flea dip
Ultimate Madonna Hater
flea dip
Ultimate Madonna Hater

August 29th, 2005, 6:38 am #1

I saw this headline in google news and just thought it looked very bizarre:

Study says coffee delivers more health benefits than fruit and veggies
  • Aug 29, 2005

COFFEE is likely to contribute far more health-giving anti- oxidants to the British diet than fruit and vegetables, new research suggests.

The evidence comes from the United States, where scientists measured the antioxidant content of more than 100 items, including vegetables, fruits, nuts, spices, oils and beverages.

Coffee emerged as easily the biggest source of antioxidants, taking account of the amount per serving and level of consumption. Black tea came second, followed by bananas, dry beans and corn.

"Americans get more of their antioxidants from coffee than any other dietary source - nothing else comes close," said the leader of the study, Professor Joe Vinson, of Scranton University, Pennsylvania.

.... Antioxidants help to rid the body of harmful free radicals - destructive molecules that damage cells and DNA - and have been linked to a number of health benefits, including protection against heart disease and cancer.

Studies have associated coffee drinking with a reduced risk of liver and colon cancer, type two diabetes and Parkinson's disease. But Prof Vinson urged moderation, recommending that people drink only one or two cups per day. He added: "Unfortunately, consumers are still not eating enough fruits and vegetables, which are better for you from an overall nutritional point of view."

A spokesman for the British Coffee Association said: "This study reconfirms the fact that moderate coffee consumption of four to five cups a day not only is perfectly safe but may confer health benefits."

MissThang
Ray Of Fright
MissThang
Ray Of Fright

August 29th, 2005, 6:52 pm #2

*takes down notes* Drink more coffee!
You don't look impossibly young and glamorous in your pink leotard. You look like Cilla Black at the Royal Variety Performance.

For the love of God just retire.

- About Madonna
Taken from Holy Moly's C**ts Corner

flea dip
Ultimate Madonna Hater
flea dip
Ultimate Madonna Hater

August 30th, 2005, 12:48 am #3

Anna_L wrote: *takes down notes* Drink more coffee!
I just keep hoping they'll tell us one day that potato chips, pizza, and chocolate are healthy and to eat more.

There was some nutrition institute that used to come out yearly with foods that they would deem bad (I think this was during the 1990s, maybe the late 1980s). They were such kill-joys... one year, they said 'stay away from fettucine alfredo (spelling??),' and another year it was, "Stay away from Tex Mex.' I haven't heard from these guys in some time, though.

Ironshadow
Ultimate Madonna Hater
Ironshadow
Ultimate Madonna Hater

August 30th, 2005, 8:24 am #4

The benefits are confined to less than three cups a day, due to caffeine mainly.

It also assists in the prevention of gallstones.

Dark chocolate is also good for you.

flea dip
Ultimate Madonna Hater
flea dip
Ultimate Madonna Hater

March 26th, 2006, 8:34 pm #5

"Healthy Bacon?" That's an oxymoron if I ever saw one :laugh:

I have this old coworker who loves bacon.

Remember that scene in Forest Gump where Forest is talking to his buddy, and the buddy keeps going on and on about the different ways to cook shrimp?

My old coworker was the same way with bacon. That boy would eat it on anything. I got clogged arteries just listening to him talk about it.

Pursuing healthier bacon through biotech

Excerpts:
  • Geneticists have mixed DNA from the roundworm C. elegans and pigs to produce swine with significant amounts of omega-3 fatty acids - the kind believed to stave off heart disease.

Researchers hope they can improve the technique in pork and do the same in chickens and cows. In the process, they also want to better understand human disease.

"We all can use more omega-3 in our diet," said Dr. Jing Kang, the Harvard Medical School researcher who discovered the omega-3-making gene in the worm.

.... Earlier experiments have succeeded in manipulating animals' fat content but most never made it out of the lab because of taste problems.

While boosting Omega-3s doesn't decrease the fat content in pigs, the fatty acids are also important to brain development and may reduce the risk of Alzheimer's disease and depression. The American Heart Association recommends at least two weekly servings of fish, particularly fatty fish like trout and salmon, which are naturally high in omega-3s.

flea dip
Ultimate Madonna Hater
flea dip
Ultimate Madonna Hater

May 20th, 2006, 6:07 am #6

I never drank any of the beverages on their list anyhow. Some of my faves are Mountain Dew (regular and diet), Pepsi, Sam's Diet Cola, Kool Aid, water, tea. I don't drink soda too much, especially when trying to keep my weight down.

FDA: Some Soda Drinks Contain High Levels of Carcinogen

This is a long excerpt from the article; to read second half, please click link above -
  • May 19, 2006 —
    A Food and Drug Administration survey of soft drinks on store shelves found five products containing high levels of cancer-causing benzene.

The drinks contained more than the Environmental Protection Agency's maximum allowable 5 parts per billion.

The products are:

> Safeway Select Diet Orange — one lot had 79.2 parts per billion

> AquaCal Strawberry Flavored Water Beverage — one lot had 23.4 parts per billion

> Crystal Light Sunrise Classic Orange — one lot had 87.9 parts per billion

> Giant Light Cranberry Juice Cocktail — one lot had 10.7 parts per billion

> Crush Pineapple — one lot had 9.2 parts per billion

The rest of the more than 100 tested beverages, samples of which were collected from retail stores in Maryland, Virginia and Michigan, had low levels or no benzene at all, the FDA said. All the products have since been reformulated to remove the benzene.

According to the FDA's Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, benzene is a chemical that is released into the air from emissions from automobiles and burning coal and oil. It is used in the manufacturing of many industrial applications.

Benzene is also a carcinogen that can cause cancer in humans. It has caused cancer in workers exposed to high levels from workplace air.

flea dip
Ultimate Madonna Hater
flea dip
Ultimate Madonna Hater

August 16th, 2006, 7:52 am #7

The 'hot dogs cause genetic mutations' story is below this one:

Crime at its wurst: Truck full of hot dogs swiped

Ha ha, see what they did there? "Wurst" instead of "Worst?" (Seriously, I find it so corny that I think it's funny.)
  • On Tuesday, a hot dog delivery truck, dropping off the gems of The Very Best’s livelihood, was taken during the lunch-hour rush.

.... It is unknown why the thief stole the car. Police officer Ron Taylor said it could’ve been for a joy ride or a quick means of transportation. "But I wouldn’t be surprised if someone was a little hungry and they took it somewhere to empty out the back," he said.
Here's what I really wanted to post about:

Hot dogs may cause genetic mutations

Excerpts:
  • DNA-mutating compounds could boost cancer risk
    Aug 14, 2006

Everyone knows hot dogs aren't exactly healthy for you, but in a new study chemists find they may contain DNA-mutating compounds that might boost one's risk for cancer.

Scientists note there is an up to 240-fold variation in levels of these chemicals across different brands.

.... Extracts from hot dogs bought from the supermarket, when mixed with nitrites, resulted in what appeared to be these DNA-mutating compounds. When added to Salmonella bacteria, hot dog extracts treated with nitrites doubled to quadrupled their normal DNA mutation levels. Triggering DNA mutations in the gut might boost the risk for colon cancer, the researchers explained.

"I won't say you shouldn't eat hot dogs," Mirvish said.

The possible hazard presented here is not just limited to hot dogs. Salted dried fish and seasonings such as soy sauce may contain similar levels of these chemicals, Mirvish said.
Aw crap! Anytime I eat Chinese food, I use tons of soy sauce. Well, cancer here I come, because I'm not giving up soy sauce.

Hot dog meat could harbour risk of cancer: researchers

flea dip
Ultimate Madonna Hater
flea dip
Ultimate Madonna Hater

October 12th, 2007, 9:37 pm #8

Scientists explain chocolate cravings
  • By SETH BORENSTEIN, AP Science Writer Fri Oct 12, 4:34 AM ET

WASHINGTON - If that craving for chocolate sometimes feels like it is coming from deep in your gut, that's because maybe it is.

A small study links the type of bacteria living in people's digestive system to a desire for chocolate. Everyone has a vast community of microbes in their guts.

But people who crave daily chocolate show signs of having different colonies of bacteria than people who are immune to chocolate's allure.

That may be the case for other foods, too. The idea could eventually lead to treating some types of obesity by changing the composition of the trillions of bacteria occupying the intestines and stomach, said Sunil Kochhar, co-author of the study. It appears Friday in the peer-reviewed Journal of Proteome Research.

.... Still to be determined is if the bacteria cause the craving, or if early in life people's diets changed the bacteria, which then reinforced food choices.

How gut bacteria affect people is a hot field of scientific research.

Past studies have shown that intestinal bacteria change when people lose weight, said Dr. Sam Klein, an obesity expert and professor of medicine at Washington University in St. Louis.
please click link to read the whole thing

flea dip
Ultimate Madonna Hater
flea dip
Ultimate Madonna Hater

October 24th, 2007, 6:27 am #9

Broccoli may outperform sunblock
  • Oct 23, 2007
    By Rick Weiss

New research suggests broccoli, the vegetable that the former president famously demonized as inedible, can prevent the damage from ultraviolet light that often leads to skin cancer. And as Bush would surely appreciate, he would not even have to eat it.

In tests on people and hairless mice, a green smear of broccoli-sprout extract blocked the potentially cancer-causing damage usually inflicted by sunlight and showed potential advantages over sunscreens.

The product is still in early stages of development. Among other issues to be worked out is how best to remove the extract's green pigments, which do not contribute to its protective effects and would give users a temporary Martian complexion.

But scientists said the research represents a significant advance because the extract works not by screening out the sun's rays — which has the downside of blocking sun-induced vitamin D production — but by turning on the body's natural cancer-fighting machinery. Once stimulated, those mechanisms work for days, long after the extract is washed away.
Please click link at top to read the rest.

flea dip
Ultimate Madonna Hater
flea dip
Ultimate Madonna Hater

February 13th, 2008, 2:17 am #10

Beer now cheaper than water in Scotland

Excerpt:
  • SUPERMARKETS and corner shops now account for almost a third of all alcohol sold in Scotland, compared with only a fifth 25 years ago, according to the beer industry. Forty-one per cent of Britain's beer is now bought in shops and supermarkets, compared to 33 per cent in 2000 and 30 per cent in 1986.

The shift away from bars has been driven by loss-leading supermarket prices – which have left beer cheaper than water – and the smoking ban, which has led to more consumers drinking at home.

Asda recently slashed the price of its own value-brand beer to just 22p for a 440ml can following similar moves from Tesco and Sainsbury's. It puts the price of beer at 50p a litre (around 28p a pint). Own-brand water costs between 56p and 92p a litre, depending on the store, while own-brand cola costs between 56p to 65p a litre.

The difference between "on-trade" pub and "off-trade" shop-shelf prices is now so wide that it would be cheaper for many pub owners to buy their alcohol in supermarkets than from their own suppliers.