Winner of Legally Blonde

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

7:58 AM - Jul 22, 2008 #1

By Elysa Gardner, USA TODAY

NEW YORK — Bailey Hanks had never seen a Broadway show before auditioning for the hit musical Legally Blonde. But she knew all about Elle Woods, the perky coed-turned-Harvard Law whiz.

"I saw both Legally Blonde movies as soon as they came out," says Hanks, 20. She played the original film on video "so often that our VCR ate it up. At that point, I had to buy the DVD."

All that research is paying off for the pastor's daughter from Anderson, S.C., who was revealed Monday as the winner of MTV's reality series Legally Blonde The Musical: The Search for Elle Woods.

Hanks begins performances Wednesday at the Palace Theatre, replacing Tony-nominated leading lady Laura Bell Bundy. She already has recorded a song from the show, So Much Better, available at iTunes and Amazon.

Hanks has been performing in school and community productions since she was 5, including appearances as Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz, Baby June in Gypsy and the title role in Annie, for which the blond actress cut her hair and dyed it red. ("If I'm going to be Annie, I want to know how it feels.")

K-the-O ;-)
K-the-O ;-)

5:52 PM - Jul 22, 2008 #2

Dare I ask if she was any good?

"May darkness follow you everywhere"

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

6:32 PM - Jul 22, 2008 #3

tonya
tonya

12:57 AM - Jul 23, 2008 #4

Dare I ask if she was any good?

"May darkness follow you everywhere"
Allie and I watched the show a few times and she really stood out. I loved the video!

K-the-O ;-)
K-the-O ;-)

1:47 AM - Jul 23, 2008 #5

I'm not familiar with the score so I can't comment on how well she sang that song. It seems that she can sing but...what do I know?
My question is, can she act? Is there dancing involved with this role? These reality shows seems to base everything on singing only, as if you don't have to act or dance to be in a musical.

ILuvAnnie2
ILuvAnnie2

2:20 AM - Jul 23, 2008 #6

Yes, Bailey can sing. But actually the other finalist, Autumn, had a better singing voice. Bailey definitely won the competition because of her dancing and acting abilities, IMHO. I was happy to see that they did not seem to base the final decision only on singing.

K-the-O ;-)
K-the-O ;-)

2:46 PM - Jul 23, 2008 #7

That's good to know, LuvAnnie. I didn't see this particular show. It seemed they cast the Grease leads based on singing and (allegedly) on looks but not acting or dancing.

Rachel
Rachel

3:16 PM - Jul 23, 2008 #8

Each week, the girls on this show had to do an audition with the actual material for the show - act out a scene, do one of the dances, sing one of the songs, etc. They usually had to do it opposite one of the cast members of the Broadway company. For the final challenge, Bailey and Autumn (the other finalist) had to do three numbers from the show full out at the Palace Theatre with full costumes, full orchestra and the ensemble performing with them.

Rachel

ILuvAnnie2
ILuvAnnie2

2:40 PM - Jul 24, 2008 #9

That's good to know, LuvAnnie. I didn't see this particular show. It seemed they cast the Grease leads based on singing and (allegedly) on looks but not acting or dancing.
Yeah, I thought Bailey was really good overall. Didn't follow the Grease show, though.

Laura
Laura

5:11 PM - Jul 24, 2008 #10

By Elysa Gardner, USA TODAY

NEW YORK — Bailey Hanks had never seen a Broadway show before auditioning for the hit musical Legally Blonde. But she knew all about Elle Woods, the perky coed-turned-Harvard Law whiz.

"I saw both Legally Blonde movies as soon as they came out," says Hanks, 20. She played the original film on video "so often that our VCR ate it up. At that point, I had to buy the DVD."

All that research is paying off for the pastor's daughter from Anderson, S.C., who was revealed Monday as the winner of MTV's reality series Legally Blonde The Musical: The Search for Elle Woods.

Hanks begins performances Wednesday at the Palace Theatre, replacing Tony-nominated leading lady Laura Bell Bundy. She already has recorded a song from the show, So Much Better, available at iTunes and Amazon.

Hanks has been performing in school and community productions since she was 5, including appearances as Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz, Baby June in Gypsy and the title role in Annie, for which the blond actress cut her hair and dyed it red. ("If I'm going to be Annie, I want to know how it feels.")
I watched both Grease and Legally Blonde. I was rather skeptical about Legally Blonde after I watched the Grease competition and was disappointed with the talent they had assembled. I recently saw Grease (my 6 year old made me go) and I was pleasantly suprised. I still feel Max is not the right choice for Danny (he is supposed to be the bad boy, and Max doesn't cut it) but I thought Laura did a good job as Sandy (even as a brunette). I saw the show years ago (once with Rosie and once with Brooke Shields, again my older kids made me see it!!!) and thought this was a much better production. After watching Legally Blonde I think Baillee will do a great job, even though she has HUGE shoes to fill-I saw Laura Bell Bundy and thought she was spectacular!!