old fan
old fan

September 17th, 2008, 2:36 pm #11

I remember one great Kate And Allie episode in which Jennie (Allison) brought home a new friend named Carter (played by Martha Byrne who was with Allison in Annie on Broadway), and Carter was teaching Jennie how to smoke, and Allie walked into the room with a look of stark horror. Later on, Carter shoplifted a scarf at the mall and made it look as if Jennie had done it, and Jennie was arrested. I was present at that live taping on January 22, 1985 in New York, and it was very interesting seeing how an episode of a sitcom evolves into a finished product.

I also attended another taping the following December for an episode in which Jennie was working, and her boss told her he would fire her if she didn't go on a date with him.
...there were episodes about being pressured by her boyfriend to "further their relationship" which I thought was well done, especially when Jennie's mom talked to her about it, as well as other episodes about school, clothes , dating ( or not having a boyfriend), curfews etc.

It must have been great fun to watch the shows being taped live, Jon.

Julie Smith
Julie Smith

September 17th, 2008, 6:49 pm #12

It used to irritate Allison when the producers and writers of the show would always make her sing "Tomorrow," as if they think it's the only song she knows!

Later on, she sang the Patty Smyth/Scandal 1982 hit "Good-bye To You" on the show and did a great job.
I remember her coming on to Vicki Lawrence's old talk show and Vicki kept trying to get her to sing Tomorrow. Allison was being a good sport, but kept saying she's rather not. Finally Vicki said just sing the big one at the end of the song, and then Vicki belted out "TOMORROW!" So, Allison then just simply imitated Vicki's belt and the audience went wild with applause. She looked so surprised.
Did anyone else catch that way back when?

old fan
old fan

September 17th, 2008, 8:29 pm #13

...I never saw this. Julie, I hope you are posting from your hospital bed !!!!

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

September 17th, 2008, 9:47 pm #14

Hospital bed?? Why would you think I am in the hospital?

Julie

Julie Smith
Julie Smith

September 17th, 2008, 10:05 pm #15

... Old Fan meant me. I'm surprised that hasn't happened before. My next door neighbor is also named Julie and we drive the neighbors crazy.

And no, I'm not in the hospital. My doc is talking about inducing next week if he has not arrived. I'm not thrilled with that. I've tried everything short of castor oil. Anybody know of any good tricks to get babies to arrive (I'm at 39 weeks, so it's ok). I'm going to go do some jumping jacks.

old fan
old fan

September 17th, 2008, 11:38 pm #16

Julie
Glad you're NOT in the hospital Julie Stevens, and sorry YOU are not, Julie Smith ! Please don't try castor oil, lol, you'll just end with a stomach ache etc ! Good luck again...try walking if you can, and there is another recommended activity that I cannot mention here

old fan
old fan

September 17th, 2008, 11:40 pm #17

Julie
How did that happen??