old fan
old fan

May 29th, 2008, 12:21 am #31

I can't help it but I love the OBC and this doesn't sound like it holds a candle to it. I love the OBC.. the simple horn playing at the beginning of Maybe, Andrea's crystal clear perfect fiery, spunky voice and perfect belt, the orphan's pitch perfect voices and their perfect annunciations and I just love HKL exactly as it is, the orchestrations, the simple wistfulness of 'tomorrow', Reid Shelton's perfect Warbucks, everything is just PERFECT on the OBC. I hate trying to update and outdo the original with fancier orchestrations and more synthesizing and modern girls.... The OBC is just simply perfect. Nothing ever compares to the original for me.
I agree...to me Reid Shelton was the best Daddy Warbucks, for many reasons, although I liked C. John Schuck a lot, too. Reid just seemed to BE Daddy W. He had a great smile but also that gruffness required for the role. I liked a lot of very different Annies, but even on talk shows etc, Reid just seemed like such a wonderful guy, and talented performer. I read that he was very serious about giving his best, every single performance.

Dina
Dina

May 29th, 2008, 3:23 am #32

I try so hard not to compare original and recent recordings. I know that just because this isn't the original cast doesn't mean they can't be as talented or that the orchestrations can't work.

But for me, it *doesn't* work. And trust me, if I liked it I'd be raving endlessly.
It just falls flat. Literally. As in, can we TRY to hit the notes people? Ugh.

Oh well.

Canned music and a mish-mosh of performers; I don't get it.

So disappointing.
Drives me nuts! I wish Brittany could have put some oomph into it!!

Dina
Dina

May 29th, 2008, 3:25 am #33

I agree...to me Reid Shelton was the best Daddy Warbucks, for many reasons, although I liked C. John Schuck a lot, too. Reid just seemed to BE Daddy W. He had a great smile but also that gruffness required for the role. I liked a lot of very different Annies, but even on talk shows etc, Reid just seemed like such a wonderful guy, and talented performer. I read that he was very serious about giving his best, every single performance.
Absolutely agree. Reid Shelton was la creme de la creme of Warbucks...his voice has that Sinatra-ish, gorgeous quality. Harve Presnell was wonderful too.

CindyS
CindyS

May 29th, 2008, 11:07 am #34

I totally agree with your comment. Absolutely nothing coming from the actress. I, too, like the OBC. Orchestrations were much better, pitches much clearer, and enthusiasm 100%.

old fan
old fan

May 29th, 2008, 1:42 pm #35

..I won't be buying this CD, because I am faithful to the OBC one too ! Also I did not see the tour, so I don't have an "emotional investment ," lol, in it ! But I loved hearing the clips...unfortunately I agree with all the comments so far...

old fan
old fan

May 29th, 2008, 6:01 pm #36

http://www.amazon.com/Annie-Broadway-Mu ... 584&sr=8-3

Sounds awesome! Love the new orchestrations in the Overture!
..was the reprise of HKL which is not on the OBC album !

RLS
RLS

May 29th, 2008, 10:32 pm #37

Who is singing the solo in the begining of the Smile reprise? The one before Pepper's line?

Dina
Dina

May 29th, 2008, 11:02 pm #38

"Who cares what they're wearin'..."?? That is July (Taylor Bright). Then Molly (Lindsay R) singing "that ma-ha-ha-ters!" (well done, Lindsay! )

RLS
RLS

May 29th, 2008, 11:49 pm #39

I knew that was Lindsay (she sounded so darn cute, BTW), I just wasn't sure who was singing the other line. Is that how they sang that line in this recent tour? We missed it this time around. It sounds different than I remember it to be previously...

jessie
jessie

May 30th, 2008, 12:19 am #40

no. in the recent tour they had the girls talk the line, as opposed to singing it. personally, i much prefer them singing it. it sounds much better. the girls have good voices, why not use them? haha