Natalie
Natalie

August 10th, 2008, 5:17 pm #11

I'm 17 and 4'10 3/4"...just missed the cutoff for Annie auditions ...not that I'd ever actually try out!

Meghan
Meghan

August 10th, 2008, 8:29 pm #12

My dd, who is now 21, stands 5'1" and plays Elmo in Sesame Street Live! She also played Anne Frank when she was 17 and recently played a 12 year old, which she was able to carry off and look very believable! Of course, she'll never be a Rockette, but she understands her height limitations and goes with it.

Good luck to you.
thats exactly why i like being short. I'll be able to play younger roles for a long time. I would totally love to do what Grief is doing now and do the SOM asia tour...that just seems so cool to me. There was a time when i wanted to be a rockette.....THATs not gonna happen...lol. o well.

k-the-O ;-)
k-the-O ;-)

August 11th, 2008, 6:44 pm #13

I agree. I'm 17 and my friend's 11-year-old sister is taller than me. Plus, the kids in Annie are supposed to be between 6 and 13, so it's not very unthinkable for them to be taller. It would just be harder to distinguish them from the adults.
"I agree. I'm 17 and my friend's 11-year-old sister is taller than me. Plus, the kids in Annie are supposed to be between 6 and 13, so it's not very unthinkable for them to be taller. It would just be harder to distinguish them from the adults."

Right. Which is why there is a height requirement. Also, the tour has to consider possible growth spurts and replacements. It's better if the kids are on the smaller side so that they won't have to be replaced every other month. This is a SHOW BUSINESS people. It is not a forum to raise your child's self-esteem.

rolling eyes

August 12th, 2008, 3:58 am #14

thats exactly why i like being short. I'll be able to play younger roles for a long time. I would totally love to do what Grief is doing now and do the SOM asia tour...that just seems so cool to me. There was a time when i wanted to be a rockette.....THATs not gonna happen...lol. o well.
I feel very lucky to be on the SOM Asia tour, but I'm not even short enough for the Annie orphan swing! (That's not really a good role for me anyway, vocally, so that's ok.) On the other side of the matter, I get sad when an adult call has a height minimum, like 5'4" for the adult ensemble in Annie! People in theatre tell me that I have so many options for roles, but I don't really -- only in an unusual situation where they need an adult who looks young/small! But as someone else posted, I understand the limitations and I have no problem playing children, teens, fairies, elves ... and so on.

tonya
tonya

August 12th, 2008, 4:44 pm #15

"I agree. I'm 17 and my friend's 11-year-old sister is taller than me. Plus, the kids in Annie are supposed to be between 6 and 13, so it's not very unthinkable for them to be taller. It would just be harder to distinguish them from the adults."

Right. Which is why there is a height requirement. Also, the tour has to consider possible growth spurts and replacements. It's better if the kids are on the smaller side so that they won't have to be replaced every other month. This is a SHOW BUSINESS people. It is not a forum to raise your child's self-esteem.

rolling eyes

nmi

Meghan
Meghan

August 13th, 2008, 5:57 am #16

I feel very lucky to be on the SOM Asia tour, but I'm not even short enough for the Annie orphan swing! (That's not really a good role for me anyway, vocally, so that's ok.) On the other side of the matter, I get sad when an adult call has a height minimum, like 5'4" for the adult ensemble in Annie! People in theatre tell me that I have so many options for roles, but I don't really -- only in an unusual situation where they need an adult who looks young/small! But as someone else posted, I understand the limitations and I have no problem playing children, teens, fairies, elves ... and so on.
Hey Grief!

I've been reading your blog the whole tour (and the hiatus too), its so interesting! Its such a bummer though that you guys have to come back so soon and the tour won't be continuing (at least for the time being). Well just wanted to let you know I love reading your blog and I hope you are fully recovered from your cough or whatever it was.

Meghan

p.s. If the tour does resume, do you think they will hold anymore auditions? (i imagine the kids will have grown....) I would SO love to be a part of the show. (although i dont really see why they would hire a 17 year old when it would be cheaper to hire someone 18+). anyways, just wondering.

August 13th, 2008, 9:18 am #17

Hi Meghan,

I'm glad you like my blog!

About future auditions, I think it would depend on how soon the show would come back (if at all). We know that they are trying to find bookings for October and later, and our contracts actually go through November, so if they bring us back that soon, I think they'd try to keep the current cast of kids, even though they have grown! If it comes back later, like in January, most likely they'd re-audition. However, nobody knows yet if the tour is going to come back at all! Troika tours use Dave Clemmons casting, so any future audition info will be found on their website -- you can google it.