theatre politcs question

theatre politcs question

Elizabeth
Elizabeth

November 27th, 2008, 7:54 pm #1

My daughter is new to the audition process. She is only pursuing local opportunities. After a few recent auditions, I have spoken to enough people to find out politics is greatly involved in our area. Once you get to know which children belong to whom, or which child's parents are friends with whom, it becomes apparent talent isn't always what it takes to get a part in a show. I hate this. Is anyone else going through this too?

mom
mom

November 29th, 2008, 6:10 am #2

Although I understand your frustration, you will learn many variables come into play when a show is cast. It is certainly not a "talent" contest. And like most businesses, who you know can make a difference in getting the job. A dear friend often reminds me, this isn't "show-fun" it is "show-business."

There are times that pure talent with NO contacts prevails. There are other times that politics play a major part. This is true from community theatre to Broadway and we have experienced it at both levels. BUT, when the chips fall your way -- it can be a wonderful and enriching experience.

Just keep plugging along and know there is a part waiting for her.. Just not always a rhyme or reason to how it happens.