goal is to play second fiddle and help us see that, as both an actress and a singer, his costar is a singular talent.”

A Star Is Born is in theaters Oct. 5.

flea dip
Ultimate Madonna Hater
flea dip
Ultimate Madonna Hater

September 2nd, 2018, 12:18 am #244

This has been cross posted to other threads (in the "Madonna Blows Chunks" forum).

Sounds like Gaga can do something Madonna cannot: act well.

She can sing, but can she act? Critics hail Lady Gaga: movie star
  • Sept 2018

VENICE, Italy (Reuters) - Most of the critics avoided the obvious headline to describe Lady Gaga’s performance in “A Star Is Born”, but they seemed to agree that the singer showed what it takes to lead a major movie.

For audiences familiar with the pop diva known for high-concept outfits and extraordinary hair and make-up, Gaga is barely recognizable as Ally the girl-next-door who has given up on a music career until she is discovered by grizzled rock star Jackson, played by first-time director Bradley Cooper.

“Given the extravagance of the pop star’s usual costumes, it’s almost like you’re seeing her for the first time,” wrote IndieWire’s Michael Nordine.

“She instantly makes you believe in her Ally as a no-name talent despite already being one of the most successful singers on the planet. Unassuming but obviously special.”

Reverting to form, Lady Gaga donned an off-the-shoulder dress made of long pink feathers as she accompanied Cooper in his tuxedo to the world premiere at the Venice Film Festival on Friday.

“Gaga completely sheds her pop persona and exhibits a scrubbed-clean, relaxed appeal and a deft balance of toughness and vulnerability,” The Hollywood Reporter’s David Rooney wrote, in his review, adding that Cooper has “real warmth and a sexy spark in his onscreen chemistry with Gaga that makes their characters’ instant connection believable”.

From noodling on a piano at home, to huge concert scenes filmed for real at Coachella and Glastonbury festivals that Rooney found “electrifying”, the songs were recorded live, putting Gaga’s best-known talent in the spotlight.

Gaga is the third diva to tackle the story and couldn’t possibly have more fabulous shoes to fill: Judy Garland made the original musical version in 1954. The 1976 remake starred none other than Barbra Streisand.

But critics said Gaga soared to the occasion.

In his five-star review in The Guardian, Peter Bradshaw called her performance “sensationally good”. The movie was “hokum”, but “outrageously watchable and colossally enjoyable”.

Gaga’s “ability to be part ordinary person, part extraterrestrial celebrity empress functions at the highest level at all times.”

Critics were also impressed by Cooper’s debut as director.

“To say that he does a good job would be to understate his accomplishment,” wrote Owen Gleiberman in Variety. “As a filmmaker, Bradley Cooper gets right onto the high wire, staging scenes that take their time and play out with a shaggy intimacy.

“The new ‘Star Is Born’ is a total emotional knockout, but it’s also a movie that gets you to believe, at every step, in the complicated rapture of the story it’s telling.”

“A Star Is Born” screened in a non-competition slot at the Venice festival which runs to Sept 8.

flea dip
Ultimate Madonna Hater
flea dip
Ultimate Madonna Hater

September 8th, 2018, 5:51 pm #245

All of the reviews I've seen so far are saying this is a good movie, and Lady Gaga's acting is great, too.

Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper Soar in the Rich, Rapturous A Star Is Born
  • It is now safe to believe the hype.
    by Richard Lawson, Sept 2018

When it hits its highest, most resonant notes, Bradley Cooper’s remake of A Star Is Born—starring the director alongside pop icon Lady Gaga—achieves a triumphant, romantic ache that is often just what we want to experience at the movies.

The film, which screened here at the Toronto International Film Festival after a buzzy opening in Venice, is solidly traditional without feeling staid or overly familiar.

That’s tricky for any big, earnest romantic drama, and even trickier when the story has been told three previous times on-screen, most recently in a 1976 film starring Barbra Streisand.

Yet Cooper and his radiant co-star more than pull it off, crafting a three-hanky melodrama that’s somehow fresh, modern, and vital.

Gaga has a Golden Globe award for acting, so she’s not exactly a newcomer. A Star Is Born nevertheless plays as a striking debut, a consummate show-woman finally revealing the full gradient and natural ease of her talents. (Well, who knows; maybe she can juggle, too.)

Of course, when her character, Ally—a waitress who moonlights as a cabaret singer at a gay club—lets loose with Gaga’s famous contralto bellow, we’re seeing the pop star we’ve long known and loved.

But Gaga is also a real actress, turning in a fluid and intuitive performance that seamlessly matches those of her more seasoned co-stars. (Sam Elliott is also in the film, to nice effect. So too, oddly, is Andrew Dice Clay.)

As Ally and Cooper’s grizzled, hard-drinking alt-country music star, Jackson Maine, tumble into love and career together, Gaga finds nuanced ways to communicate Ally’s timidity and her strength, how the awed hesitancy of leaning into a dream maybe finally coming true is matched, or rather surpassed, by a deep-seated conviction in her talent.

Gaga, like Cher before her, proves that acting is just another conduit through which to channel her innate (and also hard won, I’m sure) genius for entertaining.

Maybe the singing is a little sturdier than the acting at this point, but in A Star Is Born, she shows such exhilarating, mostly-there-already promise.

And boy does she have a scene partner in Cooper, who gives maybe the performance of his career. (All while directing the damn thing, too!) Jackson is a pickled mess, a self-destructive shambles who creaks with sadness over a bitter past.

But he’s also haloed in decency; Jackson isn’t mean or vindictive. He’s maybe cruel in a scene or two, but we understand where it’s coming from. And Cooper is careful to show Jackson’s genuine contrition, his yearning not to inflict his own pain on those around him and the hurt of it all when he fails.

With its swallowed growl and staggering gait, Cooper’s performance is a big one, but it doesn’t overwhelm.

The totality of what Cooper is doing exists in proportion to everything around him, and he and Gaga flow with perfect, earthy chemistry. I’m surprised they didn’t fall madly in love while making the movie.

...Which I suppose brings me to the real red meat of this movie: the music. Gaga and Lukas Nelson have composed a sampling of songs that exist comfortably in the environment of the movie, but could also (and likely will) stand on their own. Cooper has a pleasant twang when he sings, projecting a melancholy, afternoon-y vibe that brings to mind Crazy Heart. (Which Jeff Bridges won an Oscar for. Hm.) Gaga does a fun rendition of “La Vie en Rose” at a gay bar, a nod to this movie’s already legion gay fans (most of whom haven’t even seen it yet).

All that is great. But when Gaga and Cooper are duetting, howling out the movie’s signature song “The Shallow,” Ally having been dragged on stage at first reluctantly, the movie explodes with vivid life. Cooper’s camera captures the enveloping rush as hearts open and lives change.

These performance scenes are true magic, reveling in the shiver-inducing wonder of a religious revival and a coronation. They’re some of the most spirited stretches of film you’re likely to see this fall.
Review: Lady Gaga in Bradley Cooper’s “A Star is Born” Harkens Back to the Great Big Studio Movies of Yore
  • by Roger Friedman
    September 7, 2018 

Before we get lost in how wonderful Bradley Cooper’s version of Frank Pearson and John Gregory Dunne-Joan Didion’s “A Star is Born” is, and how Lady Gaga is now going to beyond Superstardom, may we stop and salute Sam Elliott? He’s going to get an Oscar nomination for playing Cooper’s much older brother and road manager in this movie. He is absolutely superb, perfectly cast, and this is his year.

I just wanted get that out of the way.

This “Star” is the great big studio movie every studio has pined for for a long time. I mean, it’s big. Cooper has outdone himself, he joins the ranks of Robert Redford, Warren Beatty, and Ben Affleck (and even Ethan Hawke, of late) has top notch actors who also became important directors. Good for him. There isn’t a nicer guy.

He brings a fresh look to “ASIB” while at the same time riffing greatly on that 1976 Streisand-Kristofferson chapter. Cooper and Lady Gaga are sort of playing those actors playing the new characters of Jack and Ally (formerly Norman and Esther).

I hope the choices are intentional. But Cooper’s Jack is a newer grizzled Kris, and Gaga’s Ally is very Barbra centric– so many references to her nose and how she was told to change it. This is Streisand’s story! (Gaga’s nose seems just fine btw).

He’s a big rock-country star with a bad drinking problem. She’s doing gigs at drag clubs in Queens among queens who are nicely letting her be “the girl.” Drunk, and looking for more drink on the way to JFK, he tells his driver to stop at this bar. There he sees Her, and hears her sing, and that’s it: they must be together.

Sounds simple, right? But his star is descending, hers is ascending. Still, they love each other. But she can’t deal with the drinking, he goes to rehab, and she wins a Grammy Award. You know where this is headed.

We know this story so well, and Cooper et al know we do. So he makes it just new enough and of the moment to capture our attention. It doesn’t hurt that Cooper has a good eye and Jack turns out to be an authentic rocker.

Cooper shoulders 2/3 of the movie, which is mind blowing for a debut. And he was smart. You can tell he drew on Robert Altman’s “Nashville” as some influence, a reference guide maybe. Still, it’s a new work.

But it’s all about Lady Gaga. She sings “La Vie En Rose” in the drag club first ten minutes, and you might as well give her an award right there. You could leave, she’s done it, her voice is rich and textured. Her time at Tony Bennett University was well spent.

But wait– she has ten more songs. She draws on Barbra and Liza and Judy and all the girls with gumption and a voice. She’s their kid vocally, although musically her heroine is represented in her Queens bedroom with a framed cover of Carole King’s “Tapestry.” The message is clear, so are all the piano based songs. If Carole and Elton John had a kid, it would be Lady Gaga. Her talent is really stunning.

The soundtrack is phenomenal.
    One hit after another. I’m concerned because it could unseat “The Bodyguard” as the biggest soundtrack of all time. The final song, sung by Gaga, is so Whitney Houston-Clive Davis-David Foster that the comparison must be made: someone read the playbook for that past triumph. And they nailed it. They’ve got enough singles to peel off for months to come.

Nods to Dave Chappelle, Andrew Dice Clay, and Anthony Ramos for fine supporting work. Matthew Libatique will get much applause for his exceptional cinematography. He and Cooper make the film fresh all the way through. Warner Bros. needn’t worry about a Most Popular Film award– they’ve got it. Now they can brace themselves for big big box office.