The "ancestors" of the Broadway Kids

The "ancestors" of the Broadway Kids

January 12th, 2009, 9:28 pm #1

Last edited by Cecile-France on January 12th, 2009, 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Claire
Claire

January 12th, 2009, 9:45 pm #2

What year was that? (nm)

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

January 12th, 2009, 10:44 pm #3

Cecile:

Wow, you're fast. I just uploaded that to my You Tube account last night. I sent it to Sasha Charnin and Kim Stern, who are both featured in the piece. This story was about a desert club in Manhattan that had a special show for kids, called Youngstars. It ran for several years in the early 80's and I was a part of the group after that piece aired. Many "Annie" kids performed there. The man interviewed, Robert Marks, is a voice teacher for kids in New York and appeared briefly in my documentary. He also played the piano at the bookstore performance that we all did last year to promote the DVD release of "Life After Tomorrow."

Julie

January 12th, 2009, 10:56 pm #4

Another evidence I spend way too much time on internet so I'm going to bed now!

Js Mom
Js Mom

January 12th, 2009, 11:42 pm #5

Cecile:

Wow, you're fast. I just uploaded that to my You Tube account last night. I sent it to Sasha Charnin and Kim Stern, who are both featured in the piece. This story was about a desert club in Manhattan that had a special show for kids, called Youngstars. It ran for several years in the early 80's and I was a part of the group after that piece aired. Many "Annie" kids performed there. The man interviewed, Robert Marks, is a voice teacher for kids in New York and appeared briefly in my documentary. He also played the piano at the bookstore performance that we all did last year to promote the DVD release of "Life After Tomorrow."

Julie
Julie: You mentioned that, Sasha was part of that group. I didn't realize that she enjoyed performing, too! So, why wasn't she ever in "Annie"?

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

January 13th, 2009, 2:34 am #6

Yes, Sasha loved to perform. She wanted to be in "Annie" but her Dad did not put her in the show. I don't even think she knows why. He did put her in other cabaret shows that he directed, when she was in her teens and twenties.

Julie

Claire
Claire

January 13th, 2009, 2:42 am #7

Martin Charnin probably didn't want to expose his young daughter to the kind of things that were discussed in "Life After Tomorrow".