VERY OT - some trivia I collected about Easter 2008

VERY OT - some trivia I collected about Easter 2008

Jon Merrill
Jon Merrill

March 23rd, 2008, 3:57 pm #1

You may have noticed that stores had their jellybeans and chocolate bunnies out around Valentine's Day this year. This was because of the circumstances surrounding Easter this year with its extraordinarily early celebration. For a lifelong calendar nut like me, this is comparable to a sighting of Halley's Comet. Perhaps you may not be aware of just how remarkable a calendar event this promises to be, so here is the full story:

Easter is always the first Sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox.

Easter in 2008 will be on March 23. This is the only year in the 21st century that Easter will fall on that date. It will not occur on March 23 again until 2160.

There was only one year in the 20th century that this occurred, and that was in 1913.

St. Patrick's Day this year falls on Monday of Holy Week.

The last time Easter fell on a date earlier than March 23 was almost 200 years ago.

Enjoy it while you can. Once Easter 2008 is done, there is not one living human being on the planet today who will ever see Easter occur this early again in his or her lifetime.

The earliest possible date on which Easter may fall is March 22. This last occurred in 1818 and will not happen again until the year 2285.

Three years from now in 2011, Easter will be on April 24, the latest date since 1943 when it was on April 25, the latest date possible. The next April 25 Easter will be in 2038.

In the 500 years between 1800 and 2300, Ash Wednesday coincides with Leap Year Day only once, and that will be on February 29, 2096.

And so, many happy returns of the Easter and Passover season to all of you, as well as the very welcome start of Spring!

Jon Merrill

Ned
Ned

March 24th, 2008, 6:43 am #2

Not only are you extremely informed and gracious about sharing your "Annie" information with all of us, but now you've shared with us your knowledge about Easter as well. Thanks for sharing that. Fascinating.

mom of 6
mom of 6

March 24th, 2008, 11:49 pm #3

You may have noticed that stores had their jellybeans and chocolate bunnies out around Valentine's Day this year. This was because of the circumstances surrounding Easter this year with its extraordinarily early celebration. For a lifelong calendar nut like me, this is comparable to a sighting of Halley's Comet. Perhaps you may not be aware of just how remarkable a calendar event this promises to be, so here is the full story:

Easter is always the first Sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox.

Easter in 2008 will be on March 23. This is the only year in the 21st century that Easter will fall on that date. It will not occur on March 23 again until 2160.

There was only one year in the 20th century that this occurred, and that was in 1913.

St. Patrick's Day this year falls on Monday of Holy Week.

The last time Easter fell on a date earlier than March 23 was almost 200 years ago.

Enjoy it while you can. Once Easter 2008 is done, there is not one living human being on the planet today who will ever see Easter occur this early again in his or her lifetime.

The earliest possible date on which Easter may fall is March 22. This last occurred in 1818 and will not happen again until the year 2285.

Three years from now in 2011, Easter will be on April 24, the latest date since 1943 when it was on April 25, the latest date possible. The next April 25 Easter will be in 2038.

In the 500 years between 1800 and 2300, Ash Wednesday coincides with Leap Year Day only once, and that will be on February 29, 2096.

And so, many happy returns of the Easter and Passover season to all of you, as well as the very welcome start of Spring!

Jon Merrill
Thanks Jon, I now have proof. My Birthday is today and everyone always says Easter is around my birthday. I tell everyone it's NEVER on my birthday and rarely around it. I never can remember it being before. This is a first. I always knew it had to do with the equinox but wasn't quite sure how. Now I know thanks!!

Jon Merrill
Jon Merrill

March 25th, 2008, 1:20 am #4

The only time in the 20th century that Easter was on March 24 was in 1940. It will not occur on March 24 at all in the 21st century.

Check out this Web site:

http://www.smart.net/~mmontes/freq3.html

Happy Birthday!

Best, Jon

RLS
RLS

March 25th, 2008, 1:28 am #5

Thanks Jon, I now have proof. My Birthday is today and everyone always says Easter is around my birthday. I tell everyone it's NEVER on my birthday and rarely around it. I never can remember it being before. This is a first. I always knew it had to do with the equinox but wasn't quite sure how. Now I know thanks!!
A gift from us to you on your birthday!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj6cbM-h8xg

Tried to find Annie singing it, but no luck, yet... I'll find it though, it has to be out there somewhere, lol!

Miss you!

mom of 6
mom of 6

March 25th, 2008, 2:44 am #6

The only time in the 20th century that Easter was on March 24 was in 1940. It will not occur on March 24 at all in the 21st century.

Check out this Web site:

http://www.smart.net/~mmontes/freq3.html

Happy Birthday!

Best, Jon

Thanks Jon,

that was so cool. My mom was 2 in 1940 and I'll bet that Easter she had no ides she would have a daughter on that day 30 years later.
Thanks again, Jon, for all the neat stuff you share

mom of 6
mom of 6

March 25th, 2008, 3:05 am #7

A gift from us to you on your birthday!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj6cbM-h8xg

Tried to find Annie singing it, but no luck, yet... I'll find it though, it has to be out there somewhere, lol!

Miss you!
Imagine only knowing someone a few months and they become one of the most supportive people in your life,
We miss you guys too!!!!

RLS
RLS

March 25th, 2008, 3:39 am #8

You truly are my best friend... I too never thought that could happen the way it did, lol...

March 25th, 2008, 6:27 am #9

nmi

Julie Smith
Julie Smith

March 25th, 2008, 1:06 pm #10

You haven't been posting much lately! I'm glad to see you around again!