To: Julie

CindyS
CindyS

June 23rd, 2008, 1:32 am #1

Hi Julie. Just wondering if you'd be so kind as to give us the time frames that each of the broadway Annies had the role. I've recently fallen in love with little Allison Smith and wondered how long she held the role. Also, all the other Annies. Thanks. God bless.

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

June 23rd, 2008, 3:16 am #2

I think Jon Merrill probably knows the exact dates, which I don't. I believe that Andrea played the role from 77-78, Shelley from 78-79, Sarah Jessica from 79-80, Allison Smith from 80-82 and Alyson Kirk for the final 3 months - the show closed January of 83.

Allison was a terrific Annie.

Julie

Karen
Karen

June 23rd, 2008, 3:53 am #3

Hi Julie. Just wondering if you'd be so kind as to give us the time frames that each of the broadway Annies had the role. I've recently fallen in love with little Allison Smith and wondered how long she held the role. Also, all the other Annies. Thanks. God bless.
Allison Smith was the longest Annie on Broadway and performed the role over 1000
times. The time line as follows Andrea opened in April of 1977 and stayed until
March 1978. She opened Annie in London in May 1978 for two monthe. Shelley bruce opened in March 1978 and stayed until March 1979. Sarah Jessica Parker played Annie from March 1978 until Jan 1980. She grew 5 inches that year. Allison Smith opened Jan 1980 as stayed until Sept 1982. She had not out grown the part. Alyson Kirk played Annie from Sept 1982 until it closed Jan 1 1983. Allison played Annie again in a tour in early 1982.

CindyS
CindyS

June 23rd, 2008, 4:13 am #4

So, if Allison had not outgrown the part, did she choose to leave the show?

Karen
Karen

June 23rd, 2008, 5:39 am #5

Here is a picture of them from the last night.
http://www.annieorphans.com/CastLists/B ... mages/alys
on3.htm
You can see they are the same height. I think they were trying to bring new life
to the show. They didn't know yet that the show was going to close.

old fan
old fan

June 23rd, 2008, 1:30 pm #6

I saw Allison on Broadway and she was excellent, both singing & acting. I thought she might have stayed, if she had known it was only a few months more, if the decision was hers.If they decided to replace her for "new life" IMO that was a mistake, because she had already built up a great reputation for herself... Either way, she had the longest Broadway run of any of the OBC Annies.

Debbie
Debbie

June 23rd, 2008, 11:27 pm #7

I LOVED Allison. She was awesome. It's amazing how much she improved from the Prime Time audition!

Jon Merrill
Jon Merrill

June 24th, 2008, 2:04 am #8

I think Jon Merrill probably knows the exact dates, which I don't. I believe that Andrea played the role from 77-78, Shelley from 78-79, Sarah Jessica from 79-80, Allison Smith from 80-82 and Alyson Kirk for the final 3 months - the show closed January of 83.

Allison was a terrific Annie.

Julie
The dates I have are:

Andrea, April 21, 1977
Shelley, February 28, 1978
Sarah, March 6, 1979
Allison, January 29, 1980
Alyson, September 8, 1982

In the summer of 1982 the movie was killing the Broadway show's box office, so Martin decided to generate some new interest in the show by changing the Annie and the Hannigan. It didn't work, and in the last week of October it was announced that the show would close on January 2, 1983.

CindyS
CindyS

June 24th, 2008, 2:56 am #9

I LOVED Allison. She was awesome. It's amazing how much she improved from the Prime Time audition!
Yes, I agree. I had to watch the Prime Time special several times before I realized it was Allison. She's so adorable. The interview a week after her run started is totally precious! I wish I could have seen her.

CindyS
CindyS

June 24th, 2008, 2:58 am #10

The dates I have are:

Andrea, April 21, 1977
Shelley, February 28, 1978
Sarah, March 6, 1979
Allison, January 29, 1980
Alyson, September 8, 1982

In the summer of 1982 the movie was killing the Broadway show's box office, so Martin decided to generate some new interest in the show by changing the Annie and the Hannigan. It didn't work, and in the last week of October it was announced that the show would close on January 2, 1983.
How did Allison react to being replaced, especially since she was still a good size to play Annie, and the fact that one of her best friends replaced her. Was she ready to leave? Did she have other opportunities at that time?