Stage Accidents

Denver
Denver

October 4th, 2008, 3:05 pm #1

The terrible accident that happened here in Denver with Randal Keith during a performance of Les Miz, made me stop wonder if there have ever been any serious stage accidents involving the children of Annie? (I truly hope none have ever occurred!)

For those interested, here is an update link of the Les Miz accident and what the company has done to replace Mr. Keith.

http://www.denverpost.com/theater/ci_10624131

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

October 4th, 2008, 6:49 pm #2

Wow, if I were the understudy, I would be totally offended by the director's comment:

"Drew has done an incredible job, but understudies are not cast or hired as replacements. They are hired to take care of a worst-case scenario," Lansberry said. "This is such an epic production for us, and I wanted to make sure that it stays an epic event for our remaining audiences."

I know many understudies on Broadway who are just as talented as the lead but are hired as the understudy because they are so reliable, talented and able to play multiple roles. Choosing an understudy is not taken lightly by directors or producers and many understudies end up replacing the lead when they leave the show. Perhaps the director of this production of "Les Mis" didn't do HIS job and choose an understudy who was not ready.

Julie

Suzanne
Suzanne

October 4th, 2008, 9:43 pm #3

Wow!! I agree, Julie. I just read the article myself and was floored by the comments and actions of the director. How sad it is that the director failed his own cast and audience (in my opinion). I feel sorry for the understudy reading that...not to mention that it is ONLY ARVADA CENTER! I just shake my head. Sounds like they relied on a name for ticket sales instead of their own abilities to be the first to do Les Miz in Colorado.

Suzanne