To KM (about GYPSY!!!)

September 9th, 2008, 5:15 am #1

KM --

I just got the new CD of Gypsy that Emma is in. It is fantastic! I absolutely love the bonus tracks, particularly "Mama's Talkin' Soft." Of course, I had heard the duet version I emailed you a while ago, but never the full quartet. The harmony is fantastic, and it gives the little girls (especially Baby Louise) so much more prominence in the show! I wish they could add that back into the production today. I also thought it was neat that the girls sing harmony in 3rds (which sounds amazing, by the way - go Emma on the harmony!), sort of foreshadowing the same kind of harmony we hear later in "If Momma Was Married" with the older girls.

Anyway, great recording all in all. If anyone is looking for a Gypsy recording, this is really the one to get! I decided to order from Barnes and Noble, because they are offering a bonus CD with even more extra tracks (Entr'acte, some dialogue, some underscoring...).

km
km

September 11th, 2008, 12:25 am #2

Grief - Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. Things have been nonstop with school being back in session, and with the whole family together again. I'm so glad you're enjoying the recording. The experience of recording it was yet another unforgettable part of Gypsy for Emma. Steven Sondheim worked with B.June and B.Louise on the bonus tracks which was pretty incredible for the girls. I, too, love "Mama's Talkin Soft" and am glad Emma got the chance to actually sing without being told..."Sing out, Louise"!
Is your "Sound of Music Run" over?