Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

June 24th, 2008, 3:04 am #11

Question: How did Allison react to being replaced, especially since she was still a good size to play Annie

Answer: Allison's contract was up, so she knew she was being replaced. It was not a surprise.

Question:...and the fact that one of her best friends replaced her.

Answer: Alyson Kirk and Allison Smith were not best friends. They were from the same town but did not have the same friends.

Question: Was she ready to leave?

Answer: I think Allison was ready to leave until we all discovered that the show would be closing, and then she wanted to stay and finish out the run.

Question: Did she have other opportunities at that time?

Answer: Of course! Allison went on to star in the TV series, "Kate & Allie."

Julie

old fan
old fan

June 24th, 2008, 6:56 pm #12

Was it hard to adjust to a new Annie ?

Michelle
Michelle

June 25th, 2008, 12:40 am #13

The dates I have are:

Andrea, April 21, 1977
Shelley, February 28, 1978
Sarah, March 6, 1979
Allison, January 29, 1980
Alyson, September 8, 1982

In the summer of 1982 the movie was killing the Broadway show's box office, so Martin decided to generate some new interest in the show by changing the Annie and the Hannigan. It didn't work, and in the last week of October it was announced that the show would close on January 2, 1983.
I remember the closing of Annie actually made national nightly news. I remember them having a segment about it on NBC nightly news.

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

June 25th, 2008, 1:22 am #14

Was it hard to adjust to a new Annie ?
Every Annie had a different energy and personality, so it was an adjustment. Alyson Kirk was already playing Kate in the show when she became Annie, so we were all comfortable with her on stage.

Julie

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

June 25th, 2008, 2:49 am #15

I remember the closing of Annie actually made national nightly news. I remember them having a segment about it on NBC nightly news.
Yes, those closing night news pieces are on the video page of annieorphans.com, in the Broadway section.

Julie

middleAgedFan!
middleAgedFan!

June 25th, 2008, 4:23 am #16

So, if Allison had not outgrown the part, did she choose to leave the show?
I THINK I remember reading that she kind of wanted to leave the show, because she was starting 7th grade and wanted to have an active school life. When she found out Annie was closing, she was disappointed about not closing with the show. I never saw her perform, but from the clips she looks like a really likable, really cute Annie. And I think she came across really well in Julie's movie, a lovely and articulate woman.

old fan
old fan

June 25th, 2008, 1:36 pm #17

I am definitely an Allison fan. Her singing had that spine-tingling quality IMO, and I enjoyed her entire performance. I also loved her in Kate & Allie, among other things. But I agree, no two Annies are alike, so you can't really compare anything other than your opinion of whose performance you got more out of. It depends on so many factors...

K-the-O ;-)
K-the-O ;-)

June 28th, 2008, 1:30 pm #18

I saw Allison on Broadway and she was excellent, both singing & acting. I thought she might have stayed, if she had known it was only a few months more, if the decision was hers.If they decided to replace her for "new life" IMO that was a mistake, because she had already built up a great reputation for herself... Either way, she had the longest Broadway run of any of the OBC Annies.
Wasn't it up at that point?